Sponsored By:

Transfer Case?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 10:18 PM
mstrmoo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case?

I know this topic has been beaten to death, and I have looked at some of the past threads. I want to make sure I'm not imagining things before going to the dealer.

I have 3 symptoms I can identify:

1. When at a stop with the brake pedal depressed, upon letting go of the brake pedal while in drive, I feel a slight thump in the floor 2-3 seconds after letting go of the brake. This usually happens when the car is on flat ground or going down hill, but not up hill.

2. The car vibrates between gear changes.

3. Sometimes there is hesitation from the accelerator. For example, I was going ~50/kmh and there was someone in front of me stopped making a left turn. There was another car in my blind spot on the right. I pressed the accelerator to get ahead of the car in my blind spot and switch into that lane. It took ~2 seconds for the car to respond and the speed to increase. It felt dangerous.

Do these sound like transfer case issues?

I did call the dealer. The set an appointment for end of Feb because that's the only time a loaner is available. They called back 30min later after speaking with the mechanic, stating that based on my symptoms, this is an "emergency" and they'd like to look at it right away, but of course I wouldn't get a loaner. I'm unable to be without this vehicle this week and it drives fine, other than the above described issues. How much of a problem is this?

This is a 2018 Cayenne Base with just under 90000km/55000mi. Canadian vehicle. It's CPO and transfer case is under it's own warranty so I'm not worried. Just wondering how to proceed..

Last edited by mstrmoo; 01-30-2024 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-31-2024, 01:00 PM
Pluto
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, that sounds like a transmission issue. Even a bad transfer case would respond instantly (it won't be pretty- it'll thump like crazy) to acceleration if it was made available.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:30 PM
BrendonSF
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Agreed, definitely does not sounds like a transfer case. Torque converter perhaps?
Old 01-31-2024, 08:06 PM
mstrmoo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm ok thanks guys. Whatever it is, should be covered under CPO..

Is shuddering/vibrating between gear down changes normal?
Old 02-01-2024, 12:36 AM
BrendonSF
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mstrmoo
Hmm ok thanks guys. Whatever it is, should be covered under CPO..

Is shuddering/vibrating between gear down changes normal?
No, definitely not normal.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case?