Sponsored By:

Just purchased CPO 2015 Cayenne S-E Hybrid - Hybrid Battery Degradation

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2024 | 12:27 PM
Cender
3rd Gear

Default Just purchased CPO 2015 Cayenne S-E Hybrid - Hybrid Battery Degradation

Hey All,

Just recently joined the Rennlist family and looking for a bit of advice with my current situation. Any help is much appreciated.

A few weeks ago I purchased a CPO 2015 Cayenne S-E Hybrid from Porsche Lancaster with the optional 3rd year of CPO coverage (knowing how complex these hybrid systems are). On the Porsche CPO report that was provided (attached), it stated that “Battery % State of Health= %100”. I made sure to ask about the hybrid battery being covered if anything were to go wrong during the CPO window and they said it depends on factors but should be covered.

However, fast forward a week later I noticed after a full charge I am only getting about 7 miles max (in 80 degree weather) but according to the manual I should be getting approx. 22 miles which equals about 70% battery degradation. This would prove that the CPO report was incorrect in stating its current State of Health at 100% and should’ve realistically stated 30%.

Do I have a chance at negotiating with the dealership to get a battery replacement under warranty considering the CPO report on battery health was incorrect and misleading? Any advice on how I should approach this situation with Porsche Lancaster?

Any help is much appreciated.

best,
Chris

This is the Porsche CPO report that shows where they stated the Battery health is 100%
Old 07-30-2024 | 01:28 PM
Malmenator
Instructor

I'm not sure where in the manual it says 22 miles of range. Lots of articles/reviews online state that its EV range is 14 miles. Maybe you're looking at 22 as in kilometers.

I've got a 2016 E-Hybrid with 105k miles on summer tires and I'm getting 11-12 miles in the morning without running AC and 8-10 miles in the afternoon on the way home with the AC on blast in 90-95degree weather. Range is definitely affected by AC usage, tire compound, elevation changes, and how much of a lead foot you have.

With that said, 7 miles doesn't seem TOO far off in this current weather if you've got the AC running full blast.
Old 07-30-2024 | 01:59 PM
Cender
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Malmenator
I'm not sure where in the manual it says 22 miles of range. Lots of articles/reviews online state that its EV range is 14 miles. Maybe you're looking at 22 as in kilometers.

I've got a 2016 E-Hybrid with 105k miles on summer tires and I'm getting 11-12 miles in the morning without running AC and 8-10 miles in the afternoon on the way home with the AC on blast in 90-95degree weather. Range is definitely affected by AC usage, tire compound, elevation changes, and how much of a lead foot you have.

With that said, 7 miles doesn't seem TOO far off in this current weather if you've got the AC running full blast.
thanks for the response - glad to hear your oem factory battery is still going strong - maybe I’m being overly cautious but what happens when the battery degrades further. For example when the max range is 1-2 miles in a few years, will the hybrid system still start the car and operate normally or will there be a point where replacement is a necessity?
Old 07-30-2024 | 02:56 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Wow, how does the hybrid system work in the cayenne? Both motor and battery power the car or is it just battery for a while then motor?
Old 07-30-2024 | 03:03 PM
Cender
3rd Gear

It’s pretty neat - it always starts in electric mode (neighbors like this lol) then the ICE kicks in around 2-3 rpm or if sport mode is engaged.

heres a description from Google:

The electric motor provides immediate maximum power output, while the combustion engine builds power and torque as the vehicle accelerates. The two systems work together to share the workload and keep the charge level consistent. The electric motor also supports the combustion engine in most driving situations. When the battery level is low or the driver needs more power, the combustion engine kicks in. At higher speeds and outside of town, the combustion engine takes over completely to charge the battery to 80%
Old 07-31-2024 | 12:59 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'd say that CPO form is saying the 12V battery under the driver's seat is 100%... which has nothing to do with the hybrid battery.
Old 07-31-2024 | 01:32 AM
World Player
Intermediate

Originally Posted by garrett376
I'd say that CPO form is saying the 12V battery under the driver's seat is 100%... which has nothing to do with the hybrid battery.
I concur.

With regard to your question regarding a failed high voltage battery: Porsche hybrids, like most —if not all hybrids out there— do not function at all if the battery is missing, or if the battery is in place but has reported a fatal error to the car’s other computers. The reasons are at least 3:

1) Passenger safety and company liability. If the battery designers estimated that a certain condition could increase beyond a certain threshold the basic assumption that the battery is a fire risk, they built in disabling programs to reduce company liability.

2) In Cayenne Hybrid the air conditioner compressor does not run off of a belt. It is an electric compressor running off of the high voltage battery.

3) In Cayenne Hybrid the engine start motor does not run off of the 12v battery, but off of the high voltage battery.

Last edited by World Player; 07-31-2024 at 01:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Malmenator (07-31-2024)

Quick Reply: Just purchased CPO 2015 Cayenne S-E Hybrid - Hybrid Battery Degradation