Sponsored By:

Cayenne diesel rear main seal

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 07:42 PM
phunter
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne diesel rear main seal

Who thinks it is wise to hang on to my 13 cayenne diesel with its rear main seal leak? I have been dealing with drips for 6 months and it seems to not be escalating. Uses a quart every six weeks.
The dealer sealed upper valve covers, oil filter housing and oil pan along with emissions filters water pump catalytic converter and dep heater around one year ago with the end of the extended warranty.
no other issues with the car with regular oil changes being performed. Currently at 115 on the odometer. The independent quote for the rear main seal is around 3800 to 4500 depending on if other seals are needed. The car is cosmetically still attractive with good paint and interior.
is it smart to spend for this repair or is it likely the car has reached good economic sense.
Has anyone paid for this rear main seal and been happy on the other side ? Any words of wisdom from folks with experience ? Thanks in advance
Old 12-30-2023, 11:58 PM
DemonBG
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

'13 CD in good condition with that mileage i would GUESS is about $20k. You are looking at spending almost 25% of the car value on a leaking RMS... Not wort it IMO.

If it was my car - I would try something like Liqui moly motor oil saver to see if it can help soften and restore the RMS. It is not a fix in a bottle and i don't want to come across suggesting that it is - But this feels like a reasonable application for it.
Old 12-31-2023, 10:28 AM
jaustin
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

^ I would give that a shot also and see if it gives you more time.
Old 12-31-2023, 11:54 AM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

I'd return to dealer. I think they should have replaced that seal when they re sealed the engine. My 13 was leaking for a long time although there were no puddles because it leaked on to the under cover and just evaporated from the heat. When mine was resealed they replaced that seal as well after I let them know it was leaking. As you said it has been leaking for at least 6 months which wold be something they should address.
Old 12-31-2023, 03:23 PM
phunter
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne diesel rear main seal

Originally Posted by phunter
Who thinks it is wise to hang on to my 13 cayenne diesel with its rear main seal leak? I have been dealing with drips for 6 months and it seems to not be escalating. Uses a quart every six weeks.
The dealer sealed upper valve covers, oil filter housing and oil pan along with emissions filters water pump catalytic converter and dep heater around one year ago with the end of the extended warranty.
no other issues with the car with regular oil changes being performed. Currently at 115 on the odometer. The independent quote for the rear main seal is around 3800 to 4500 depending on if other seals are needed. The car is cosmetically still attractive with good paint and interior.
is it smart to spend for this repair or is it likely the car has reached good economic sense.
Has anyone paid for this rear main seal and been happy on the other side ? Any words of wisdom from folks with experience ? Thanks in advance
thanks for the replies. The dealer said since it was leaking in a different area they would not be able to get Porsche to cover it. They report that it is common for leaks to occur in other areas once some leaks are fixed. Very frustrating.

I could pay rhe independent shop price if I knew that other expensive repairs were not on the horizon. The trade in value is around 9 to 10 with it in good condition. I really like this car and can do simple maintenance things myself.. 4 grand to keep a 9 grand car on the road with no warranty after paying such four grand? What to do?
Old 12-31-2023, 05:53 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Talk to Porsche directly, bypass the dealer and see what they have to say.

Quick Reply: Cayenne diesel rear main seal