Sponsored By:

My new (2011 CTT) P!g !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 12:51 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
Thanks guys. I'd forgotten I didn't post the details over here. I posted up on STG's sale thread as I wanted to do a write up on my CarMax experience. Check it out here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8636...l#post13344599Thanks, wasn't looking for the PCCBs (and actually almost passed on it because of them) but the inspection said the rotors had absolutely no wear. I mainly just wanted the PDCC and the Burm was a bonus.I need to look into that, I think CarMax did that.
I'd recommend a dealer inspection for the PCCB rotors. Can't do it visually or with calipers like steel brakes, requires a special tool to measure density of the carbon in the disks. You got a great deal on a good car, but worth at least checking at your next visit for service.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:46 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
I'd recommend a dealer inspection for the PCCB rotors. Can't do it visually or with calipers like steel brakes, requires a special tool to measure density of the carbon in the disks. You got a great deal on a good car, but worth at least checking at your next visit for service.
Thanks. I actually had it checked with the PPI and they said no issues. I will have to double check how they checked!
Old 06-12-2016, 09:45 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTSinAtown
Wow! Great ride! Black with black trim... and turbo II wheels.

Is your front plate on a factory mount? Most plates mount to the painted part of the front bumper. I recently mounted my plate on the grill - homemade mount. Some blockage of airflow, but no change in operating temps so far...
Turns out on a Porsche backing plate, but just zip tied through the grill fortunately. Snip, snip and we're back in business with a nice clean front.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:24 PM
GTSinAtown
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting your plate pic... whoever did that saved you some nasty holes in your front bumper!
Old 06-15-2016, 01:15 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 668 Posts

+1 GTSinAtown

And if A Town is Allentown PA, then you know full well that PA doesn't require front plates, and thus your front bumper is probably ALSO NOT DRILLED. Big plus in my book.

My '12 CTT came from PA, and also does not have holes drilled in the front bumper. I am VERY happy about this not only because it looks nice & clean without a plate,... but ALSO because Maryland does require front plates, but the law makers have been tossing Bills up for approvals, stating that...

"if the vehicle was manufactured without a means to secure and display a front plate.."

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/hb/hb0577f.pdf

I understand that those House Bills have not passed yet,... but the cops have been leaving all the high end vehicles ALONE that do not have holes drilled in their front bumpers.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:24 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Thanks for posting your plate pic... whoever did that saved you some nasty holes in your front bumper!
Yep - I was pretty happy to see this set up. Looks a lot better now.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:39 AM
GTSinAtown
Track Day

Austin, Texas. Texas is a two plate state. When driving home from the dealership with my new GTS, a DPS cop tried to pull me over for no front plate. Luckily a rear paper plate allows for an short-term exemption from the law...

Zip ties and Velcro... sorry to highjack your thread Dalema! Awesome ride!
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2016, 01:32 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Austin, Texas. Texas is a two plate state. When driving home from the dealership with my new GTS, a DPS cop tried to pull me over for no front plate. Luckily a rear paper plate allows for an short-term exemption from the law...

ATown, your plate is blocking airflow. The plate takes up a considerable % of the grill.

I'd consider the tow hook mount instead.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:17 PM
kino1161
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Turns out on a Porsche backing plate, but just zip tied through the grill fortunately. Snip, snip and we're back in business with a nice clean front.

The one I purchased from Suncoast mounts just as that one (different way of attaching). No drilling needed.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:01 PM
GTSinAtown
Track Day

Originally Posted by Texas993
ATown, your plate is blocking airflow. The plate takes up a considerable % of the grill.

I'd consider the tow hook mount instead.
Thanks for the comment Patrick! I'm assuming the concern is that the blocked airflow into the grill is impacting cooling, so I ask:

1) Does the air hitting the plate disappear or get redirected? If the air is redirected, then I expect it is forced around to plate into the grill area, thus little to no air entering into the compartment behind the grill is actually "lost".

2) Does the plate cause a "hot spot" on the radiator due to blocked airflow? This may be true if the radiator of very close to the grill. But the radiator is actually some distance back from the grill, thus allowing air forced into the grill the efficiently pass through the radiator.

3) Does the Cayenne have radiator mounted fans? I assume so as most vehicles do... so also assume that at some temperature these fans would kick-on to provide additional cooling as needed, such as my bumper-to-bumper 45-minute daily commute, which definitely impacts "air-flow" into the grill.

Assumptions on my part, true... but ever since I installed the plate on the grill (3 months ago) there has been no change in cooling performance of my Cayenne... as evidence by a solid 200 degrees reading of both the oil and coolant temps.

Of course the true test will be a Texas summer... so I will continue to monitor closely and remove if there is any change in temps.

And IMHO the tow hook mount is unsightly. But I appreciate the suggestion.

Dalema and Kino1161, since you both have front grill-mounted plates, how's your temps?
Old 06-16-2016, 10:09 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2016, 10:12 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Dalema and Kino1161, since you both have front grill-mounted plates, how's your temps?
Can't help you, I didn't have it on there long enough to tell
Old 06-17-2016, 08:37 AM
kino1161
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't help you, I didn't have it on there long enough to tell
My temps didn't change...... 08 GTS.

Quick Reply: My new (2011 CTT) P!g !!