Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

958 Battery Questions..

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2022 | 02:26 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
They are supposed to last way longer but they have a way shorter warranty? 1 Year is a no Buy in my book.
That's because they have sooo much confidence in their product?
The following users liked this post:
RAudi Driver (10-21-2022)
Old 05-25-2023 | 08:29 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Anyone put a lithium battery in their 958? Was the stock one 850 or 950CCA?

Old 05-25-2023 | 11:05 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by luciano136
Anyone put a lithium battery in their 958? Was the stock one 850 or 950CCA?
I wouldn't waste the money on a Li battery for this car.
Old 05-26-2023 | 03:56 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I wouldn't waste the money on a Li battery for this car.
Yea, may not be worth it. Main motivation would be because they hold a charge much longer, so no need to connect to a battery tender if your car sits for weeks on end. Just put one in my motorcycle; built-in jump starter is nice too.
Old 06-01-2024 | 08:05 PM
Jhenry4
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Tappet
I spoke to a local Porsche shop about it. They said if your car has the auto-start-stop, it will disable itself at some point due to battery age, and programming a new battery resets that countdown, but otherwise, there's no difference. I was unable to register my new battery with iCarSoft or Foxwell, so I had them do it with their PIWIS. I've noticed no difference in charging voltages or anything like that,
I've experienced a similar issue (on a 2012 958 S) wherein the auto start/stop was disabling itself. Took it to the dealership to find out that the battery, that they replaced only 2 years ago, was at 69% and was disabling the auto start/stop. They also claimed it was an aftermarket battery and not under warranty!
- WTF, the dealer installed an aftermarket battery that they won't warranty! Any off the shelf battery can be had with a 5-10 year warranty.
- Has anyone else dealt with battery warranties with the dealership and if so what was the strategy and outcome?
- Why did this battery disable the auto start/stop below 75% (as claimed by the dealership) when the previous battery that was in place for 7+ years, and was replaced at 46% life, never disabled this feature?

Thanks to the community for the insights.
Old Yesterday | 04:20 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Default H9

Just replaced my what-looks-to-be possibly an OEM battery (from VW). I can't see a date on it, and I doubt it's original to the car (2011 Cayenne Turbo). HOWEVER, the carpet pad you remove as part of this process still was intact in two spots, like it wasn't cut, which makes me wonder how in the world they ever replaced a battery previously... And let's just say my battery was dead. I mean, DEAD DEAD. No amount of jumping or charging or anything helped. I had to use the old trick of hooking up the new battery to the old (via engine bay connections) and let it sit for like an hour. Then I had enough juice to at least move the seats for bolt access.

I opted for the H9 AGM option vs H7 or H8 for a little higher CCA and amp hours or whatever. Man it is a beast of a battery though (heavy).

I wouldn't say I rushed through the install, but I needed to get my car up and running. Now looking back at this I may not have reconnected the vent tube. So I think I'll have to take it all apart and check again. Anyway, this puppy fires the startup way better than before. Of course, I have 3 warning system failure messages, but I hope they'll go away after 30min of driving or so, per my internet research...

fun fun

old OE battery?

new vs old

I believe OE is H7 and I opted for H9 baby!

warning failure messages

warning failure messages

warning failure messages
Old Yesterday | 05:52 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jhenry4
...They also claimed it was an aftermarket battery and not under warranty!...
What did they mean by "aftermarket battery". Everyone knows Porsche does not manufacture batteries. It is a MOLL, Banner, or Varta... With Porsche sticker (maybe printed in China.)
Anyways, they installed the battery, surely any car battery should last more than five years (unless some catastrophic drain)
The following users liked this post:
ElSpoon958 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 05:59 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ElSpoon958
Just replaced my what-looks-to-be possibly an OEM battery (from VW).
I'd be surprised if Porsche used a DieHard (Advance Auto Parts/Sears/Johnson Controls, all American companies) as OEM. How OEM was replaced with an aftermarket DieHard without cutting the carpet is another mystery.
Old Yesterday | 06:26 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
I'd be surprised if Porsche used a DieHard (Advance Auto Parts/Sears/Johnson Controls, all American companies) as OEM. How OEM was replaced with an aftermarket DieHard without cutting the carpet is another mystery.
No no, I replaced the OEM battery WITH the DieHard, today. Lol. I was saying I knew it was OEM because the carpet hadn't been cut. That was my first clue.

I was just surprised the OEM battery lasted nearly 140,000 miles! On another thread here, another member said theirs lasted 150k! I guess when they're protected and covered up they can last longer.

The DieHard H9 I installed is beefy. Should last the remainder of the vehicle's lifetime now lol
Old Yesterday | 08:12 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

The old Varta battery codes on the negative terminal look to be "47 13" which implies 47th week of 2013. So the battery is definitely over 10 yrs old but don't think it's original to the car as it's a 2011 Turbo. As for how/why the carpet was uncut, I don't have an answer for that.
Old Yesterday | 08:14 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

date stamps are circled in red.

Old Yesterday | 09:12 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Originally Posted by ElSpoon958
I was just surprised the OEM battery lasted nearly 140,000 miles! On another thread here, another member said theirs lasted 150k! I guess when they're protected and covered up they can last longer.
Replaced the original battery in my 2003 VW Jetta TDI at 390K miles in early 2012, it lasted almost 10 years. And replaced that one in January 2024, so it went about 12 years and 120K miles (not driving as much).
Seeing the longevity of the original battery, I just go to the dealer and get OEM. They are about the same price.

Old Today | 01:37 AM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

The carpet did not have to be cut on my 2013 cd to replace the battery.

Quick Reply: 958 Battery Questions..