Sponsored By:

Electric trailer brake controller, questions/help requested

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 10:18 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
Thanks. I just got back from going up into the space above the brake pedal and found the foam wrapped harness easy enough.

I liked the video that eTrailer posted with the install of the Prodigy, it is easy enough to do for sure. I was worried that I would not have that harness/plug but it was/is under there. Thanks for posing the link to eTrailer GrandPaJohn, it was super helpful. I did order all the parts from ECS tuning for about $32 shipped. I'm going to order the Teknosha Prodigy P3 and wire everything up so when my trailer is ready, sometime around 02/22/2018, I'll be ready.

Again, much appreciated.
So I finally got around to pulling the brake controller and harness out of my Touareg and I can't figure out how to remove the knee bolster on the Cayenne to get to the foam connector. Ben, how did you get up to the connector?

Nevermind I got it.

Last edited by GrandPaJohn; 02-23-2018 at 08:05 PM. Reason: found answer
Old 02-26-2018, 09:04 PM
pvgolfer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=eddieb4;14815303]Apparently it's done and placed in the cigarette lighter position ... I was having a dedicated mute switch done for the k40 already so it de-frayed the cost a bit.
The k40 placement is pretty slick too ... QUOTE]

Would love to see some picts of the REDARC dial installed in the cigarette light hole. Sounds like a slick install !!!
Old 03-01-2018, 12:17 PM
Turbo S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it safe to assume that the install of the P3 is the same on the Macan. Sorry to ask here but can't find anything on the Macan forum. Really don't want to go with a relay if not necessary. Also, have considered the RF controller but am concerned about the pairing issue. Anyone have experience with either?
Old 03-01-2018, 12:31 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I wanted the RF controller, if only to be able to go from my truck to the wife's Touareg TDI but, it is not compatible with our vehicles. If it was, I would have gone for it just to make it even easier but the install of the P3 was easy once I had the $35 in parts. For once, it was cheap. Cheap and easy. Thanks to Porsche for including the wiring for us.

Not sure about the Macan. Did you check eTrailer.com?

The 2016 Cayenne does NOT need a relay. The brakes are working very well with no relay. Just the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 connected to the connector under the dash. The 7 way plug of the trailer connected to the vehicle and GO! = loving it!
Old 03-01-2018, 01:39 PM
Turbo S
Rennlist Member

I wanted the RF controller, if only to be able to go from my truck to the wife's Touareg TDI but, it is not compatible with our vehicles. If it was, I would have gone for it just to make it even easier but the install of the P3 was easy once I had the $35 in parts. For once, it was cheap. Cheap and easy. Thanks to Porsche for including the wiring for us.

Not sure about the Macan. Did you check eTrailer.com?

The 2016 Cayenne does NOT need a relay. The brakes are working very well with no relay. Just the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 connected to the connector under the dash. The 7 way plug of the trailer connected to the vehicle and GO! = loving it!
Haven't found any install instructions for the Macan. eTrailer has install videos for Cayenne and VW and they both look similar. Since I already own Tekonsha Prodigy P3 I'm going follow the eTrailer instuctions and go for it. Their instructions for 2016 VW is without relay. I'll try that first. I bought the plug and wire kit (plug # 1J0 972 782 is made in Germany and has VW and Audi logo on it) hopefully it will be plug and play.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:13 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Turbo S
Haven't found any install instructions for the Macan. eTrailer has install videos for Cayenne and VW and they both look similar. Since I already own Tekonsha Prodigy P3 I'm going follow the eTrailer instuctions and go for it. Their instructions for 2016 VW is without relay. I'll try that first. I bought the plug and wire kit (plug # 1J0 972 782 is made in Germany and has VW and Audi logo on it) hopefully it will be plug and play.
I would remove the panel above the brake/throttle pedals and look up to see if the factory trailer harness is up there and if it is "BINGO!" You'd be set.

I have seen that the Macan has a tow rating >4,000lbs, that ain't bad, and that the factory does offer the hitch so hopefully, like the Cayenne, it is pre-wired for the brake controller. Let us know how you make out.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:44 PM
Turbo S
Rennlist Member

I will be towing an open aluminum trailer with CanAm Maverick X3. Combined weight will be just over 2,000 lbs. Should tow just fine but I want the trailer brakes for the extra security since I'm sure we will be heading thru some mountain areas while heading to off road riding trails.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:50 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Turbo S
I will be towing an open aluminum trailer with CanAm Maverick X3. Combined weight will be just over 2,000 lbs. Should tow just fine but I want the trailer brakes for the extra security since I'm sure we will be heading thru some mountain areas while heading to off road riding trails.
I just got my first trailer with electric brakes on all four wheels and am loving the way the brakes work. I'm with you, I want brakes on the trailer no matter what and I love that the P3 has all manner of adjustments for the regular boost and three additional boosts. The system has been working very well so far.

I'm impressed that the Macan has such a high tow rating as >4,000 is not bad at all.

My wife had a 2006 V6 Rav4 that had a 3,500 lb tow rating and it pulled up to its limit pretty well also.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:44 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

I don't think the Macan has the wiring. You can check on the Q5 which i believe uses the same hitch but I think all you can get are wiring harnesses for the lights. You may have to go RF for the brake controller.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:48 AM
VAG944
Intermediate

I just got my first trailer with electric brakes on all four wheels and am loving the way the brakes work. I'm with you, I want brakes on the trailer no matter what and I love that the P3 has all manner of adjustments for the regular boost and three additional boosts. The system has been working very well so far.

I'm impressed that the Macan has such a high tow rating as >4,000 is not bad at all.

My wife had a 2006 V6 Rav4 that had a 3,500 lb tow rating and it pulled up to its limit pretty well also.

Where did you guys see 4000lbs........I've only seen 1653lbs for a Macan!!??

*EDIT* After a better search than Google I stand corrected........quite impressive, I'd rather have a Macan than a Cayenne but I have enclosed trailer and race cars.........and diesel for towing kicks ***!
Old 03-02-2018, 11:53 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VAG944
https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/m...nsport/towbar/

Read on my good man.

The tow cap used to be higher, Porsche lowered it a bit recently.

I remember when my sister in law got a new Q5. I was surprised when it was >4,000 lbs. It is 4,400 lbs now. For a smaller truck, that ain't bad.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:56 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by VAG944
Yeah I think this is fairly new (?) as I only recently saw this "towbar" kit. Previously I'd seen the same ~1600lb max tow rating.

I'd consider towing with a Macan "in a pinch" but being such a short wheelbase, I'd worry about the tail wagging the dog, so to speak. I'm paranoid my CD's wheelbase is awful short for my open car trailer.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:34 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

Towing with the Cayenne is fine. I towed the last several years with my old 955, a Featherlite 3110 with my M3. Never had an issue, felt really stable. My current diesel should be the same, but I'm lamenting the lack of air suspension on the diesel to self level the hitch...
Old 03-02-2018, 07:06 PM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Towing with the Cayenne is fine. I towed the last several years with my old 955, a Featherlite 3110 with my M3. Never had an issue, felt really stable. My current diesel should be the same, but I'm lamenting the lack of air suspension on the diesel to self level the hitch...
Can you put air bladders aftermarket?
Old 03-04-2018, 06:28 PM
jrbkarter
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

Just installed the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite in the new tow vehicle- 2013 Diesel with the air suspension. Spent more time finding the factory wiring harness tucked away (just like I did finding the one in my 957 Turbo) than anything else. Pro-Tip for anyone looking for the factory connector- put the back of your right hand on the side of the brake pedal arm and slide it straight up until you hit the steel sub-dash. Then rotate your palm towards the rear of the truck- so towards the dash cluster- and then close your fingers over the ledge of the sub-dash. You'll feel the foam around the connector there and be able to pull the harness down/out. It is the ONLY thing with foam around it under the dash and though there's not a ton of slack, you'll be able to get it out enough that you can see it by either removing the entire lower dash pad or the fuse box. Otherwise, you'll be doing it entirely by feel to plug in your adapter harness.

Install wise for the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. I mounted the brain into the wide open rack system behind the fuse box that is meant to mount additional modules. With a little creativity you should be able to screw it into the module rack system for a secure mount. Redarc makes it clear that the brain must be mounted firmly- no ziptieing to a wiring harness/etc.

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...BRH-ACCV2.html

Other quick notes from the Redarc. Once installed you will need to drive the trailer around for a good distance/time in order for the brain to "learn" it's orientation. I'd definitely suggest planning for a half hour to hour of empty trailer driving before you load up the trailer to go out for real. Once programmed, the adjustment **** works fantastically and manual braking by pushing the **** in works as advertised. Happy to answer any other questions anyone may have on the install including any questions about the hitch install (mine did not have it from the factory) and PIWIS programming of the trailer module (something that should take 2 minutes but ended up taking much longer).

Quick Reply: Electric trailer brake controller, questions/help requested