Sponsored By:

Electric trailer brake controller, questions/help requested

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 07:42 PM
pvgolfer
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jrbkarter
Just installed the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite in the new tow vehicle- 2013 Diesel with the air suspension.
Well done! Did you install the dial into the dash, or did you have a professional do that? Looks great! I just picked up a Cayenne Diesel and need to get the brake controller installed. I currently use the Tekonsha P3 in a Mercedes GL450, but I'm thinking of going with the REDARC for the "stealth" look (controller box is hidden). Thanks for the tips! I'll give it a shot during the week...
Old 03-04-2018, 11:45 PM
jrbkarter
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pvgolfer
Well done! Did you install the dial into the dash, or did you have a professional do that? Looks great! I just picked up a Cayenne Diesel and need to get the brake controller installed. I currently use the Tekonsha P3 in a Mercedes GL450, but I'm thinking of going with the REDARC for the "stealth" look (controller box is hidden). Thanks for the tips! I'll give it a shot during the week...
Installed it myself. Past life I was a mobile installer (aka the guy who put your radio or remote start in) at Best Buy for the better part of a decade. Overall the install is fairly easy, pretty much as easy as it gets wiring wise. The largest hurdle for a DIYer will be the **** placement. I too previously had a P3 in my 08 CTT but was never pleased with its location and access to the lever for emergency (aka trailer sway) use. The Redarc is a much more finished look product but the Cayenne does present some challenges due to the packaging. There is little room under the front center console for the brain, plus the actual control unit for the Redarc **** is fairly large shaped so it present a challenge with depth needed behind the ****. Option two would be inside the armrest cubby as underneath the cubby provides plenty of room for the brain and the **** could mount below/replace the in cubby cig lighter. I pondered what someone else mentioned- replacing the cig lighter in the cup holder but that concerned me for two reasons- 1) drinks spilling on it and 2) me, or a passenger inadvertently twisting the **** while taking something in/out of the cupholders and finding out I either had way too much, or too little, brake the next time I needed them.

The location I settled on worked out for me as it provides direct line of sight while driving without being obnoxious, is easily accessed for adjustment, and reversibility wise will only require the replacement of the $150ish instrument cluster trim. Install does require enlarging an existing hole in the subdash for the OE sensor to the right of the Redarc **** but the structural capability of the subdash isn’t affected. It might be a little daunting to take an air saw to the dash of your Cayenne but it makes quick work of the job. From there- mounting the **** is easy as using the template to drill the two holes.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:21 AM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 117 Posts

I pondered what someone else mentioned- replacing the cig lighter in the cup holder but that concerned me for two reasons- 1) drinks spilling on it and 2) me, or a passenger inadvertently twisting the **** while taking something in/out of the cupholders and finding out I either had way too much, or too little, brake the next time I needed them.

Your setup looks great ...

Regarding my install, I will post pics when moderator fixes my issues for uploading.

Cigarette lighter position works just fine for me anyway ... unless the whole center console was submerged, the install is impervious to spills. A bonus is that the stock illumination ring around the lighter was retained so it is easy to see at night.

Regarding setting getting moved inadvertently, I don't think it will be an issue. In over 1500 miles of driving it hasn't changed as I've set it on 5 to determine if it is prone to accidental movement. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen but I will be more diligent when actually towing something. It is very easy to see.

Original lighter can be reinstalled as no over drilling was required, only time and the expertise of my installer.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:29 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

That is a sexy effing trailer if there ever was one...
Old 03-07-2018, 11:35 AM
jrbkarter
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eddieb4

Your setup looks great ...

Regarding my install, I will post pics when moderator fixes my issues for uploading.

Cigarette lighter position works just fine for me anyway ... unless the whole center console was submerged, the install is impervious to spills. A bonus is that the stock illumination ring around the lighter was retained so it is easy to see at night.

Regarding setting getting moved inadvertently, I don't think it will be an issue. In over 1500 miles of driving it hasn't changed as I've set it on 5 to determine if it is prone to accidental movement. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen but I will be more diligent when actually towing something. It is very easy to see.

Original lighter can be reinstalled as no over drilling was required, only time and the expertise of my installer.
That's going to be sweet to see! Love that they were able to retain the factory illumination ring around the ****, excited to see the pics (especially a night/dark cabin one!).

As for my install- like I said previously, it's what I felt was best for my situation. Everything boils down to a compromise of some sort but the more options we put out there in public, the more opportunities for someone to find it later on and be able to make an educated decision for their situation. I'll be putting some miles on the new setup tomorrow with the car in the trailer, rather than just the empty trailer for test driving, so I'll be curious to see how much adjustment is needed from empty to loaded. Also, it is interesting to monitor the color of the LED as braking pressure increases so that's a nice touch.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:55 PM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 117 Posts

That's going to be sweet to see! Love that they were able to retain the factory illumination ring around the ****, excited to see the pics (especially a night/dark cabin one!).

As for my install- like I said previously, it's what I felt was best for my situation. Everything boils down to a compromise of some sort but the more options we put out there in public, the more opportunities for someone to find it later on and be able to make an educated decision for their situation. I'll be putting some miles on the new setup tomorrow with the car in the trailer, rather than just the empty trailer for test driving, so I'll be curious to see how much adjustment is needed from empty to loaded. Also, it is interesting to monitor the color of the LED as braking pressure increases so that's a nice touch.

Here is the redarc installed. About the same size as cig lighter.

Illuminated at night and very conveniently located.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:04 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

The P3 has been working perfectly. I like being able to dial in the strength of the appliction of the brakes as well as three levels of additional Boost, and that I can see the settings quite easily on the display. The electric brakes makes slowing or stopping even better with the trailer than with no trailer it seems.

The trailer goes 2,150 lbs. Snowmobile 500lbs. Snowbike 300. 500 lbs of gear = just under 3,500 lbs.

I averaged just over 15 mpg in 250 miles of towing. I'm glad I got the wheels balanced as when I had first got the trailer and took it on the highway, empty, the trailer shook at right around 70 mph. When I had the trailer at everything up to 90 mph, no more shake, tracking straight and true. The trailer is a dream so far.

One more time, no need for a relay in this 2016. It truly is plug and play with the Tekonsha, Prodigy P3.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:12 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

eddieb14 - that looks great!

BenCD - Isn't it weird how so many manufacturers don't balance the wheels even on their higher end units? Kills me. The few bucks to do so will extend your tire life, the bushing life (on leaf spring axles), and is much nicer to the cargo, as well as the feel in the tow rig. Radial tires and balancing for me...always.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:41 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
eddieb14 - that looks great!

BenCD - Isn't it weird how so many manufacturers don't balance the wheels even on their higher end units? Kills me. The few bucks to do so will extend your tire life, the bushing life (on leaf spring axles), and is much nicer to the cargo, as well as the feel in the tow rig. Radial tires and balancing for me...always.
I agree. It is odd, that the spare tire had a weight on the back of it, opposite the valve stem. I didn't think to look at the backs of the wheels that were on the trailers for any weights as I didn't see any on the fronts/faces and figured that every wheel I've ever had balanced needed weights on the fronts. The only explanation I can think of is that someone just banged a weight on to compensate only for the valve stem and called it good.

I know, why send a trailer out that when the customer pulls it down the highway, it shakes everything.

I had the same thing with a new, tandem axle torsion aluminum boat trailer years ago. I had picked it up brand new. Took it on the highway and at 55 mph the entire truck shook so bad I thought that I had four square rocks for wheels/tires. Had the wheels balanced and as smooth as could be.

The tire guy had even tried to tell me that the wheels didn't need to be balanced. He said they'd do it and I had him do it and all was well.

I also had them balanced on my little open trailer with the 8" wheels and everything smooths out.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:35 PM
VAG944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys! Thanks for the info. I got the Prodigy P3 (etrailer $117) and wiring loom parts (ECS tuning $35) and installed yesterday............now just waiting for my custom Lark 8.5X20 to be built! Pics when I get it.

I was thinking about anti sway but not sure if I want to bother.......I'm know it'll make it that little bit safer......but can manual application of brake control stop a sway when/if it starts??
Old 03-21-2018, 10:07 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VAG944
I was thinking about anti sway but not sure if I want to bother.......I'm know it'll make it that little bit safer......but can manual application of brake control stop a sway when/if it starts??
Yup. stay in the throttle, and apply a little bit of brake manually. Anti-sway is a nice thing to have but it's not mandatory, and can always be added later.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:28 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

In all my thousands of miles towing my 7,000 boat/trailer and now my 3,500lb enclosed trailer, I have never experienced sway.

Even with high winds, getting passed by or passing tractor trailers in high winds, sway has never been induced in any of my trailers.

I think it is all set up. Get the setup right and sway is all but eliminated. That's just science.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:06 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Just installed the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite in the new tow vehicle- 2013 Diesel with the air suspension. Spent more time finding the factory wiring harness tucked away (just like I did finding the one in my 957 Turbo) than anything else. Pro-Tip for anyone looking for the factory connector- put the back of your right hand on the side of the brake pedal arm and slide it straight up until you hit the steel sub-dash. Then rotate your palm towards the rear of the truck- so towards the dash cluster- and then close your fingers over the ledge of the sub-dash. You'll feel the foam around the connector there and be able to pull the harness down/out. It is the ONLY thing with foam around it under the dash and though there's not a ton of slack, you'll be able to get it out enough that you can see it by either removing the entire lower dash pad or the fuse box. Otherwise, you'll be doing it entirely by feel to plug in your adapter harness.

Install wise for the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. I mounted the brain into the wide open rack system behind the fuse box that is meant to mount additional modules. With a little creativity you should be able to screw it into the module rack system for a secure mount. Redarc makes it clear that the brain must be mounted firmly- no ziptieing to a wiring harness/etc.

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...BRH-ACCV2.html

Other quick notes from the Redarc. Once installed you will need to drive the trailer around for a good distance/time in order for the brain to "learn" it's orientation. I'd definitely suggest planning for a half hour to hour of empty trailer driving before you load up the trailer to go out for real. Once programmed, the adjustment **** works fantastically and manual braking by pushing the **** in works as advertised. Happy to answer any other questions anyone may have on the install including any questions about the hitch install (mine did not have it from the factory) and PIWIS programming of the trailer module (something that should take 2 minutes but ended up taking much longer).

Now that is a trailer....WOW!
Old 03-26-2018, 02:59 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

The more I trailer with the new controller and electric brakes the more I love it and am thinking hard on installing an EOH system on my boat trailer as the power of the electric drums is incredible, never mind the absolute control I would have over the brakes application.

I just need to come up with the $1,000 it costs for the Titan EOH controller and the backup battery/breakaway system to go along with it.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:08 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
The more I trailer with the new controller and electric brakes the more I love it and am thinking hard on installing an EOH system on my boat trailer as the power of the electric drums is incredible, never mind the absolute control I would have over the brakes application.

I just need to come up with the $1,000 it costs for the Titan EOH controller and the backup battery/breakaway system to go along with it.
I thought you generally don't use electric brakes on boat trailers since you submerge the trailer to load/unload the boat?

Quick Reply: Electric trailer brake controller, questions/help requested