Rear Coolant Crossover Fitting Info

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2024, 09:56 AM
sportsbud
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Coolant Crossover Fitting Info

Hello all,

First post but I have a 12' Cayenne S that I have been working through making sure all is good. I have noted two things, one I have the infamous glued in pipes on the T-STAT housing (planning on replacing the whole assembly) and was able to confirm with an endoscope that I have a glued in fitting on the rear of the engine for the coolant crossover pipe.

I really really want to fix this issue before it becomes an issue but want to do a one and one solution of threading and tapping that fixture. That is where I came across this thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-caye...d-adaptor.html

While great and really what I want to do, I do not have a machine shop to custom make that aluminum fitting... Does anyone have schematics to bring to a machine shop (if I can find one) or is willing to help me make a one off fitting?

I love this car but every time I hit the gas coming out of a corner I just think of that little pipe popping out and violently loosing all my coolant...
Old 08-13-2024, 01:05 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 477 Posts

Just spend a couple hours and pin the lines, and be done with it! Making a threaded in fitting is over doing it.
The following users liked this post:
CAVU (08-13-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 02:51 PM
sportsbud
6th Gear

Yea I may be. Part of the reason why I wanted to do the threaded fix is time constraints where I work on the vehicle. It would be incredibly difficult to bring it to my shop (Self help auto center) and have to wait 24 hours for the JB Weld marine to cure before pumping it back full of coolant and driving off.

I did notice that there are two variants of JB Weld marine. One is in a two part epoxy syringe and the other in the normal two tubes. The one in the syringe has a cure time of like one hour... but half the PSI strength. I am not sure if that will be enough. I do not want to get it all together and blow the damn fitting out when I fire it up to back it off the lift...
Old 08-15-2024, 03:38 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 477 Posts

If the pipe has not popped out, the whole job is a couple hours to pin the thermostat lines and the rear pipe and may as well change the vent line while you're there. It's overkill and unnecessary to remove it, glue it, then pin it. Just pin it if it has not moved out of place. This way there isn't any downtime - pinning the lines uses Red loctite which is fine to get going once you've wrapped up the job - I've done it many times this way.
Old 08-15-2024, 04:10 PM
sportsbud
6th Gear

Originally Posted by garrett376
If the pipe has not popped out, the whole job is a couple hours to pin the thermostat lines and the rear pipe and may as well change the vent line while you're there. It's overkill and unnecessary to remove it, glue it, then pin it. Just pin it if it has not moved out of place. This way there isn't any downtime - pinning the lines uses Red loctite which is fine to get going once you've wrapped up the job - I've done it many times this way.
I was looking at getting alluminum set screws but not having much luck there. Any suggested size? Im handy with tools but not an expert at this. If a local shop new orleans would be affordable I'd have them do it but all shops are always really really busy... I'm probably going to go to the local porsche dealer to order the seals and gaskets as online is ridiculous for those. But I'm going to replace the tstat housing with the updated model. I'll do the crossover pipe as well.

Quick Reply: Rear Coolant Crossover Fitting Info