Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

If, IF there is a Gen2 3.0L buyback, what will you get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 05:56 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
More likely pressure from the RAM 1500 with its 3.0l diesel. And rumors of an impending Chevy 1500 and even Colorado) diesel option. And possibly even the upcoming Jeep pickup with its diesel.

The Nissan is somewhere between the 1500 and 2500 vehicles. More capability than a half ton, less than a 3/4. I'm sure there are common buyers, but I'd guess it's the other pure half ton diesel options that Ford feels pressure from.

I suspect that the Nissan draws interest from those considering the 3/4 ton trucks. If I was looking to replace my Ram 2500/Cummins, I'd start looking at that Nissan for sure!
Chevy already sells Colorado with the 4 pot diesel. Ram can no longer sell their pickup with the fiat diesel. I thought Nissan's Cummins diesel is not like the Cummins of the old. Jeep had the old Mercedes OM642 in 07-08 but have since replaced it with the Fiat diesel in their GCs in the past few years. That is no longer for sale like Ram.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:15 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
I've only ever really heard 2 complaints of the VR6 in the Cayenne. One is that the transmissions seems to "hunt" more in it where it just can't seem to find they right gear. I didn't really experience that, but I may have not given it that option

The second is that it is under powered. From my experience, however, those that complain about the power were mostly those that had driven the bigger engines or wanted the bigger engines. It won't win many races, but it doesn't seem to be a push over by any stretch. I does seem to have a lot of drama when you want to accelerate (kicking down multiple gears, lots of noise, etc..) though. That's what I like in the diesel over it. No drama, just go often without so much as a downshift.I wish I had gotten the 18s for the increased bolsters, but I certainly have no complaints with the 14s. I almost cut them to squeeze in full leather, definitely glad I didn't.
Have you gotten it up on the highway? I have found it feels passable in town, which I think is due to throttle trickerations. On the highway, calling for power, no one answers.

I hate that engine combo. And FWIW, I daily drove a second gen MDX with a 300 HP V6 and a 5 speed auto. That had more get up and go than a base Cayenne, IMO.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:47 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig
Ever? Like forever and ever? Or just the near term?
VAG said never. There is another ratcheting of the emissions standards due in 2022 I think it is. VAG said it was already going to be too difficult to meet those so it wasn't worth bringing any more TDIs over in the meantime.

It wouldn't surprise me that if the non-TDI diesel market survives (especially after the next round of regs) that VAG would bring some diesels back. I wouldn't expect to see them in Porsches again though since that was a niche market to begin with (though we do seem to be vocal about our love for it).
Old 10-17-2017, 06:53 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Have you gotten it up on the highway? I have found it feels passable in town, which I think is due to throttle trickerations. On the highway, calling for power, no one answers.
I did, but I didn't need to accelerate while at speed. It did, however, surprise me on the drive home with it that I looked down to find 5 and 9 together on the speedo and maybe not in that order...

I hate that engine combo.
If I didn't know the CD and also hadn't driven an S or better I really do think I would have been happy with that choice back in 2012. No going back though.

I do, however, see how if the base is all you know that you could question the "Porsche experience" though. It's capable and still an excellent vehicle, but there is definitely more that can be had.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:34 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I guess pretty easy...a high mileage 2008 'S' for around $15k. But i would miss so much the low end torque and wonderful 34mpg. Hopefully I could find one with all the needed fixes for 2008.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:16 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Chevy already sells Colorado with the 4 pot diesel. Ram can no longer sell their pickup with the fiat diesel. I thought Nissan's Cummins diesel is not like the Cummins of the old. Jeep had the old Mercedes OM642 in 07-08 but have since replaced it with the Fiat diesel in their GCs in the past few years. That is no longer for sale like Ram.
Incorrect. Fiat got approval for their diesels and they are back in business again.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:04 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Incorrect. Fiat got approval for their diesels and they are back in business again.
So I don't know why this thread exists. Its no longer Obama administration. EPA's budget got bludgeoned. These cars pass emissions.

There is no global warming. Some solution will be reached because there are no resources to answer otherwise by the EPA.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:11 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

So I don't know why this thread exists. Its no longer Obama administration. EPA's budget got bludgeoned. These cars pass emissions.

There is no global warming. Some solution will be reached because there are no resources to answer otherwise by the EPA.
This thread is about what you would look at if things progress to a buyback (unlikely) of our cars.

Please refer to the main scandal thread for discussions about the case itself. That subject has been beat to death there and doesn't need to be rehashed in other threads...
Old 10-18-2017, 11:34 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
This thread is about what you would look at if things progress to a buyback (unlikely) of our cars.

Please refer to the main scandal thread for discussions about the case itself. That subject has been beat to death there and doesn't need to be rehashed in other threads...
It is funny to me how some people feel like they need to read every thread or every post, as if someone is forcing them to read.

You don't like a thread or post, don't read, it is that simple.

Back one year ago, there were many who didn't think a Gen1 3.0L buyback would happen, then in 02/2017, the buyback was approved and all the Gen1 3.0L owners won the lottery. Some are hoping for a Gen2 3.0L lottery win and thinking out loud about what they'd get if it did/does happen. Shoot, I think about what to get next anyway. It's also known as daydreaming.

I think of the Gen3 Base Cayenne or the S, and would like to see how the F-150 will do with their 3.0L diesel but would not want to be one of the first owners/adopters of the motor unless it is taken from something else and put in the F-150.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:33 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Nissan Cummins is a 5.0 V8 twin turbo
Old 10-18-2017, 02:05 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
Nissan Cummins is a 5.0 V8 twin turbo
Which is why it puts in between the 1500s and 2500s. According to C&D, it's technically a 3/4 ton based on GVWR. But it's at the very low end of that category. When compared with 1500s (or 150s for the Ford crowd ), it's way above the capability, so, like I said, sitting squarely between the two.

Some 2500 buyers will consider it in their purchase choices (I would, if I had to replace mine) while, I think, anyway, many more 1500 buyers will include it in their comparisons as it offers more capability than the typical 1500; even (especially?) the new 3.0l diesel variants.

Quick Reply: If, IF there is a Gen2 3.0L buyback, what will you get?