Sponsored By:

Mystery water intrusion 2013 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2024, 05:24 PM
hector024s
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skidpalace
I think I will try this next. I rained pretty heavily earlier today. The well at the bottom of the kick panel was full and dripping from the small push pin hole that holds the felt insulation. That water runs down into the footwell and will eventually flood the footwell as we all know. Oddly, I do not have any wetness above this area. Nothing visible on the upper A-pillar, airbag dry. Nothing in the headliner. I wasn't able to get a good look at the inside of the wire bundle door jamb pass-thru with my endoscope in the few minutes I had to fool with it here at work. I want to try that while it is still wet.
I am still thinking this is coming from the windscreen into the inside of the a-pillar and running down to the floor.
I will tape off the sunroof to isolate that source, then pop off the rain gutters on the windscreen and soak the car for a good long while.
Worst case scenario, I will drill a damn hole in the bottom of the body cavity that is filling with water.
If nothing works I would check the seam seal behind the washer bottle. Not that big of an operation to reach with the endoscope.
this was the status on my CD.

You can clearly see the waterline on the insulation.
Old 05-30-2024, 11:27 PM
skidpalace
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hector024s
If nothing works I would check the seam seal behind the washer bottle. Not that big of an operation to reach with the endoscope.
this was the status on my CD.

You can clearly see the waterline on the insulation.
What are we looking at in your first photo? Is that some kind of body repair with body filler?
Old 05-31-2024, 01:50 AM
hector024s
AutoX

What are we looking at in your first photo? Is that some kind of body repair with body filler?
Sorry for a bad explanation. First picture is from the corner under the windscreen, picture is taken from inside the fender.

It shows the body seam sealant after I scraped a bit with a small flat head. What I'm trying to say is that 50% of the seam sealant in that position was loose and fell of when tempering with it. I had a lot of water intrusion and filled the void fast. After removing as much sealant as possible, cleaning and putting new sealant on, there is no more intrusion.
Old 05-31-2024, 03:03 PM
skidpalace
Instructor

Sorry for a bad explanation. First picture is from the corner under the windscreen, picture is taken from inside the fender.

It shows the body seam sealant after I scraped a bit with a small flat head. What I'm trying to say is that 50% of the seam sealant in that position was loose and fell of when tempering with it. I had a lot of water intrusion and filled the void fast. After removing as much sealant as possible, cleaning and putting new sealant on, there is no more intrusion.
I see. Thanks. What kind of sealant did you use? I plan to get after this tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2024, 05:34 PM
hector024s
AutoX

I see. Thanks. What kind of sealant did you use? I plan to get after this tomorrow.
I used "Teroson MS 9320 SF". I'm based in Sweden, so I can't comment on availability in the US.
Old 07-18-2024, 11:58 AM
skidpalace
Instructor

Update:
So for a variety of reasons, I had not been able to get to the area you described. However, I found out that fresh water intrusion is covered under comprehensive insurance.
The vehicle is now at a Porsche certified collision repair facility. They have put the vehicle through a water test and confirmed the leakage. They are hunting down the source of the intrusion and are targeting the very area you have indicated. Would you be able to indicate on my photo where the area you repaired is?
Thanks.

Old 07-20-2024, 03:51 AM
hector024s
AutoX

Update:
So for a variety of reasons, I had not been able to get to the area you described. However, I found out that fresh water intrusion is covered under comprehensive insurance.
The vehicle is now at a Porsche certified collision repair facility. They have put the vehicle through a water test and confirmed the leakage. They are hunting down the source of the intrusion and are targeting the very area you have indicated. Would you be able to indicate on my photo where the area you repaired is?
Thanks.

Glad to hear that you are progressing and it was covered by insurance.
Marked the seam seal in blue. Dotted red line represent the leaking seam.

BR
Hector

The following 2 users liked this post by hector024s:
coletrain (07-31-2024), skidpalace (07-22-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 04:50 PM
skidpalace
Instructor

Well, if you are reading this looking to DIY a water leak in your Cayenne, DO NOT bring it to a Certified Porsche Collision Repair Center. You will probably not get your car back. I brought mine in to have them look at it and they told me, "Oh no this is minor. It won't be totaled". Fast forward a couple of weeks to where it looks like the above picture and guess what? Extensive rust and corrosion behind the dash and the sum total of visible repairs as well as the liability for missing safety system issues deems this a total loss by the insurance company. WTF. Sure there was a little light surface rust but nothing to worry about.
My car is gone. My Boxster a few weeks ago and now my Cayenne today. Although I was OK with losing the Boxster as it was long in the tooth, This Cayenne was pristine with only 58K on the clock. I am not happy at all.
If you are combing the Copart lots looking for a good Cayenne GTS, keep your eyes peeled for this one at the South Boston Copart in a couple of weeks. All maintenance done by Porsche dealers, new transfer case in January 2024. Other than the leak diagnosed here, the truck is perfect.

Last edited by skidpalace; 07-25-2024 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2024, 03:21 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

That's crazy. Sorry to hear. Did you get a good valuation ?
Old 07-26-2024, 03:22 PM
skidpalace
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brainz
That's crazy. Sorry to hear. Did you get a good valuation ?
I haven't got anything back from the insurance agency yet. Still in limbo.
Old 07-26-2024, 05:58 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 290 Posts

I haven't got anything back from the insurance agency yet. Still in limbo.
I am sure that by now you have a number in mind. If their offer is not enough, they may start the game of " bring a list of cars that meet certain conditions, blah blah blah". Then they look at what you bring back and offer you their original offer, and the do loop continues.

Instead, consider letting them know what your number is, why and ask them for arbitration right up front.

Old 07-26-2024, 06:04 PM
skidpalace
Instructor

Originally Posted by CAVU
I am sure that by now you have a number in mind. If their offer is not enough, they may start the game of " bring a list of cars that meet certain conditions, blah blah blah". Then they look at what you bring back and offer you their original offer, and the do loop continues.

Instead, consider letting them know what your number is, why and ask them for arbitration right up front.
Trust me, I know. I am going through a total loss already. This is now the second total loss I have going on at the same time. My other Porsche was totaled from a collision which was no fault of my own. That one was a battle but we have arrived on an amount. I told them up front I was not playing on this one.
The following 2 users liked this post by skidpalace:
CAVU (07-26-2024), hector024s (07-31-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 02:03 PM
hector024s
AutoX

Well, if you are reading this looking to DIY a water leak in your Cayenne, DO NOT bring it to a Certified Porsche Collision Repair Center. You will probably not get your car back. I brought mine in to have them look at it and they told me, "Oh no this is minor. It won't be totaled". Fast forward a couple of weeks to where it looks like the above picture and guess what? Extensive rust and corrosion behind the dash and the sum total of visible repairs as well as the liability for missing safety system issues deems this a total loss by the insurance company. WTF. Sure there was a little light surface rust but nothing to worry about.
My car is gone. My Boxster a few weeks ago and now my Cayenne today. Although I was OK with losing the Boxster as it was long in the tooth, This Cayenne was pristine with only 58K on the clock. I am not happy at all.
If you are combing the Copart lots looking for a good Cayenne GTS, keep your eyes peeled for this one at the South Boston Copart in a couple of weeks. All maintenance done by Porsche dealers, new transfer case in January 2024. Other than the leak diagnosed here, the truck is perfect.
What?? I'm sorry for your loss.
Did they at least manage to find the source of the leakage?
I hope you find good replacements for both vehicles when the time comes.
Old 07-31-2024, 02:29 PM
skidpalace
Instructor

What?? I'm sorry for your loss.
Did they at least manage to find the source of the leakage?
I hope you find good replacements for both vehicles when the time comes.
Afraid not. They got the info from this thread but hit a full stop when they opened it up to reveal a corroded airbag module and the surface rust. The repair bill to the ins company was over $23K.
I am contemplating buying the Cayenne back from the Ins company. I am waiting on figures.
Old 07-31-2024, 06:01 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 290 Posts

Afraid not. They got the info from this thread but hit a full stop when they opened it up to reveal a corroded airbag module and the surface rust. The repair bill to the ins company was over $23K.
I am contemplating buying the Cayenne back from the Ins company. I am waiting on figures.
Very curious as to your thought process. No intent to criticize. Not my place, just wondering.

Just some food for thought from the cheap seats:
- The repair bill of $23k is just the starting figure. IMHO, there is more damage yet to be discovered.
- I enjoy a challenge. I do not like water damage challenges. Been there done that too many times.
- I suspect they will go through the motions to "mark" the title to something not desired no matter the direction it goes.

Hang in there.

Last edited by CAVU; 07-31-2024 at 07:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Mystery water intrusion 2013 GTS