Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2014 Cayenne Diesel Electrical Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 03:29 PM
Mtea
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Nodoors, I do have videos of several of the anomalies and photos where a video wouldn't add much, all of which I consider hard evidence. All videos and photos plus a written narrative were provided to the dealer via a thumb drive and to 800 Porsche via Dropbox. These problems have never thrown any codes and still haven't (other than the brake light). I have my doubts as to whether anybody technically inclined ever looked at the photos and videos at either the dealer or PCNA. Their position is that if there are no codes, the vehicle is operating to manufacturer specifications despite visual evidence to the contrary. I personally find this position indefensible particularly given a $75k sticker.

Last edited by Mtea; 10-25-2016 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-25-2016, 05:18 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Yikes. Sorry if I missed that detail earlier. Agreed on your last point. I still surmise these issues are going to get worse over time.

One other route. Try to get the dealer to CPO the car so at least you cover your butt with the extended factory warranty period until the electrical gremlins do finally cause a major problem. If they refuse to CPO the car knowing about these issues, then you have at least caught them in a bit of a logical/legal bind. It is more money out of your pocket, but likely cheaper than the eventual repairs or trading it one for one that is not possessed.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:29 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Stay after them. Don't give up.

Ask them why there diagnostic equipment, etc is not detecting these issues and to please bring in a PNCA Field Engineer.

I went down this road with a hatch that would not lock properly. Field Engineer showed up at the dealer for my car and another car with different issues. A few days later I hear from them and this has gone back to mother Porsche for a solution and then out came a software update and perfect operation since.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:34 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

I have heard this trick.
Leave your work order open. Don't sign it, if the problem has not be rectified.
Drives them crazy. Keep asking for a fix.
Germans engineers don't mistakes. You must be pushing the buttons wrong.
Keep on them.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:41 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

our 2012 CD used to occassionally just turn the radio up to full volume with no input. That and the headlight switch would move from Auto to Off all on its own. Our 2015 doesn't do either.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:08 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
our 2012 CD
Must be that you got the only 2012 CD so you got to work out all the bugs

That and the headlight switch would move from Auto to Off all on its own.
My 2013 used to do that from time to time. I finally figured it out though and it wasn't the car's fault (well, not entirely). My knee was bumping it as I'd get in or out of the vehicle. Not significantly that I even noticed until I started trying to figure it out, but enough that it would turn the lights off.

Changed how I get in and out so that my knee is less likely to hit it and I haven't had an issue since.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:20 AM
Mtea
Instructor

MJG911, funny you should mention the headlights turning from "auto" to "off". I have had that happen many times, although less so as of late. I'm an average size guy so my knees don't come anywhere near the light switch when getting in or out. I suppose it's possible the light switch issue is related to the other electrical issues. Interesting that you also experienced the volume going up with no input, similar to my experience.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:31 AM
Mtea
Instructor

I just remembered I had posted a forum thread about the headlight switch about 18 months ago. Three others had the same issue. See the thread here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...y-on-auto.html
Old 10-29-2016, 11:52 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radio

Originally Posted by pdxjim
I sometimes get the garbled AM at startup. I found switching to FM and back to AM clears it.
Me too. Not so much lately
Old 11-04-2016, 04:00 PM
Mtea
Instructor

After having PCNA tell me that my CD is operating according to specifications, I noticed this week that the front passenger seat belt warning is not working. Wife is sitting there with no seat belt and no warning. Also no warning that there is a problem with that system in the PCM display. We'll see what PCNA has to say about this.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:23 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That one is normal. Or at least I figured it was as my 2013 doesn't complain about unbuckled passengers.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:25 AM
Mtea
Instructor

Thanks gnat. I called the dealer before I saw your post and they said the same thing. Every other car I've had in the past 10 years had a chime when the passenger seat was occupied but the belt wasn't buckled - two BMWs and a GMC. It was so ubiquitous that I assumed it was required but it is not.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:07 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Must be that you got the only 2012 CD so you got to work out all the bugs

My 2013 used to do that from time to time. I finally figured it out though and it wasn't the car's fault (well, not entirely). My knee was bumping it as I'd get in or out of the vehicle. Not significantly that I even noticed until I started trying to figure it out, but enough that it would turn the lights off.

Changed how I get in and out so that my knee is less likely to hit it and I haven't had an issue since.
2013, typo! I thought it could be the knee, but its never happened in our 15.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:02 PM
Mtea
Instructor

Default Battery Replaced

I continued to have these electrical problems and also discussed the issues wirh a friend that owns a Ford dealership. He thought it quite likely that it could be caused by a bad battery. I also continued to notify PCNA as problems occurred and they continued to be of absolutely no help.

I had the CD into Lyle Pearson Porsche in Boise for an oil change and discussed the issues wirh the service manager. He and the dealership were super and decided to replace the battery on their own dime as PCNA would not cover it. Since the battery replacement I have driven five full days from Boise to Tampa and have had no issues. The battery may have been the problem. We'll see if all stays in order. I am very disappointed in PCNA.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:33 AM
Mtea
Instructor

Update. It’s now over a year later and the electrical gremlins are still gone (with the exception of my iPhone disconnecting or not connecting occasionally which could be due to many other things). I’m ready to say the battery was the problem and shame on PCNA for doing nothing. That has become my expectation now. I received a form letter from PCNA a couple months ago that started “Dear valued Porsche owner.....”. I thought this was laughable so I wrote back to them about how valued I feel after the battery debaucle. They still don’t get it.

Last edited by Mtea; 12-19-2018 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Spelling.

Quick Reply: 2014 Cayenne Diesel Electrical Gremlins