Sponsored By:

Brake Controller Factory Pre Wire

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 11:10 PM
Newegg
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Brake Controller Factory Pre Wire

So i have a 2015 Cayenne Diesel, new to me but used. There was not a factory hitch installed so I need to get that done. I wondered if it was pre wired from the factory for a brake controller even though it did not have a factory hitch. It most defiantly is pre wired for a brake controller. Way the hell up under the dash! Just thought I would share.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:28 AM
Sweendk
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the factory hitch on my 2016 S yesterday. Today I intend to install the factory brake controller relay in the right rear body cavity inside the trunk. My plan is to have it initialized at my dealer so it will function. I'm thinking that a wireless brake controller my be my best solution. I won't cut factory wires by the brake pedal as some have done.
Wish me luck...
Kirk
Old 08-16-2017, 02:19 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Awhile back, i.e. a few years now, there was some discussion on this exact topic. I believe the consensus was that all 958's had the brake controller plug wired (you'll need a VW part and cables etc). It's a bit of a contortionist path to access it, as you need to get inside the dash area, left of the steering column (for left-hand drive vehicles). If you search for brake controller or something similar you should find it eventually. Also on RennTech there was a thread that gave detailed step by step instructions how to build the controller cable and plug into the Cayenne's under dash socket. It's simple but takes a little time - may be why many have opted for the wireless RF unit.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:42 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

The wireless brake controller is the way to go, not because it's hard to connect 4 wires, but for me I feel this isn't some junky pickup where it doesn't matter if you drill up the interior. I bet a new lower dash panel costs more than a Prodigy brake controller! The 957 is a little easier to find an under dash location to install a fixed brake controller, but it is not as easy with the 958 and even if you do install it, it's ugly and not really all that accessible. With the ProdigyRF there is no reason to drill and install an ugly controller somewhere and muck up the interior. You also don't need to worry about connecting to the harness.

Quick Reply: Brake Controller Factory Pre Wire