Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

HVAC stuff - and how do you get the passenger footwell carpet up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 05:48 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I snipped off the flapper valve when I was doing the cowl drain clean out caper today. It was clear anyway. Easy to get to when you have the engine under tray off. The AC drain is not near the fender well.

Last edited by r553; 04-25-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: corrected access to AC drain
Old 04-25-2018, 08:41 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Just wanted to post in here- I'm having a similar issue where the passenger floorboard is getting wet, however it's only when it rains hard. I can run the A/C for hours on end and there's no problem. I'll post back here with my findings when I get around to troubleshooting it.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:24 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Sounds like your cowl drain might be blocked.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:04 PM
Deanomite
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, sorry to revive this old thread. I've done plenty of searching and reading as many threads as possible and this seems to be close to my issue. I am having a similar situation. How much condensation water is normal from the a/c evap drain while the a/c is running?

This is the second time i've pulled up carpet and vacuumed out water and cleared the ac evap line. The first time the cabin filter was wet and i assumed the drain pan or line was clogged. I cleaned up the tube, snipped the end and put it back together. Although I did not notice any significant blockage though. Fast forward 2 months, I have the water on floorboard issue again. I have sucked up about 1 gallon of water from the floorboards. I am going to chalk it up that i did not properly seat the drain hose the firewall and water was trickling down the firewall to the floor. I can't seem to get it to stay snug. So maybe my mistake there.

I do not see water coming from any other source at this time. I've checked my moonroof and i have no cowl blockage. I've fixed/snipped that remedy awhile back.

Now, I'm running the car on max ac and watching how much water comes from the hvac drain into a bowl. How much water is normal? I'm got 2 cups of water in about 12 minutes. It's a pretty steady stream of drips. Seems like a lot? I've blown shop vac air into the drain pan and sucked it out to try clear any drain pan issues. Perhaps a blockage in the pan or higher up? But it's hard to tell. The cabin air filter was dry this time, so thinking its not clogged in there somewhere.

I also have the issue where i am not getting any air on the drivers footwell when I have the setting to vent/floor. It does work when I have it on floor only. I am going to guess the air actuator flap / diverter is stuck and not splitting the air properly. Would this cause the system to backup or work harder and thus causing the excessive condensation draining? Wondering if its related. I have made sure my a/c setting is set to strong. I've also been following this thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...d-floor-2.html

As long as I can make sure the water is properly routed to the firewall, I think i'll have the issue resolved. Still have to address the floorboard air issue though.

Anyhow, ideas on how much water is normal or other areas to look at?
Old 05-31-2019, 08:03 PM
Deanomite
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure if my (Adjust Motor. ELECTRIC MOTOR. HVAC Air Inlet Door Actuator. ) is working properly. It closes when recirc is set to on, but barely moves back when recirc is turned off. Sometimes the gear does not move all when the button is set. Thus the vent remains closed all the time. Perhaps the reason for so much A/C evap drain condensation? I've got a small river coming from the tube.
This part here: https://www.porscheoempartsdirect.co...wd=&origin=pla

Does this have any control on the footwell ventialtion flap or is it just recirc feature?

Where can I purchase the motors / flap actuators? I only see entire blower motors for sale and they don't seem to include the other half that has the arms / motors / flaps, just the blower. Or do they include everything? The blower appears to be working just fine, its just the recirc and the footwell problem.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:28 PM
tbo_cruiser
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by r553
Don,
You are not going to like this. From AllDataDIY for my 92A:

WM 704119 Removing and installing carpet

Preliminary work

Preliminary work for carpet on driver's side

Remove driver's seat.
Remove centre console.
Remove front inner door sill trim on driver's side.
Remove cover under dashboard on the driver's side.
Preliminary work for carpet on passenger's side

Remove passenger seat.
Remove centre console.
Remove front inner door sill trim on passenger's side.
Remove cover under dashboard on the passenger's side.

Rob
That may be what is needed to remove/install carpet, but on the driver's side, I was able to pull up the carpet without doing all that on my 957. I tilted the seat up like you do when replacing the battery. Then, starting near the B pillar I pulled the carpet out from under the door sill and I was essentially able to get all the front carpet up off the floor so that I could reach under and dry as much as possible. Then I stuck a 32 oz. cup under to hold it up and laid a hair dryer under it for a few hours.

That said, I cannot see how to get the passenger side carpet up. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

And, I haven't even looked at the back seat floors. The driver's side is soaking wet for sure.

Old 07-23-2024, 12:20 AM
Tarek9xx
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanomite
Hi, sorry to revive this old thread. I've done plenty of searching and reading as many threads as possible and this seems to be close to my issue. I am having a similar situation. How much condensation water is normal from the a/c evap drain while the a/c is running?

This is the second time i've pulled up carpet and vacuumed out water and cleared the ac evap line. The first time the cabin filter was wet and i assumed the drain pan or line was clogged. I cleaned up the tube, snipped the end and put it back together. Although I did not notice any significant blockage though. Fast forward 2 months, I have the water on floorboard issue again. I have sucked up about 1 gallon of water from the floorboards. I am going to chalk it up that i did not properly seat the drain hose the firewall and water was trickling down the firewall to the floor. I can't seem to get it to stay snug. So maybe my mistake there.

I do not see water coming from any other source at this time. I've checked my moonroof and i have no cowl blockage. I've fixed/snipped that remedy awhile back.

Now, I'm running the car on max ac and watching how much water comes from the hvac drain into a bowl. How much water is normal? I'm got 2 cups of water in about 12 minutes. It's a pretty steady stream of drips. Seems like a lot? I've blown shop vac air into the drain pan and sucked it out to try clear any drain pan issues. Perhaps a blockage in the pan or higher up? But it's hard to tell. The cabin air filter was dry this time, so thinking its not clogged in there somewhere.

I also have the issue where i am not getting any air on the drivers footwell when I have the setting to vent/floor. It does work when I have it on floor only. I am going to guess the air actuator flap / diverter is stuck and not splitting the air properly. Would this cause the system to backup or work harder and thus causing the excessive condensation draining? Wondering if its related. I have made sure my a/c setting is set to strong. I've also been following this thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...d-floor-2.html

As long as I can make sure the water is properly routed to the firewall, I think i'll have the issue resolved. Still have to address the floorboard air issue though.

Anyhow, ideas on how much water is normal or other areas to look at?

I know it's an old thread, but better build on existing threads than start new ones.
I hope you solved all your HVAC issues, and I'm curious what your problem turned out to be, as I'm chasing an AC problem and have yet to get help or find info that is directly relevant.
Regarding the amount of condensate, it's proportional to the amount of humidity in the air, because the AC does 2 things: Drying and Cooling. If the ambient air is relatively dry, then the moisture in your footwell is the reason for the high condensate flow. The HVAC is drying your carpet. Theoretically under the right conditions, you could dry the whole car like that, if the AC is run indefinitely with doors/windows closed off with it being not too hot outside, so as the HVAC system would have capacity to keep up with the load.

Again, I'm hoping you solved your other HVAC issues and would like to know how if possible

Quick Reply: HVAC stuff - and how do you get the passenger footwell carpet up?