Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anyone install the Fumoto drain valve on the v8?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 05:30 PM
bluelt1ss
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone install the Fumoto drain valve on the v8?

I bought the Fumoto F104-N for my CTT and went to install it this weekend. Fumoto's website says this is the model compatible with our vehicle but I couldn't get it to spin all the way on. It would hit the ridges at the bottom of the oil pan before I could tighten it.

Has anyone else installed one of these successfully? I've emailed Fumoto and waiting for a response but thought I'd see if anyone else ran into this issue.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:31 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,230 Likes on 3,971 Posts

I used to use these on all of my cars until someone pointed out that with it sticking down like that it's just a future regret waiting to happen. If you run over a dead animal or tire gator, even with the increased clearance of the Cayenne over my other Porsche sports cars, it could get snapped off and you'd dump all your oil on the road, stranding the car, causing an accident for other motorists, or potentially damaging the motor. I've since gone to the LN Engineering magnetic drain plug. The other issue with the Fumoto is that the oil pans on Porsches usually have a slot cut into the oil pan drain threads in order to drain out all the oil in the pan. The Fumoto when screwed in covers up this slot, and since you don't remove it for an oil change, you'd leave about 1/2"-3/4" of used oil in the bottom if the pan during each oil change, and that's where any engine debris would also collect. With a regular drain plug this can get caught up and exit during the drain cycle, but with the small petcock opening of the drain valve, will pretty much stay in there forever to be recirculated. On one of my 997s where I was installing a deep sump, I tightened the valve in the pan before installing it on the car, marked where the slot in the oil pan lined up with the threaded collar of the valve, removed it, then cut a corresponding slot into the threads of the drain valve so I could get all the oil out of the pan, but that still doesn't help with the trapped debris problem and the small valve opening.

To answer your original question though, yes, I had that same issue when installing them. I rounded out the corners on my bench grinder and then they fit into the oil pan recess so I could get it tight and make a good seal.

Though super convenient and non-messy, for me, the con's outweighed the pros so I removed them.

Here's a shot of the one that was in one of my 911s. When I removed it there was, a pretty good scratch on it where it had contacted something but not hard enough to fracture it, reinforcing my removal decision.

I still have one on my GMC Sierra, but the drain hole is oriented to face the rear of the vehicle on the backside of the motor, so no risk of it snapping off on that application.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:16 PM
bluelt1ss
Intermediate

I worried about that, too while trying to install it. My thought it that it "should" be protected by the under carriage panel covering, though not guaranteed. I hate making messes while changing oil, and it's almost inevitable without the fumoto valve.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:27 PM
ndx
Racer

Fumoto are grate but I would go for https://www.nospillsystems.com - low profile version
Old 02-15-2018, 12:35 AM
bluelt1ss
Intermediate

But my post is about asking for people who have installed and if so how or what model. I already bought one and would like to use it before giving up and looking at other options.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:10 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,230 Likes on 3,971 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelt1ss
But my post is about asking for people who have installed and if so how or what model. I already bought one and would like to use it before giving up and looking at other options.
You can certainly use it if you'd like, just grind down the square edges that are interfering with the recess of the oil pan. Don't go too deep where you'd create a weak spot or a leak, just remove enough material to allow it to tighten correctly with a new crush washer against the oil pan opening. That's how I made mine work when I had used them.

Edit - this is the first time I see the picture you posted which shows that the valve release is interfering with the oil pan, not that it won't screw in due to the surround of the drain hole not being large enough. I think Fumoto either makes an alternate valve that has a longer area before the valve - more of an inline one vs the 90 degree release in your photo, or they offer a spacer / adapter that moves the valve further away from the sump pan. Maybe give them a call and inquire about those 2 options specifically. Here you go - http://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/F...nsion-Adapters and I think you need specifically this one - http://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/adp-104.html

If you do decide to proceed, the plastic underbody cladding won't provide much protection, but maybe you can take that to a fabrication shop and have them make you a substantial skid plate using the plastic as a template. On my 997, I ended up installing the LN Engineering stainless skid plate which is a substantial piece of stainless steel and will actually protect the deep sump I'm running. You'll want something that starts low and ramps up so that it can deflect the debris down or the car up if it runs over anything tall enough to contact the protection plate. Find the thread about Otis the offroad Cayenne to see what kind of underbody protection they're running as that might give you some ideas.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:05 PM
bluelt1ss
Intermediate

Thanks Petza, I think that adapter would be the missing piece on getting this to fit. Now, with that said, I would be worried how far it would stick down. I do like the idea of an aluminum skid plate. That would be much stronger protection. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Anyone install the Fumoto drain valve on the v8?