Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cayenne Diesel (958) Engine Braking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016 | 06:37 PM
Zingari
Pro

Default Cayenne Diesel (958) Engine Braking?

Has anyone noticed how the tiptronic gearbox and its selection of the low gears when slowing down has an effect as if causing resistance which then makes it quite jerky when in traffic queues?

I've never known this with an auto box before and whilst I undertsand the 'blips' as it changes down it creates a resistance you dont expect and exaggerated slowing down.

It feels as there are too many gears for it to make its mind up which one it should be in. I'm wondering if there is an adaptation/reset I can do?
Old 01-28-2016 | 07:05 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

I find the opposite problem, but that's because I use downshifting to stay off the brakes when driving a stick.

For me I find at low speeds it up shifts too soon so about the time it's at the point I'm going to let off the gas and let it engine brake, it up shifts.
Old 01-29-2016 | 01:01 PM
Zingari
Pro

Agreed gnat, but it does surprise me that when driving it in 'auto' mode the affect it has on slwoing the car down, it feels like there is some abnormal resistance.

I suppose the theory is it is downshifting to provide a faster response for when you move off? Having driven Range Rover as a nearest comparison weight/engine size the RR is a far smoother experience
Old 01-29-2016 | 04:51 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

This behavior was a pleasant surprise for me. Very much like a manual tranny in the engine braking. For my '04, turning PSM off in stop-and-go traffic is a mistake because of it. The engine braking power in 1st gear is excessive. In rush hour I'll slide the shifter over to manual and shift on my terms.
Old 01-30-2016 | 07:17 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Same here. I pop it over to Tip mode when I am going too fast to stop, just to save some pad. Works great....

Quick Reply: Cayenne Diesel (958) Engine Braking?