Sponsored By:

Put a deposit down on a 2016 Base

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 12:52 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Put a deposit down on a 2016 Base

I spent the past 2 months looking for a mid size SUV to replace the CLS550. The CLS is a fantastic sedan but the Airmatic suspension just cannot handle the awful NY area roads and I have had to have all 4 wheels straightened and also have replaced 3 tires due to pothole inducing sidewall bubbles. While the car was in the shop getting the wheels straightened I was given a Nissan Pathfinder to drive and I logged 1600 miles on a trip to Maine and I really enjoyed the space and the higher driving position. This is what started the search for an SUV.

The CLS has a twin turbo V8 and is a real *** hauler in a straight line but it is let down by the suspension so I never really drove it aggressively because it just isn't confidence inspiring. Also on the highway it'll get 28MPG all day long which is impressive. Additionally, I live in NYC and Long Island. The area is flat and congested and the roads are fairly boring.

I actually thought the search would be easy but after at all the usual mid-size suspects:
MDX- A big bunch of Meh
Q7- Super nice but too much tech that will eventually break out of warranty.
X5- Not a fan of the styling inside or out
RX350- can't get over the looks and the stupid joystick controlled infotainment system
GLE350- Land Barge with bad driving characteristics
Ford Explorer Platinum- Too truck like, poor fit and finish
Highlander Platinum- Really nice actually but dull driving dynamics
Macan- Yes it drives great, better than the Cayenne, but it is too small and is essentially the same $$ as the Cayenne.

I discovered there is no perfect SUV. All have rather obvious strengths and weaknesses. This may seem obvious to those with SUV experience but I thought the experience would be easier than it actually is.

I test drive a used 2016 Cayenne base yesterday (Panoramic Moon Roof, Lane Change, 14-way seats) and was really impressed by it compared to the others. Interior fit and finish was great. It handles better than the CLS and it seems to have enough power for what I will use it for. I've read here about people saying the Base is underpowered and that may be true if I wanted a true performance SUV but I think the driving dynamics still make it feel special and Porsche-like. Plenty of people are happy with base Boxsters and Caymans because the driving experience is there even if the power is not. Also I still have the 997 C2S for spirited driving.

This Cayenne has under 10K miles and it stickered for $70k and I can get it for around $55k. This seems like a decent deal and at this price it lines right up with nearly all the other SUV's I've looked at.

I also found a few '14 Cayenne S models with low miles for similar prices but they were all sold before I could've gone to look at them. At this point I am not going to test drive a Cayenne S because I don't want to know what I'd be missing. Also I am someone who considers MPG and driving around NY Metro in traffic wasting gas with the V8 doesn't make sense to me personally.

So I am pretty happy with my decision and I thought I'd share the thought process and see if anyone has gone through the a similar shopping experience
Old 11-30-2016, 01:00 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

I am in the peasant package camp as well.
Buy the least amount of gizmo's to break.
Navigation? My phone is better than most.
Air conditioning, a good seat, heated front and back.
No sun roof, would be a bonus.
A track pack Cayenne R?
Old 12-02-2016, 12:52 AM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Used Cayenne's are just amazing deals all around. In my experience, the Cayenne is not the best at any particular thing, but its probably the best all around vehicle on the market.

When I was shopping for mine, I test drove everything from Ford Fiesta's to a Nissan Titan XD to an AMG G-Wagen. I looked at it from the perspective of needing a utility vehicle and a fun daily driver and originally started looking only at utility vehicles - the driving experience was terrible so then I started looking at having two: a fun daily driver and a utility vehicle. In the end I settled on the Cayenne because it just did everything so well.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:22 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Mike- Solid decision. For use around the tri-state region, you'll be fine with the base Cayenne. I've had them as loaners, it's a bit different from our Diesel, but same handling and highway ride.
I too have a Mercedes, (E550 Cabriolet with the twin turbo). Fast as hell, but what a mess over the rough stuff. Looking to trade out of it soon. Can really understand why you got rid of the CLS. Think I'm done with MB.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:58 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Thanks PJ- I just picked up the Cayenne yesterday from BMW of Greenwich. I paid $55k for a 2016 with 5700 miles and it went into service April 2016 so I have the remainder of the new car warranty. It stickered for just over $72k so someone took it the shorts on depreciation. I drove it 100 miles to my house on long Island and to averaged 27MPG on the Long Island Expressway.

I'm really happy with the purchase. Car feels rock solid. Handling is superb. Interior leather quality is way beyond my expectations. Even the turn signal stalk feels like the one on my 997.

FYI- There is another Cayenne up at Porsche Audi Burlington Mass that is exactly the same price with 13k miles and it is certified and has the premium package plus and 18" base wheels instead of the turbo wheels and roof rack mine came with. I almost went for that to get the extra 2 years but Porsche's keyless entry and drive system is kind of wonky and I don't care about all the back seat options with Premium plus. Lastly wife didn't want to drive the 4 hours.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:59 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Congrats. I had a base Cayenne in between ownership of an S and a GTS. The base is sufficient for US roads. Having less electronics, for me, was good in terms of potential future repairs and the base's reliability didn't disappoint. If I needed more umph, I simply downshifted and it was just fine. I would even argue that it was more balanced handling-wise than the V8s.

Someone mentioned "Cayenne R" here. Love the idea. The closest is the GTS with minimal options. That or bring back the TransSyberia (which has the GTS drivetrain).
Old 12-03-2016, 04:51 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Proud owner.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:08 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts

Now get that BMW roundel plate off the front.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:12 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Now get that BMW roundel plate off the front.
Ha! It does look a little goofy doesn't it. I bought the car from BMW of Greenwich. I've got a temporary plate in the back. I can't put my plates on until I receive the registration.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:49 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mike9186
I spent the past 2 months looking for a mid size SUV to replace the CLS550. The CLS is a fantastic sedan but the Airmatic suspension just cannot handle the awful NY area roads and I have had to have all 4 wheels straightened and also have replaced 3 tires due to pothole inducing sidewall bubbles. While the car was in the shop getting the wheels straightened I was given a Nissan Pathfinder to drive and I logged 1600 miles on a trip to Maine and I really enjoyed the space and the higher driving position. This is what started the search for an SUV.

The CLS has a twin turbo V8 and is a real *** hauler in a straight line but it is let down by the suspension so I never really drove it aggressively because it just isn't confidence inspiring. Also on the highway it'll get 28MPG all day long which is impressive. Additionally, I live in NYC and Long Island. The area is flat and congested and the roads are fairly boring.

I actually thought the search would be easy but after at all the usual mid-size suspects:
MDX- A big bunch of Meh
Q7- Super nice but too much tech that will eventually break out of warranty.
X5- Not a fan of the styling inside or out
RX350- can't get over the looks and the stupid joystick controlled infotainment system
GLE350- Land Barge with bad driving characteristics
Ford Explorer Platinum- Too truck like, poor fit and finish
Highlander Platinum- Really nice actually but dull driving dynamics
Macan- Yes it drives great, better than the Cayenne, but it is too small and is essentially the same $$ as the Cayenne.

I discovered there is no perfect SUV. All have rather obvious strengths and weaknesses. This may seem obvious to those with SUV experience but I thought the experience would be easier than it actually is.

I test drive a used 2016 Cayenne base yesterday (Panoramic Moon Roof, Lane Change, 14-way seats) and was really impressed by it compared to the others. Interior fit and finish was great. It handles better than the CLS and it seems to have enough power for what I will use it for. I've read here about people saying the Base is underpowered and that may be true if I wanted a true performance SUV but I think the driving dynamics still make it feel special and Porsche-like. Plenty of people are happy with base Boxsters and Caymans because the driving experience is there even if the power is not. Also I still have the 997 C2S for spirited driving.

This Cayenne has under 10K miles and it stickered for $70k and I can get it for around $55k. This seems like a decent deal and at this price it lines right up with nearly all the other SUV's I've looked at.

I also found a few '14 Cayenne S models with low miles for similar prices but they were all sold before I could've gone to look at them. At this point I am not going to test drive a Cayenne S because I don't want to know what I'd be missing. Also I am someone who considers MPG and driving around NY Metro in traffic wasting gas with the V8 doesn't make sense to me personally.

So I am pretty happy with my decision and I thought I'd share the thought process and see if anyone has gone through the a similar shopping experience
^
Similar experience. Sold my '08CS because of nagging problems w/ the air susp/PDDC lines, etc.
I bought a 7k mi CPO '16 base, for $57k this summer.
My wife uses the SUV for winter, when we are not in Az. She drives BoxS whenever possible. We looked at a Macan, but very little room, and we have several sports cars we prefer to drive.
We only have a couple hundred miles on SUV but happy w/ the performance when in Sport setting.
I will keep an eye open for a "used" Diesel when they surface again.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:14 AM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 141 Posts

Good Move-and congrats.
After cancelling our order on a Diesel we ended up with a base model and love it. We now have 16,000 trouble free miles and it continues to run better and better. Plenty of torque and and all around great SUV.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:42 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Proud owner.

Beautiful, congrats! Love the 19" Turbo wheels. That's what came on my CTT, great balance between ride quality and performance, and very stylish classic look.

Enjoy it!
Old 12-04-2016, 04:12 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Ha! It does look a little goofy doesn't it. I bought the car from BMW of Greenwich. I've got a temporary plate in the back. I can't put my plates on until I receive the registration.
I bought one of my three past BMWs at that dealership (I live close by). BMW has completely abandoned the enthusiast market. After three wonderful 5 series (E39 and 2 E60s) I can't even look at a BMW now. I just see a Lexus. The Cayenne blows away the X5. Good find.

Quick Reply: Put a deposit down on a 2016 Base