Sponsored By:

My first SUV, first Diesel, with Air Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2024, 04:25 AM
blackairforce1
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 44 Posts
Default My first SUV, first Diesel, with Air Suspension

Just purchase a 2014 Cayenne Diesel with Air Suspension, with 230K miles on the clock. Took me half a year too find a CD with air suspension at a great price. I'm pretty excited to work on this car and drive around since it's my first diesel car, and first SUV that's I'll be using as my daily driver when the 992 get's tiring. The air suspension makes the ride just as comfortable as my e38 740iL. Maybe I'll sell the e38, idk. It has tow package, but I don't tow anything.

There's a laundry list of maintenance that I compiled that I'd like to do to get a peace of mind. Let me know if I'm doing too much or if I'm missing anything.
  • Brake Pads & Rotors (urgent)
  • Brake Fluid - 207K 1/2023
  • Engine Oil & Filter
  • Engine Air Filter
  • Fuel Filter
  • Cabin Air Filter
  • Wheel Alignment
  • Drive Belt (looks okay)
  • Front Differential Oil - 186K
  • Rear Differential Oil - 186K
  • Transfer Case Oil - 186K
  • Transmission Oil and Filter - 186K

Mods
  • Mr12Volt Carplay
  • Clear side markers
There's a caveat with this car, it has oil leak at the RMS and timing cover. From what I read, it's not catastrophic just dirty so I'm okay with leaving it as-is until I think the repair-cost is worth keeping the car. I appreciate any advice, tips, or suggestions you guys have for me into keeping this car in road-trip worthy condition.

Last edited by blackairforce1; 06-12-2024 at 07:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Al Faromeo (06-13-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 11:16 AM
NightFury
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd check all your suspension bushings. At 230k miles, they're probably getting pretty tired if they haven't been replaced yet. I'm prepping to do mine this summer at 140k.

I'd also recommend installing the trailer connector in the rear if it hasn't been done yet (they have a block off plate from the factory). You may not think you need to tow anything, but it's nice to have the option to if the need arises. Plus, these things tow amazing, especially with the load leveling capability of the air suspension.
Old 06-12-2024, 11:51 AM
World Player
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the gorgeous color scheme and on finding the extremely rare air suspension on a Diesel. Counts as a unicorn in my book.

NightFury: I see what appears to be a block off plate from the factory on mine. I presume there is no tow hardware behind, so the options seem to be a Curt or Draw-Tite aftermarket one, unless people here advise getting a factory one, which I suppose will come at an unreasonable cost, unless it comes with great advantages? Anyway, at this point, my main concern is about electronic or electric hardware required to wire the trailer. Just tap into the backlights? Or is there an electronic box to be sourced from the dealership?
blackairforce1 (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 12:39 PM
jaustin
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow, Nice! Did you find it locally?
Old 06-12-2024, 02:51 PM
blackairforce1
Instructor

Originally Posted by jaustin
Wow, Nice! Did you find it locally?
Yeah, it was half an hour away from me.

I'd check all your suspension bushings. At 230k miles, they're probably getting pretty tired if they haven't been replaced yet. I'm prepping to do mine this summer at 140k.

I'd also recommend installing the trailer connector in the rear if it hasn't been done yet (they have a block off plate from the factory). You may not think you need to tow anything, but it's nice to have the option to if the need arises. Plus, these things tow amazing, especially with the load leveling capability of the air suspension.
Suspension bushing looks okay, but I'll take a closer look when I'm doing the brake job. I hate replacing suspension bushings. It should already have the trailer connector but I'll check.

Also this car is equipped with Power Steering Plus. What does that do on this car? Makes the steering lighter? Can it be coded off?

Just found out the entire drivetrain fluid was replaced at 186K. Is it still due at 230k miles, or am I good for another 24K miles on the ATF?

Last edited by blackairforce1; 06-12-2024 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2024, 10:45 PM
NightFury
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by World Player
I see what appears to be a block off plate from the factory on mine. I presume there is no tow hardware behind, so the options seem to be a Curt or Draw-Tite aftermarket one, unless people here advise getting a factory one, which I suppose will come at an unreasonable cost, unless it comes with great advantages? Anyway, at this point, my main concern is about electronic or electric hardware required to wire the trailer. Just tap into the backlights? Or is there an electronic box to be sourced from the dealership?
There should be a connector behind that block off plate if you have the factory tow package it doesn’t come on the car because trailer connectors are different in different countries. All you have to do is purchase the specific plug for your market. This is the one I got for US 7pin trailers: Pollak 11-893P RV 7-Way Socket I then use a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter for smaller trailers if necessary.

if your Cayenne didn’t come with factory tow, then you’ll need a trailer module for controlling lights etc. and an additional wiring harness. Tow package is also pre-wired for a trailer brake controller, just need a breakout harness for under the dash and your preferred controller.
World Player (06-12-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 08:47 PM
adameldridge
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd start saving for the oil gasket fix. Was just quoted 15K to fix my leaks. 55 hrs to drop the engine and trans to replace the timing chain cover gasket and upper oil pan gasket.
Old 06-15-2024, 01:55 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by adameldridge
I'd start saving for the oil gasket fix. Was just quoted 15K to fix my leaks. 55 hrs to drop the engine and trans to replace the timing chain cover gasket and upper oil pan gasket.
That's the Porsche tax. Audi dealer quoted me just under $10K for my '13 Q7 TDi.
Old 06-15-2024, 01:56 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by World Player
the options seem to be a Curt or Draw-Tite aftermarket one, unless people here advise getting a factory one, which I suppose will come at an unreasonable cost, unless it comes with great advantages?
Used Q7 tow bar can be found very inexpensively, and it has the advantage of being true OEM. (Q7 and Cayenne bars are identical.)
Old 06-15-2024, 04:07 PM
blackairforce1
Instructor

Originally Posted by lml999
That's the Porsche tax. Audi dealer quoted me just under $10K for my '13 Q7 TDi.
10K sounds reasonable for a reseal. I'm just gonna dump BlueDevil Rear Main Sealer and see how it does after the next oil change.
Old 06-17-2024, 01:11 PM
Farmer Michael
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by blackairforce1
10K sounds reasonable for a reseal. I'm just gonna dump BlueDevil Rear Main Sealer and see how it does after the next oil change.
I have just been living with mine, I think mine is just the timing cover leaking and I think that it's not as bad as I thought - when I changed the oil a few weeks ago I fitted a new drain plug, obviously with a new crush washer, because the old drain plug looked tired and never looked clean. I have a piece of cardboard in the garage where I park my Cayenne which normally has oil drips on it straight away but so far it is clean.

Congratulations on the car, it looks to have taken the miles very well. I love the espresso and cognac interior, I have the same in my car.
Old 06-17-2024, 03:17 PM
blackairforce1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Farmer Michael
I have just been living with mine, I think mine is just the timing cover leaking and I think that it's not as bad as I thought - when I changed the oil a few weeks ago I fitted a new drain plug, obviously with a new crush washer, because the old drain plug looked tired and never looked clean. I have a piece of cardboard in the garage where I park my Cayenne which normally has oil drips on it straight away but so far it is clean.

Congratulations on the car, it looks to have taken the miles very well. I love the espresso and cognac interior, I have the same in my car.
Thanks, I just wiped the bell housing after the oil change. Doesn't bother me too much. If the HPFP doesn't grenade during the next year or two, I'll pay someone for a new timing chain assembly and RMS.

What does bother me was that I found coolant leak in the valley. Looks like I'm going to tear down the intake manifold and replace oil cooler gaskets, and clean out the soot in the intake. Also, the speakers (except the subwoofer) stopped working for a moment until I restarted the car. I think the BOSE amp is on it's way out. I'm a masochist for clapped out euro cars.
Old 06-20-2024, 02:01 AM
blackairforce1
Instructor

Default CP4 Bypass Kit?

Is it a good idea to install a HPFP metering valve bypass kit while I'm under the intake manifold to address the coolant leak?
https://whitbreadperformance.com/pro...44741025890463

I've been reading about the risk of HPFP failures destroying the fuel injectors which is $$$$. Does anyone have any experience with failing HPFP, or installing this kit? Or will changing fuel filters regularly mitigate HPFP failures? Keep in mind my HPFP has 230k miles on it.

Quick Reply: My first SUV, first Diesel, with Air Suspension