Sponsored By:

Dead instrument cluster--need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 01:51 PM
jroberts
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead instrument cluster--need ideas

Making this separate from the existing threads. 2011 Cayenne S, 124k miles. Instrument cluster is dead--does not illuminate except for the far right 'information' display. It says things like airbag not functioning, fuel gauge not functioning, etc.
I ran the codes on a Porsche data uploaded reader and got the errors for the functions mentioned AND voltage below threshold. I disconnected the battery (mandatory mini-rant about the inconvenient location--grrr) and nothing on reconnect. I fully charged the battery so it reads 12.4 v, disconnected it again and reconnected. No dice. I did check fuse 52, it was ok, and changed it anyway. Voltage to the location is 10 v.

So I don't think a new battery will help.

What next? Any ideas?

TIA Jeff
Old 12-31-2023, 05:56 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 357 Likes on 215 Posts

If you have a scantool capable of communicating with all modules in the car,do not do a full automatic scan : select " Control units "and look for " Instrument cluster ". If you get a " No communications " message with instrument cluster that means the module is dead. Next is wiring diagram : check all powers and grounds to the IC module. If all good,check communications lines : if comm lines are good to the cluster then your IC module is dead and you're going to need a new one.
Try sending for repair : there are people that fix them...Google the appropriate repair facility that can fix Porsche IC modules. Repair would be your best option to save yourself from having to program/reprogram a new/used IC,writing the old mileage etc. Some IC modules also retain security keys info so the car won't start unless keys reprogrammed into IC...don't know about Porsche...
The following users liked this post:
jroberts (01-01-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 05:14 PM
jroberts
8th Gear

Thanks neanicu. Yes, I do have a scanner that can do individual modules. The result for IC is the same as the automatic scan. For the IC module there are 7 faults. 6 stating that individual gauges or functions aren't working and one that states voltage below threshold. The voltage at fuse 52 is low--10.6 volts. So I am guessing this means I have a short, corroded wire or something. Not sure where to check for this. Since I had the seat out I replaced the battery (was perhaps marginal at 11.9 v and the seat is a pita). Still no joy.

It did rain the night before I discovered the issue and the car was outside. The passenger foot well was not wet but after removing the floor mats it was just a bit damp.
Old 01-04-2024, 05:58 PM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 159 Posts

Just spitballin, but have you restarted the vehicle and tried to clear the codes since the new battery was installed? Did you try and code the new battery to the vehicle? I have read that sometimes you don't have to, but other times you do.
Old 01-04-2024, 06:04 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 357 Likes on 215 Posts

You need a wiring diagram,without one you're walking in the dark.
Old 01-04-2024, 06:51 PM
jroberts
8th Gear

Yes, thanks. Cleared codes but they reappear. Of course they do--the gauges don't light up. The low voltage is the key here, I think.
Old 02-05-2024, 03:15 PM
jroberts
8th Gear

Default Update

After mucking about for weeks, I was giving up. I don't have PIWIS 2 so was going to take it somewhere. Then, on starting the car to go there, everything worked! And has for two weeks since. This thing is possessed. It sat in the garage dry for three weeks. Then back outside where it poured off and on for two weeks. No water in the car that I can see. Next idea when it happens again is to wire that circuit separately. I am assuming the cluster is ok and doesn't have an intermittent issue, rather there is a shorted or partially shorted wire somewhere.

Quick Reply: Dead instrument cluster--need ideas