Transmission Removal and Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 04:25 PM
enesf
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission Removal and Installation

Hi,
Happy holidays folks! My transmission gave up (2011 Cayenne S 155k miles) and I am replacing it with a used one at home. I have all the factory manuals for dropping driveshafts, exhaust and transmission. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me. Also, what else should I replace while I am down there? Is the rear main seal something I should proactively replace? Also, I don't have any of special tools Porsche mentions you need and I think I really don't need most of them, except the toque converter centering pin 9689. I could not find this online, anyone know if it's a must have?

According to manual, here is a list of parts that needs replacement
  • The exhaust clamps must not be re-used PAB-111-220
  • Screw in new torque converter screws
  • Catalytic Converter seal 958-111-113-00
  • Catalytic Converter nuts N-908-946-02
Old 12-28-2023, 05:48 PM
HETPE3B
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I just removed the secondary converters - ALL of the studs broke. So you probably will need a new studs too.
How are you planning to remove the screws for the torque converter? After removal of the transmission or before? If before - how?
I'm dropping the whole thing now - engine/transmission/transfer case and will disconnect them once it on the ground.
The following users liked this post:
enesf (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 06:34 PM
enesf
Track Day

Originally Posted by HETPE3B
I just removed the secondary converters - ALL of the studs broke. So you probably will need a new studs too.
How are you planning to remove the screws for the torque converter? After removal of the transmission or before? If before - how?
I'm dropping the whole thing now - engine/transmission/transfer case and will disconnect them once it on the ground.
Thanks for the reply! Yikes on the studs, I will start soon and will let you know.

Since I don't have a car lift, my plan is to put the car on really high jack stands (3 feet tall) and drop the transmission and TC together. I will need a special tool bit (this) , but at least based on the manual it should be doable without an engine drop. What do you think?
Old 12-28-2023, 06:36 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by enesf
Thanks for the reply! Yikes on the studs, I will start soon and will let you know.

Since I don't have a car lift, my plan is to put the car on really high jack stands (3 feet tall) and drop the transmission and TC together. I will need a special tool bit (this) , but at least based on the manual it should be doable without an engine drop. What do you think?
take a photo, I’d like to see 3’ stands under a pepper. GL!
enesf (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 06:50 PM
enesf
Track Day

Anyone has any experience with swapping transmission's conductor plate? I did some quick research, and people recommending using the old conductor plate (or/and valve body). There was a mention of the fact that the conductor plate is coded for the car vin and a new one won't work.
Old 12-28-2023, 07:29 PM
HETPE3B
Racer

I'm just curious how you are planning to separate the engine from the torque converter? Are you planning to leave the torque converter attached to the engine and drop the transmission without the torque converter?
Old 12-28-2023, 10:16 PM
AdEnough1549
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question

Just out of curiosity, because I’m looking into buying a 2017 Cayenne GTS with 78k miles, how much does something like this cost? Transmission itself, and what it may cost a mechanic to replace old one. Trying to get an idea of how much some of the “worst case scenarios” may be. Lol
Old 12-28-2023, 10:25 PM
HETPE3B
Racer

If ‘17 is using the same transmission as ‘11 - transmissions are fairly cheap. And they are cheap because they are very reliable if they are maintained properly. But a replacement labor could be a bear.
AdEnough1549 (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 10:31 PM
AdEnough1549
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If ‘17 is using the same transmission as ‘11 - transmissions are fairly cheap. And they are cheap because they are very reliable if they are maintained properly. But a replacement labor could be a bear.
Ballpark number? $4k-6k be a safe estimate?
Old 12-28-2023, 10:38 PM
HETPE3B
Racer

Originally Posted by AdEnough1549
Ballpark number? $4k-6k be a safe estimate?
I would think $4-5k should be a pretty accurate number. Like $500-700 for the transmission and the rest for the swapping labor.
enesf (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 10:58 PM
enesf
Track Day

I'm just curious how you are planning to separate the engine from the torque converter? Are you planning to leave the torque converter attached to the engine and drop the transmission without the torque converter?
I am planning on dropping the converter with the transmission. At least this is what the manual says you can do (attached). Do you think it's not practical?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
example.pdf (14.64 MB, 66 views)
Old 12-28-2023, 10:59 PM
enesf
Track Day

Like others mentioned, if well maintained the transmission should not have any issues. I purchased mine from these folks for a good price. https://garagemanstore.com/ but the installation and labor is the major part.
Old 12-28-2023, 11:07 PM
enesf
Track Day

I would think $4-5k should be a pretty accurate number. Like $500-700 for the transmission and the rest for the swapping labor.
Exactly, I bought my transmission for $700 and planning on installing myself.
Old 12-28-2023, 11:19 PM
HETPE3B
Racer

I am planning on dropping the converter with the transmission. At least this is what the manual says you can do (attached). Do you think it's not practical?
Usually it’s practical. But in this particular model it took me a while to find the inspection hole that gives the access to the TC bolts. So far I have no clue how to get to this hole with any kind of tools. It’s kinda covered with the header (I think). So I’m dropping the engine with a transmission together now and then will be looking for the ways to get to the bolts through the access hole. Possibly will be removing the header.
enesf (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 12:46 AM
enesf
Track Day

Usually it’s practical. But in this particular model it took me a while to find the inspection hole that gives the access to the TC bolts. So far I have no clue how to get to this hole with any kind of tools. It’s kinda covered with the header (I think). So I’m dropping the engine with a transmission together now and then will be looking for the ways to get to the bolts through the access hole. Possibly will be removing the header.
perfect. Send us pictures please

Quick Reply: Transmission Removal and Installation