Sponsored By:

Front brakes and rotors replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 03:00 AM
rajctt
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Front brakes and rotors replacement

The front brakes and rotors on my 2014 CTT need replacement. The local Porsche dealer is quoting $2000 approx including parts, labor and taxes. Is that a fair price?
Old 08-15-2017, 09:52 AM
PartsGuyGT
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rajctt
The front brakes and rotors on my 2014 CTT need replacement. The local Porsche dealer is quoting $2000 approx including parts, labor and taxes. Is that a fair price?
What kind of brakes do you have? Two piece rotors? Did they give you a quote with part numbers? I'm sure you could DIY for way less.

Best

Julian
Old 08-15-2017, 02:47 PM
fatmatt0116
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes

That's a decent price. I'm going to do the pads and rotors on my 14 tts soon and am contemplating an alternative to the factory pads due to squeal. Anyone have any advice for alternatives to the factory pads?
Old 08-15-2017, 03:25 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Moving this thread to the 958 sub-forum, since that's what'cha own..

And $2k if it includes rotors (which are around $500/each at Porsche prices) isn't awful It's only about twice what I'd expect it to cost at a good independent.

How many miles on your CTT? I did mine at around 65,000 miles - and the rotors were still within spec - so it just got pads. A dealer will always want rotors and pads - even with rotors that are within spec.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:15 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,265 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Moving this thread to the 958 sub-forum, since that's what'cha own..

And $2k if it includes rotors (which are around $500/each at Porsche prices) isn't awful It's only about twice what I'd expect it to cost at a good independent.

How many miles on your CTT? I did mine at around 65,000 miles - and the rotors were still within spec - so it just got pads. A dealer will always want rotors and pads - even with rotors that are within spec.
+1 to that - rotors last 2-3x the life of a pad, but dealers replace all together, which is not necessary. Consider doing just pads if rotors are within spec.

But for pads + rotors + labor and mounting hardware $2K is not too bad, assuming OEM Porsche parts.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:47 PM
rajctt
Instructor

Thanks for moving the thread to the right forum My 2014 CTT has 42K miles. I have non-ceramic brakes with the usual red calipers. Dealer is recommending front rotors and brake replacement. How do I find out whether rotors indeed need replacement? How much life do the rotors have? My driving has been pretty standard, no track or hard braking..
Old 08-15-2017, 08:25 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by rajctt
Thanks for moving the thread to the right forum My 2014 CTT has 42K miles. I have non-ceramic brakes with the usual red calipers. Dealer is recommending front rotors and brake replacement. How do I find out whether rotors indeed need replacement? How much life do the rotors have? My driving has been pretty standard, no track or hard braking..
You really need a ball-type micrometer (a big one - with ***** on the anvil and shaft - since a flat end will sit proud of any grooves) to measure the thickness. The specification is right on the hat of the rotor. Having said that - I've used a caliper to get a good guess of the thickness. You need one with a recess near the inner edge to it will clear the lip on the edge of the rotor.

And something can be determined by looking at the lip on the edge. That's pretty easy to read with a caliper using the extending rod at the other end of the caliper. Subtract that number x2 from the thickness across the two lips - and you have a reasonable number for thickness.

Oh - the reasons dealers replace both - it's not just additional profit (although I'm sure that plays a part in it) - it's liability - falls to the manufacturer if something is wrong with the new disk, would fall on them if they reused the old one - effectively certifying it's OK to reuse. And the brake pads will "bed-in" much quicker on new smooth rotors vs rotors with a bit of a wear pattern to them. The new pads are flat, flat to flat = quick bed-in. Flat to worn - not so much, the new pads have to wear to conform with the surface profile of the used rotor.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:03 AM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Pelican Parts sells the front rotors (Porsche part) for about $300 each. If these install like other rotors, they are EASY to replace yourself if you have an impact breaker of some kind (air powered or an impact wrench you hit with a hammer). But I agree with the others, if this is your first pad replacement, there's no way you should need rotors. Pads are easy to change. If you had an "S" model, rotors would only be about $100 each instead of $300 each! Note, I think these are slotted rotors, so you need a different part number for left and right sides. I looked up 2014 Turbo (not Turbo S, not sure if those are different than "regular" turbo or not.)
Old 08-16-2017, 12:04 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Scoot - Pelican's listings are really confusing. It isn't clear if the rotors they list for the CTT are the 390mm ones for the steel rotors.

A bit of Googling on the PN - gives https://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/o...or-95835140350 - and that's considerably less expensive than the Pelican price - and you know they are Porsche parts. It says on the Gaudin site it's for "Red Calipers" - which *should* be the right ones, but I'd call with a VIN# and check first.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:48 PM
rajctt
Instructor

Porsche dealer is quoting 2K for front brakes, rotors, labor and taxes.
A local Porsche repair shop (not dealer) is quoting 1.5K for the same – using different parts, lower labor rates etc. https://www.gerbermotorsport.com/

Few questions

1. Since brakes are so critical to vehicle safety. Is this something only Porsche dealers can do well? Or local repair shops are as good.
2. Both said that 90% or more times, both rotors and brakes are replaced. The need for rotor replacement can be decided once the car is in the shop and they can inspect it. Should I simply ask them or do both or make a decision on the day of repair?
Old 08-16-2017, 10:31 PM
deilenberger
Banned

1. No. A good local shop can do it just fine. A question for the Porsche dealer - are they doing a brake-fluid flush with the rest of the job. That's a good thing to do - and probably worth the difference in price if they are.

2. I'd make the decision when the vehicle is there. I'd guess 100% that both will recommend changing the rotors for the reasons I outlined above: profit, liability, redo costs.

Quick Reply: Front brakes and rotors replacement