Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Brake wear

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2024 | 12:18 AM
Jsteele71
1st Gear

Default Brake wear

New here, picked up a 2017 958 about a month ago. The break wear indicator turned on last week. Is there a way to tell if it’s from or rear brakes that need changed? Or do you have to pull the wheels and inspect?
I’ve changed plenty of pads myself, but never with sensors. Anything I need to look out for? Do the sensors automatically reset with new pads?
Old 09-14-2024 | 09:02 AM
twokbolt
AutoX

Once the sensor is tripped it's going to require a replacement of the part. Recommend you pull the tires off and use something like this
brake lining gauge brake lining gauge
to check wear front and rear.
The following users liked this post:
Jsteele71 (09-24-2024)
Old Today | 07:52 AM
FA18C
Intermediate

Just did this - better to pull a front and rear tire to check. I would guess it is the fronts, mine were essentially on their last legs - but I drove around 500 miles after the light and message came on. Interestingly, the pads I pulled off were Akebono, which I have been unable to find as a desired replacement. The pad replacement was pretty straightforward - spent considerable time cleaning the caliper. Also changed rotors - good price at dealership parts. It took some rubber mallet pounding to get those off - likely original. Car has 63K. Took me 3 hours longer than it should have, but happy with the repair. Rear rotors are in great shape, so plans to just do pads in the rear,

If it is the rears, you may have to go through a "grinding in" procedure with a scan tool... Will find out about that later today - then on to oil/filter and transfer case service. Certainly opportunity to save $$$.

Quick Reply: Brake wear