Sponsored By:

Cargo divider for sneaky dog

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 01:19 AM
Andy Hodapp
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Cargo divider for sneaky dog

I am going to soon take delivery of a 2015 Porsche Cayenne Diesel and will be using it often to take my dog on hikes. He is kind of an escape artist and looking at the Porsche rear luggage partition net I worry that he would slip through the side. Along with that can you use the rear rubber mat with the net? The other option seems to be the Travall guard but that appears to be out of stock everywhere along with the rubber mat designed to go with it. The Porsche rear cargo cage won't work as my Cayenne has the panoramic sunroof. I don't want to use a universal as they tend to rattle. Any recommendations for keeping my pup in the back? He often gets very muddy during hikes so having him in the back seat isn't really an option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:54 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the net and it works well for my dogs. I had to cut holes in the rubber Porsche cargo mat for the net's hooks. It works well and I don't believe that there is enough room for a dog to "escape".
Old 01-15-2018, 11:27 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Crap! I was going to order a Travall this week! Subscribed to see what you end up with.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:15 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

You can EASILY "de-noise" the universal type of divider if you decide that's your best option. We did the universal type in a BMW wagon. To stop the noise, all you have to do is get some wire ties and use them to hold the wire grids together at intersections. Pull the wire ties tight, and the 2 wire grids can't rattle or squeak. If the divider is black, you can get black wire ties and they are nearly invisible once installed and trimmed.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:24 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Would a safety harness for your dog do the trick? Something like this?
https://www.kurgo.com/car-safety-harnesses/
It would have the added benefit that it would keep the dog from going flying in the event of a crash or sudden stop.
T
Old 01-15-2018, 09:48 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

We have a roll bar just behind the rear seats. The top third has wide ~2 inch steel mesh to enable view out rear window. Serves as a roll bar and to keep items in the tailgate from coming forward in case of an accident. Our Weather-Tech mat fits with this set up.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:17 PM
EpiKAC
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Weathertech makes one that seems quite solid (won't rattle), and won't require you to modify your existing mat either:

http://www.autoanything.com/pet-travel/69A5164A0A0.aspx
Old 01-17-2018, 11:38 AM
Andy Hodapp
Racer

Thanks everyone for the help. Current plan is to get the Porsche net and rear mat. That might change in the future to the Travall and the high side Porsche rear mat. Will try to use some kind of harness system to keep him in back.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:49 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andy Hodapp
Thanks everyone for the help. Current plan is to get the Porsche net and rear mat. That might change in the future to the Travall and the high side Porsche rear mat. Will try to use some kind of harness system to keep him in back.
In case of an accident is the Porsche net going to prevent anything in the tailgate from becoming a missile coming directly at you?
Old 01-17-2018, 11:27 PM
Andy Hodapp
Racer

Originally Posted by RS-America
In case of an accident is the Porsche net going to prevent anything in the tailgate from becoming a missile coming directly at you?
Planning on restraining my dog. I'm guessing the net will do better then no net. Not sure what you are going for, people transport things in SUVs, wagons and hatchbacks all the time. I have a truck I use for heavy and dirt things, don't really plan on putting an anvil in the back of my Cayenne.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:01 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-America
Yes, including my dog when he is back there. The net and attachment points are robust. The top bar attaches to the roof metal frame and the bottom attachments are made fo the seatbelt material and the buckles are high-grade metal.

Technically, I don't store anything in the "tailgate", but I do use the rear cargo area.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:52 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andy Hodapp
Planning on restraining my dog. I'm guessing the net will do better then no net. Not sure what you are going for, people transport things in SUVs, wagons and hatchbacks all the time. I have a truck I use for heavy and dirt things, don't really plan on putting an anvil in the back of my Cayenne.
Our roll bar is for exactly that, protection in case of a roll over accident. The winch, probably the closest we come to having an anvil, is safe as it is secured to structure by being pinned in two places and secured in two more. We have a group-31 aux battery in a National Luna case which by itself though tied down I would not trust the tie downs and rear seat from preventing it coming forward without the roll bar. Same for the 50 quart electric fridge/freezer. Etc...
Aside from all this, I would not trust the seats and net from keeping our large dog in the tailgate if the accident were more than a fender bender, thus our roll bar and heavy metal mesh.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:00 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Since he mentioned using a harness and tether, I'd say he's taking good care of the doggo.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:17 PM
EpiKAC
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The Travall Pet Barrier seems to be back in stock now...

https://www.travall.com/en-us/porsch...-guard-tdg1260

Edit: Nevermind, gone again...

Last edited by EpiKAC; 01-19-2018 at 12:19 PM. Reason: bad info
Old 01-23-2018, 03:09 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Looking at this more closely.. I don't see any reason why the VW Touareg Travall guard wouldn't work.. Oddly enough, the one for the Cayenne appears slightly taller than the Touareg (if anything, I would have thought ours to be "shorter"). Other than being a little farther from the roofline (not a bad idea IMO), the VW appears to have 1 attachment for the optional divider while the Cayenne one has 2. That's not something I was going to buy anyway.
Compare, if you will:

VW: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg
958: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

If no one has any "BTDT, don't do it!" stories, I think I'm gonna give it a shot. It's also cheaper than ours by $40.

Quick Reply: Cargo divider for sneaky dog