Sponsored By:

Electric trailer brake controller, questions/help requested

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 02:36 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Electric trailer brake controller, questions/help requested

I'm going to pick up a new enclosed trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes next month and I need to install an electric trailer brake controller in the 2016 Cayenne.

Has anyone done this?

What should I get, that is hopefully plug and play or easy to install. I have the factory hitch and the factory 7 way round, but that is about all I know.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:09 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
I'm going to pick up a new enclosed trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes next month and I need to install an electric trailer brake controller in the 2016 Cayenne.

Has anyone done this?

What should I get, that is hopefully plug and play or easy to install. I have the factory hitch and the factory 7 way round, but that is about all I know.
It's the same as on the Touareg. Lots of posts online about it. here's one
https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...reg-90885.aspx
Old 01-03-2018, 05:14 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Since the Prodigy RF isn't compatible with EOH brakes, I'd suggest the RedArc pro or Prodigy P3 controllers. The RedArc only requires one hole to be drilled for the adjustment ****, and it the least obtrusive of the bunch.. https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...BRH-ACCV2.html I've pulled for many thousands of miles with the P3 in my previous truck and was very happy with the smoothness of it. Had the RedArc been available when I bought the P3, I would have done that.

GrandPaJohn's link covers the actual install well.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:23 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Thank you 1,000,000x. I truly appreciate the help.

Might the Touareg parts numbers also be the same for our Cayenne's?

Eskimo1, I had considered the Prodigy RF and wish I could have gone with that plug-and-play option but you are correct, it will not work with the EOH setup I'll have/be going with.

I have seen the RedArc and will probably go with it and your recommendation.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:13 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
Thank you 1,000,000x. I truly appreciate the help.

Might the Touareg parts numbers also be the same for our Cayenne's?

Eskimo1, I had considered the Prodigy RF and wish I could have gone with that plug-and-play option but you are correct, it will not work with the EOH setup I'll have/be going with.

I have seen the RedArc and will probably go with it and your recommendation.
Yes, Treg part numbers the same.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:30 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I just got back from going up into the space above the brake pedal and found the foam wrapped harness easy enough.

I liked the video that eTrailer posted with the install of the Prodigy, it is easy enough to do for sure. I was worried that I would not have that harness/plug but it was/is under there. Thanks for posing the link to eTrailer GrandPaJohn, it was super helpful. I did order all the parts from ECS tuning for about $32 shipped. I'm going to order the Teknosha Prodigy P3 and wire everything up so when my trailer is ready, sometime around 02/22/2018, I'll be ready.

Again, much appreciated.

Last edited by BenCD; 01-04-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:06 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Yep super easy. I bought the parts from my local VW dealer. I use a Prodigy P2.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:43 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

what is EOH? I have been using the prodigy RF for 5 years on both my 13 and now our 15 with no problems. Just have to pair it with a different vehicle initially.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:18 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MJG911
what is EOH?
Electric Over Hydraulic - different kind of trailer brakes. More complex, but better.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:47 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

I may have to look into what it might take to convert my boat trailer to EOH as right now it is surge. As a Titan EOH actuator alone is around $650, I think I'll stick with the surge brakes on all 4 wheels that have a full S/S setup on each wheel and have been working well. Maybe when I'm flush with more cash I might do the conversion but for now, just getting a Prodigy P3 will be enough.

I have a new PROLine SNO 714 enclosed trailer on the way and it comes with the EOH brake package on 15" galvanized wheels/Dexter Torflex axles. I had asked if the brakes hold up to the winter conditions/salt/road chemicals we get in the winter and the answer was that they do hold up. I'd prefer an all S/S caliper/rotor, brake pads and even hubs like are on my boat trailer but I'll see how it all goes as the winters roll on by.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:49 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Thanks again all.

I was able to easily find the factory foam-covered trailer brake harness just dangling up under my dash.

I got the four yellow wire harness from ECS for right around $30 and the VW parts numbers on the etrailer site are the same as what we use on our Cayenne's.

I bought a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 and wired it all up, plugged it in and mounted it last night and it works, even though I don't have a trailer hooked up, it works and the install was pretty simple. 3 more weeks or so before the trailer is finished.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:40 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

I had the dealer move my Tekonsha from my 955 to my 958 CD. Haven't towed with it yet, but it lights up as normal...
Old 01-29-2018, 11:13 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

I got the 7-way plug installed and hooked to my trailer just to see if I got any warnings about lights out, and was seeing intermittent issues.. Turns out the factory wiring that plugs into the 7-way plug has corrosion on the connectors. Looks like the factory "cap" isn't sealed.

Fortunately, the dealer is getting me a replacement under warranty.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:15 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
I got the 7-way plug installed and hooked to my trailer just to see if I got any warnings about lights out, and was seeing intermittent issues.. Turns out the factory wiring that plugs into the 7-way plug has corrosion on the connectors. Looks like the factory "cap" isn't sealed.

Fortunately, the dealer is getting me a replacement under warranty.
Hmmm - sucks it's on the car side.

I have corrosion issues with my trailer's plug. If the trailer sits a few months I usually have to dick with it a bit before I get the lights to work consistently. At first I thought it was the tow vehicle, but 3 tow vehicles later the problem is still there. Recently secured indoor climate-controlled storage so hopefully it'll be better this year...
Old 02-02-2018, 02:02 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Just don't skip the relay harness, or the brake controller will get an oscillating 6v signal all the time, like you're gently tapping the brakes over and over.

Quick Reply: Electric trailer brake controller, questions/help requested