Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Mystery water intrusion 2013 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2024, 06:51 PM
coletrain
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

OP- I can't believe you didn't have any choice, they just said you can't have your car back?

If you can get it back for cheap I was thinking: The rust sucks, but you dont see it so you could hit it with rust preventative & spray paint of some sort (assuming you can access the area) and then look for an airbag module from a donor vehicle (dont know if plug & play). Seal up the leak location of course then put it all back together. Drive it like you stole it. But a lot of assumptions there if it all would work or not and how DIY you are... Here in GA they give you fair market value for a totaled loss vehicle. I lost my old ride back in April. I'm sorry this happened to you and hope it works out.
Old 08-01-2024, 03:20 PM
skidpalace
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by coletrain
OP- I can't believe you didn't have any choice, they just said you can't have your car back?

If you can get it back for cheap I was thinking: The rust sucks, but you dont see it so you could hit it with rust preventative & spray paint of some sort (assuming you can access the area) and then look for an airbag module from a donor vehicle (dont know if plug & play). Seal up the leak location of course then put it all back together. Drive it like you stole it. But a lot of assumptions there if it all would work or not and how DIY you are... Here in GA they give you fair market value for a totaled loss vehicle. I lost my old ride back in April. I'm sorry this happened to you and hope it works out.
Unfortunately my insurance CO told me that I cannot retain the vehicle due to the potential of compromised safety systems. So keeping it is out of the question. On to the search for another GTS.
Old 08-01-2024, 03:28 PM
skidpalace
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CAVU
Very curious as to your thought process. No intent to criticize. Not my place, just wondering.

Just some food for thought from the cheap seats:
- The repair bill of $23k is just the starting figure. IMHO, there is more damage yet to be discovered.
- I enjoy a challenge. I do not like water damage challenges. Been there done that too many times.
- I suspect they will go through the motions to "mark" the title to something not desired no matter the direction it goes.

Hang in there.
The thought process was to buy it back and live with the light surface rust and corroded module case. The body shop said they would put the car back together like it was when I brought it to them. I'd have to pay them maybe 1000 to get it back to that condition. The $23K was to have EVERYTHING replaced back to like new spec. Supposedly I would have had a clear title, but there would be a mark on the carfax that I imagine would not look too good to a buyer.
Back of napkin math would likely net me $15K in my pocket and still get to own the vehicle. Alas, this is all for not as the insurance company just told me that I can't buy it back due to the potential for safety systems failure.
So now it is just wait for the settlement and look for a new Cayenne.

Quick Reply: Mystery water intrusion 2013 GTS