Sponsored By:

What do you tow? (958 Pic-thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 05:35 PM
Boostaddiction
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Isn't PASM is a stand alone option and then there was PASM + Air? So having PASM wouldn't do anything with the ride level, just the stiffness of the suspension?

Either way, 5-7K is a small load in comparison to what many more people tow without air in many other vehicles. Saying the happiest people tow "small" loads, compared to your "big" loads of 5-7K is a bit presumptions and even pretentious, too. Even putting it all into the Cayenne perspective, I suspect those towing at max weight with steel springs are just as happy as those with air... and even more happy when they see air systems break down.
Yeah, I thought the "A" in PASM meant "air", but not so... I guess I've seen it in context with PASM, so conflated the two.

The reference to small or large loads was in context to what the thread title is all about- towing with the Cayenne. The max rating for the Cayenne is 7716 lbs, so towing a 7K load is near the rated limit for the vehicle, which makes it a big load...
Old 12-24-2017, 06:33 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Isn't PASM is a stand alone option and then there was PASM + Air? So having PASM wouldn't do anything with the ride level, just the stiffness of the suspension?
I think you're right - I was referring to the CD option which is PASM + Air.

Either way, 5-7K is a small load in comparison to what many more people tow without air in many other vehicles. Saying the happiest people tow "small" loads, compared to your "big" loads of 5-7K is a bit presumptions and even pretentious, too. Even putting it all into the Cayenne perspective, I suspect those towing at max weight with steel springs are just as happy as those with air...
I'm sure I'd be a little happier overall if I could find a CD exactly like the one I'm wrapping up the deal on but also had PASM (& air) - it would ride level even with the trailer, I could stiffen the shocks while towing or having fun and also soften them up when the wife is with me, etc. etc.
With my current tow rig (Chevy Avalanche 2500, 8.1L), it's basically the same rig as my friend's Suburban, but he has the 'autoride' on his (leveling and adjustable shocks), and his was slightly better with his 32' travel trailer than mine was, but mine certainly handled it just fine, his was just a little bit better. I think we're dealing with the same kind of scenario, just scaled down.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:53 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Work horse , pulls boat , atv and dirt bikes
The following users liked this post:
Guards_Red_991 (12-31-2022)
Old 12-26-2017, 06:58 PM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default MJG911's Trailer

Thanks for the info and recommendation.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:03 AM
OC 991
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a heads-up, I too had a hard time finding a Cayenne with air suspension so I settled for one without...
In retrospect I wish I wouldn't have.
It's a hell of a thing to balance the trailer load so the wheel well gap front/rear is equal.

This shot it looks good (empty tank) but as soon as I filled up with gas the back dropped by 2 inches (sigh).

The following 2 users liked this post by OC 991:
anewman (06-16-2023), Guards_Red_991 (12-31-2022)
Old 12-27-2017, 08:30 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Am I doing this right
Old 12-27-2017, 01:03 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by knfeparty

Am I doing this right
The following users liked this post:
VRYALT3R3D (01-06-2020)
Old 12-27-2017, 06:39 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 991
Just a heads-up, I too had a hard time finding a Cayenne with air suspension so I settled for one without...
In retrospect I wish I wouldn't have.
It's a hell of a thing to balance the trailer load so the wheel well gap front/rear is equal.

This shot it looks good (empty tank) but as soon as I filled up with gas the back dropped by 2 inches (sigh).
to me it looks like you have your car too far forward on the trailer. Granted, I'm not an expert but it looks like too much weight on the tongue, even with the rear engine.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:31 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
to me it looks like you have your car too far forward on the trailer. Granted, I'm not an expert but it looks like too much weight on the tongue, even with the rear engine.
That also looks like a U-Haul trailer... which as I understand generally tow like sh*t anyways.

Also being a U-Haul trailer, you can't adjust where the car sits on the trailer.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:09 PM
OC 991
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
That's why there very little gas in the 911 and the engine/weight already sits beyond the trailer wheels.
Too much further back and it starts to get a bit lively (if ya know what I mean).
But I agree, the U-haul trailer is odd as it end right at the "front wheel stops" so you'll always have this crazy overhang.

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
That also looks like a U-Haul trailer... which as I understand generally tow like sh*t anyways.
Also being a U-Haul trailer, you can't adjust where the car sits on the trailer.
NOW YOU TELL ME...LOL
I did move it back by adding blocks... but it's a royal pain.
Air suspension would make life a whole lot less complicated in these situation.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:33 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I just picked this up yesterday. Custom ordered, took about 6 weeks but worth the wait. It came out awesome and exactly like I wanted.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:44 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BenCD
I just picked this up yesterday. Custom ordered, took about 6 weeks but worth the wait. It came out awesome and exactly like I wanted.
Congrats Ben! Your anticipation was palatable, I'm glad it came out exactly how you wanted!
Old 02-16-2018, 08:52 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
Congrats Ben! Your anticipation was palatable, I'm glad it came out exactly how you wanted!
Thanks Eskimo1. It is the little things that can make one very happy sometimes and this is one of them for me.

The trailer is going to be awesome. I realized that the trailer will be handier than a pickup truck and while towing the empty trailer 70 miles home, I was getting 16 mpg so that ain't bad. I'll be looking forward to seeing what I'll get with the sled and snowbike in the back and all my gear but it will still be better than any full size pickup truck where I would not be able to get both a sled and snowbike in the back of anyway.

With a 7,000 load capacity inside the trailer, I'll have no problems should I ever need to move anything that I can fit in the trailer as well.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:21 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Once I got the alumstinger drawbar, I couldn't resist hooking up the race trailer and see how much it squatted the CD's suspension - I'm pretty pleased, since I previously towed with an Avalanche 2500. It's a Car-Mate 7x16 extra-tall(6'2" interior height even with the insulation). Typical fully loaded weight is around 4500-5000. Setup for 2 bikes on a typical weekend, 3 if needed.

As pictured, this is basically worst case and not how it sits fully loaded, since the bikes are at the very back of the trailer, reducing tongue weight. (There's a big battery in the tongue toolbox, and up front in the trailer there's a microwave, fridge, shelving, spare tire, 2 EZ-ups, etc.)
The combo:

Hitched squat:

unhitched, for reference:
Old 02-16-2018, 03:28 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Had to make a last minute change to my winter storage arrangement..... sunny day today + had day off (new kitchen counters going in this afternoon) so took advantage of the clear roads to make the move.

Wife's Boxster is going to a buddy's garage, trailer going to an outdoor storage lot... first tow on the new '15. I get more squat than I did on my '14... will have to investigate a little there.

Quick Reply: What do you tow? (958 Pic-thread)