Sponsored By:

Dead as a …….

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2024, 02:16 PM
sdiamond
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, will do and let you know
seems like maybe kinda sort of a fuse or antitheft right? if battery at least has some volts but nothing on the dash
Old 06-03-2024, 02:50 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 278 Posts

I do still recommend " - Have you checked the related fuses in the left and right side of the dashboard and in the engine compartment". You will find a few pages in the owners manual that can help you ID which ones to inspect.
Old 06-03-2024, 03:17 PM
sdiamond
Advanced

negative unplugged will give it an hour, will inspect fuses during that time to see if any blown
just want to say that I so appreciate you keeping on the question! there have always been a 'few good men' that actually try to help
you seem to be one of those, thanks again, will keep you posted
Old 06-03-2024, 05:28 PM
sdiamond
Advanced

YOU ARE DEFINATELY TO THANK
Reconnected the negative terminal in front seat footwell, put key in lights on and the car started right up!!!!!!
ALTERNATOR SHOWS 14.3 VOLTS so it's charging as well.
if I can stop smiling for a minute, what would the negative terminal 'reset' that it worked
I will keep it on the trickle charger and make plan to visit the Porsche dealer to have the 'key not recognized' issue sorted out

Old 06-03-2024, 05:59 PM
twokbolt
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like terminal connection might have been a little loose. Also for future reference SOH: state of Health, SOC: state of charge.
Old 06-03-2024, 06:34 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sdiamond
YOU ARE DEFINATELY TO THANK
Reconnected the negative terminal in front seat footwell, put key in lights on and the car started right up!!!!!!
ALTERNATOR SHOWS 14.3 VOLTS so it's charging as well.
if I can stop smiling for a minute, what would the negative terminal 'reset' that it worked
I will keep it on the trickle charger and make plan to visit the Porsche dealer to have the 'key not recognized' issue sorted out
Yes, keep it on the trickle charger. The battery is still a PRIME suspect!!! Once you have it charged. Run the tester again. Then every week test it in the morning after it has been sitting all night. Time to collect some data poitns. When you take it in about the key, ask them to test the battery and give you what date PIWIS is reading for when it was last swapped out for new.

Sometime after your wife parked the car and when it was restarted one of the modules got confused. I have seen this happen with batteries slowly on their way out. Your car has probably 30ish modules (computers) in it. Rare, but it does happen.

Just in case there is a module that is on its way out, you might carry a wrench for the negative cable so that you can do a reset in the future when not at home. Put it in the tray built into the seat front along with a triple hex bit for the seat rail bolts should you have to change out the battery away from home. On that note, I do not wait anymore for a battery failure. If car starts to exhibit uncharacteristic electrical behavior, I test the battery and if I do not like the SOH and SOC, then time for a new battery. Absolutely must be painful to be for anyone traveling with a Cayenne battery failure. FUGH! . Just my thoughts.

Really glad that it was that simple. I hope you have earned "hero" status in your household. Kind of reminds me of my early programming days with IBM PCs. Lots of reboots. Even some of the military aircraft I flew required an airborne reboot of the systems...not the flight control systems...
Old 06-03-2024, 07:09 PM
sdiamond
Advanced

Again great idea to keep the ratchet in the car.
and, thank you for your militaryservice!
Old 06-03-2024, 07:47 PM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 159 Posts

I would go in and check the date on your battery. It's a good to know and like CAVU said, yours could be on the verge of failing due to aging out. Walmart is a great place to get your battery, they are priced well and I run them in all my cars. Never had an issue.
Old 06-03-2024, 10:20 PM
sdiamond
Advanced

hopefully last issue, with the car off and key inside the house the dash stays lit with Porsche Cayenne, 0 mph and key not recognized intermittently binging.
this is what must have lead to the problem initially. hit the lock button so maybe it wont look for the key but have it on the trickle charger and will go to the dealer to have the key reprogrammed! might as well have them check for error codes and fully check the battery. at least thankfully I'm saving the risk and cost of a tow
Old 06-05-2024, 02:29 PM
sdiamond
Advanced

I took battery out of key fob thinking that would stop the 'key not recognized' binding with the car off.
Nope, have car on trickle charger to keep it topped up but even after locking the door and taking key fob battery out it stayed on all night
odometer, 0 MPH, Cayenne Turbo logo, and clock ticking. clearly this continues to drain the battery.
Appointment next week on Tuesday at dealership to diagnose but in meantime any thoughts on how to stop the constant screen displays?
if there a way to 'disconnect' the KEESY sensors by way of fuse since that might be keeping the others display items on?
Old 06-05-2024, 04:42 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

KEESY of KESSY?

Can you reconfirm that you are not aware of any aftermarket additions installed?

Can the car be kept in your garage unlocked?

By the way, want are the specs or model for the charger you are using?

Last edited by CAVU; 06-05-2024 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-05-2024, 06:03 PM
sdiamond
Advanced

Whatever that darn keyless entry system is!
I am not aware of any aftermarket additions other than I changed out the headlights and taillights to ‘newer’ style LED ones.
the charger is Noco genius 10
Old 06-05-2024, 06:04 PM
sdiamond
Advanced

And yes, car is in garage
not sure if better to lock or unlock but either way is safe and sound
Old 06-05-2024, 07:11 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sdiamond
And yes, car is in garage not sure if better to lock or unlock but either way is safe and sound

I am not aware of any aftermarket additions other than I changed out the headlights and taillights to ‘newer’ style LED ones.
IMHO, do not lock until this gets figured out.

any correlation in time from when the newer style lights were installed and the misbehaving? I ask because there are some items that require the PIWIS to tell the system what just got replaced with a different variant and I have no idea if headlights are one of them.

Last edited by CAVU; 06-05-2024 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-05-2024, 08:32 PM
sdiamond
Advanced

Good thought but no, light change was almost a year ago. KNR has been almost as long. Since fob worked and never issue driving just ignored after reading it can be a gremlin. With recent lock out though don’t want that again and time to bite it and go to dealer for diagnostic. Read lots of posts about changing handles sensors keys and still happens so wasn’t going to pursue but now completely annoyed so…

Quick Reply: Dead as a …….