Sponsored By:

958 cup holders

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 02:58 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 958 cup holders

So I've had this 2011 CTT for a week and have already had enough of the fairly useless cup holders. Coke bottles with the contoured bottom simply cannot stay in place when taking even the most grandmother-friendly of turns. I pretty much have to keep a hand on take-out drinks for fear of them toppling over and creating a mess.
Is everyone pretty much just dealing with it? Spending $60+ each for the tequipment extension sleeve?

I went ahead and printed out a sleeve from a model on thingiverse. Fitment isn't super, but it is totally functional and cost a buck.
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2017, 04:19 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

How much with shipping to 07762? (Just sorta kidding.. well, not really..)
Old 07-22-2017, 04:22 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

I went with the Tequipment piece when my dealer had a good sale on them. I like it, does what it's supposed to do.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:14 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Well, the dood on thingiverse has added the Porsche tax and is selling them at $40, which, I get. Gotta be worth doing or you just won't do it.
This one isn't my design and was printed under a non-commercial license. (but I'll send you a sample if you'd like )

Actually, I'll be modeling a single-piece dual cup holder sleeve over the next week. I want the ability to put in a travel mug with a handle, as well as reasonable access to the 12v plug. Thinking I'll print in ABS and finish them with a rubberized coating. If there's interest, I'll make them available to my fellow forum members.

Last edited by AGARubberDuck; 07-22-2017 at 08:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. G7 (12-03-2021)
Old 07-22-2017, 08:51 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
Actually, I'll be modeling a single-piece dual cup holder sleeve over the next week. I want the ability to put in a travel mug with a handle, as well as reasonable access to the 12v plug. Thinking I'll print in ABS and finish them with a rubberized coating. If there's interest, I'll make them available to my fellow forum members.
That does sound cool. It eliminates the sliding console top - which I've never used except to see if it really does slide. It does. It's back in the rear position where I suspect 100% of them live 100% of the time.

Looking forward to what you come up with.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:57 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
This is my design and the current version fit's well. I do them in PETG so they should survive the interior heat in summer and, if interested, it's $40 for a pair shipped priority mail anywhere in the US.

There's some more info in this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post14078356
Old 07-25-2017, 01:16 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 199 Posts

My Yeti's both fit perfect, my 06 would not hold one!
Old 07-25-2017, 06:56 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 571 Posts

I bought 2......begrudgingly..........
Old 07-25-2017, 07:51 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

I do have my own model of a single cup holder now. Fits very securely and does the job it is supposed to do. 1st step in modeling a 2-in-1 sleeve.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:28 AM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Not to hijack your thread but if you are capable of CAD & 3D printing design might I suggest designing something that fits into the center console ashtray/coin holder that can be a base to mount an iPhone?

The PCM Nav is great but on my 80-mile RT commute I like to use Waze in conjunction with my radar detector. There's just no good spot to put my iPhone 6plus. Due to the slope of the windshield, it would block the Blendmount mounted radar detector. Any other solutions?
Old 07-26-2017, 01:50 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheUnscented
Not to hijack your thread but if you are capable of CAD & 3D printing design might I suggest designing something that fits into the center console ashtray/coin holder that can be a base to mount an iPhone?

The PCM Nav is great but on my 80-mile RT commute I like to use Waze in conjunction with my radar detector. There's just no good spot to put my iPhone 6plus. Due to the slope of the windshield, it would block the Blendmount mounted radar detector. Any other solutions?
I thought about this a bit. In my case, an HTC One. Even the HTC unit is too large (wide) to fit in the slot, which means a printed mount would have to stick up above the surface of the console. It's certainly within my capabilities to model and print such a thing, just not sure it's something people would want.
Are you thinking horizontal or vertical? Okay with it blocking view of the buttons behind it?
Old 07-26-2017, 07:20 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

^ agreed with a phone holder idea. Perhaps come up with a clip system with a shallow cup that can be used for various phone shapes..
Old 07-26-2017, 10:23 PM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

+2 for a phone holder that can be inserted/removed in the ashtray/coin tray. The best solution is probably a magnetic swivel mount; any phone can be equipped with a compatible case and then positioned to user preference when attached to the swivel mount. A requirement for me is the ability to quickly remove the mount and toss in the center console or glove box when not needed.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:28 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MountainStone
+2 for a phone holder that can be inserted/removed in the ashtray/coin tray. The best solution is probably a magnetic swivel mount; any phone can be equipped with a compatible case and then positioned to user preference when attached to the swivel mount. A requirement for me is the ability to quickly remove the mount and toss in the center console or glove box when not needed.
Can you link to something you have in mind?

Seems like there is some interest here so I can get something workable. This forum has helped me out enough it's the least I can do in return.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:08 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 138 Posts

I can tell you this, there's a ton of space 'wasted' by the assembly that holds the ashtray insert. This is the same pieces that holds the hinge for the flip-up ashtray lid. It can be unscrewed from the underside, allowing for use of the whole ashtray lid opening. Should someone be curious about the possibility of making a slot-in kind of phone holder...

This I discovered when pulling apart the console to install the auto stop/start memory disabling module from T-Design.

Otherwise when you pop out the ashtray there's quite a lot less space down in there. Not enough for many (any?) modern phones to slide down into it, certainly not if there's a case on the phone. But there would be 'enough' for a tang of some sort that snugged down into it to allow a larger mount above the console.

Getting the shifter surround out is relatively easy but fully removing it would also require popping out the center AC vents and possibly (iirc) loosening the four torx screws that hold the PCM in place. But you do not have to remove the PCM itself, just move it upwards enough to allow the surround to pivot up at the back and slide from under the PCM.

Quick Reply: 958 cup holders