2012 cayenne coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 01:41 AM
Vanquish11111
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2012 cayenne coolant leak

Hello every one!

I have a problem with my 2012 cayenne base really annoying me. Here's my story.

I parked my cayenne outside around 20 hours, then found coolant leak on the ground (photo attached).

As I remember, the check coolant level warning happened in the early of Jan, I added some coolant and water in, then the warning disappeared.
But one moth ago the check engine turned on, and I sent it to Porsche dealer in Rockville, MD.
They said the fault is something wrong with the secondary (auxiliary) coolant pump. I just had no time to fix it on that day, they said it was 100% safe to drive.
In the past month the check engine light disappeared twice and the came back, it's still on.
And I also notice the engine abnormal vibration when the engine runs around 1400 rpm also makes additional noises.

Last edited by Vanquish11111; 03-05-2018 at 01:44 AM. Reason: wrong words
Old 03-05-2018, 01:52 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Hi Vanquish - I'm moving your thread tot he 958 subforum since that's what you own. Hang on..
Old 10-31-2021, 06:16 AM
a8aw77
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Vanquish11111
Hello every one!

I have a problem with my 2012 cayenne base really annoying me. Here's my story.

I parked my cayenne outside around 20 hours, then found coolant leak on the ground (photo attached).

As I remember, the check coolant level warning happened in the early of Jan, I added some coolant and water in, then the warning disappeared.
But one moth ago the check engine turned on, and I sent it to Porsche dealer in Rockville, MD.
They said the fault is something wrong with the secondary (auxiliary) coolant pump. I just had no time to fix it on that day, they said it was 100% safe to drive.
In the past month the check engine light disappeared twice and the came back, it's still on.
And I also notice the engine abnormal vibration when the engine runs around 1400 rpm also makes additional noises.

Hi vanquish11111,

i've just seen your thread, and i have the same issue exactly the same as what you've experienced with your cayenne V6 base which are coolant leak and notice the engine abnormal vibration when the engine runs around 1400 rpm

have you found out what the problem caused is and what is the best way to fix it? any info and required parts would be very much appreciate it

Thank You Very Much

Regards,
Julian
Old 10-31-2021, 10:21 AM
schernov
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by a8aw77
Hi vanquish11111,

i've just seen your thread, and i have the same issue exactly the same as what you've experienced with your cayenne V6 base which are coolant leak and notice the engine abnormal vibration when the engine runs around 1400 rpm

have you found out what the problem caused is and what is the best way to fix it? any info and required parts would be very much appreciate it

Thank You Very Much

Regards,
Julian
there are two water pumps. One belt driven and one electric.

If dealer found codes - go back to the receipt to see what they were.

most common leak is the thermostat housing. It's on the driver side of the engine. Half way down.

you might have two related issues.
The following users liked this post:
a8aw77 (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 11:53 AM
a8aw77
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by schernov
there are two water pumps. One belt driven and one electric.

If dealer found codes - go back to the receipt to see what they were.

most common leak is the thermostat housing. It's on the driver side of the engine. Half way down.

you might have two related issues.

Thanks schernov for the info, really appreciate it

so the main issue is definitely water pump right?

do i need to replace both water pumps belt and electric?
the thermostat also need to be replaced as well?

The leak is between the engine and the radiator, its base V6 3.6 model, is there any possibility that the cooling hose flange as picture attached the problem caused as well?
i've seen someone thread
had the coolant leak issue and the problem is the cooling hose flange brittle

once again Thanks for your advice
Old 02-16-2022, 08:16 PM
Bossdog
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a similar leak on my 985-S as described in the video posted above. When you change that part, is there a need to bleed the cooling system? I thought the cooling system was pressurized?
Old 01-20-2023, 02:56 PM
AudieO
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What tool to remove the hose clamp?

The clamp teeth seem to be 180 degree apart so regular pliers wont work...thanks
Old 01-21-2023, 02:47 PM
mdistel
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I suggest a set of clamp pliers like this BETOOLL 9pcs Wire Long Reach Hose...
Amazon Amazon

If you can't find the leak visually by looking for white residue I suggest pressurizing the system, you may be able to rent the tool for free at an auto parts store.

Mark
Old 01-21-2023, 03:38 PM
AudieO
Intermediate

Thanks...I've just ordered this one:
Amazon Amazon

Old 01-28-2023, 02:41 PM
AudieO
Intermediate

Default Tips

I just replaced mine....here are the tips:
1. The screw is E-Torx 10 (ten). Be sure to clean it with spray cleaner to get rid-off the gunk build-up. Otherwise the E-Torx socket won't fit, or strip it. The head bolt is very shallow.
2. The hose clamp is very tough to reach, and the clamp is very strong! I pulled up the flange up using a rope, so the clamp is situated perfectly with a plier. I used this strong pliers to press the clamp. Very very strong!
Amazon Amazon
3. I got the flange from this:
Amazon Amazon
4. I used lubricant on the hose and flange for easy insertion.

Quick Reply: 2012 cayenne coolant leak