Sponsored By:

2011 Cayenne squeak from back seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 01:18 PM
gregj0008
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Cayenne squeak from back seats

There is a really annoying squeak/rattle sound coming from the back seat area. It maust be coming from the mechanism somewhaere as when the seats are folded down it stops. Any ideas on a fiox. I have sprayed WD 40 on all the bits I can see. Thanks
Greg
Old 02-12-2018, 01:25 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Hi Greg, welcome to the forum. Your 2011 is what's called a "958" (Cayenne 2011-present) and we have a subforum dedicated to that model. I'm going to move your post over there in the hope that some knowledgeable eyes fall on it.

One comment - WD40 isn't a lubricant. It's made to "displace water" (WD = water displacement, formula 40). A better choice would be some light spray lithium based grease (white in color). Squeaks can be caused by rubber rubbing on dry metal. I'm not sure how many spots that would include on the 958 rear seat mechanism, but I imagine there are a few in use when the seat is up. Best lubricant for rubber/steel is a silicone grease based lube. They're usually semi-clear in color.

OK - hang on, thread move in action..
Old 02-12-2018, 02:48 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

I thought I had a squeak / rattle too.. it drove me nuts, and went away when the seats were folded down. It was a damned water bottle in the rear seat cupholder (the console in the middle). Here's hoping yours is as simple to fix.. (I.e. start by emptying out the car)
Old 02-13-2018, 08:18 AM
Hams911
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the same exact issue in my 2011s and it drives me nuts. I had my wife drive and I sat in back and from what I can tell the seat backs in the rear “rub” against the rear pillars when the chassis flexes over bumps. Short term I may try to put a small microfiber detail towel in between the seat and pillar and see if that truly is the problem. If so not sure for a long term solution. But I hate rattles and unwanted noises in the cabin and this one is bad glad to hear I’m not suffering alone!
Old 02-13-2018, 11:53 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams911
I have the same exact issue in my 2011s and it drives me nuts. I had my wife drive and I sat in back and from what I can tell the seat backs in the rear “rub” against the rear pillars when the chassis flexes over bumps. Short term I may try to put a small microfiber detail towel in between the seat and pillar and see if that truly is the problem. If so not sure for a long term solution. But I hate rattles and unwanted noises in the cabin and this one is bad glad to hear I’m not suffering alone!
The noise my be from the plastic cover on the rear pillar flexing. I can't imagine the chassis flexing over bumps though.. You might try pushing the plastic pillar covers in hard to make sure they're fully seated. Also I found a dab of silicone grease on the plastic stabs on the covers that go into the metal clips on the chassis (or sometimes metal clips on the cover that go into holes in the chassis) will quiet things down. A microfiber towel may make it worse - or possibly better if it pushes the cover in further.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:03 PM
Hams911
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
The noise my be from the plastic cover on the rear pillar flexing. I can't imagine the chassis flexing over bumps though.. You might try pushing the plastic pillar covers in hard to make sure they're fully seated. Also I found a dab of silicone grease on the plastic stabs on the covers that go into the metal clips on the chassis (or sometimes metal clips on the cover that go into holes in the chassis) will quiet things down. A microfiber towel may make it worse - or possibly better if it pushes the cover in further.
Thanks I will give that a try. And you are correct I did not mean the chassis but the frame and pillars just shifting with the cars movement. Hopefully this will fix the squeak!

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne squeak from back seats