Dealer transmission service cost

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 10:21 PM
Topfin
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KBell
Topfin.

I collected ALL of the fluid that drained out. Measured it exactly.
Removed pan. Clean everything. Replace filter and rubber pan gasket.
The pan gasket has "spacers" or "washer" built in; so; you won't crush the gasket with over tightening the bolts.
Then replace the EXACT amount of fluid that came out.
Getting the fluid back up in the drain hole was a pain.
Do you recall what the state of everything was? Was there gunk in the bottom of the pan? Are you glad you dropped the pan and cleaned it out rather than just replacing the fluid? What mileage was your Cayenne at?
Old 12-03-2023, 10:25 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 241 Posts

I've used this on my other cars to pump fluid back in.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:26 PM
Topfin
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mdistel
Filling is easy with a transmission fluid pump and a fill tool like kweiny Transmission Fluid ATF Fill Adapter for VW AISIN 09G https://a.co/d/585S4Zg. I built my pump for under 30 using a Home Depot garden sprayer, 1/4 ball valve with barb fittings and clear tubing. I flushed out the fluid in 4 hours or so but did not drop the pan. I pumped the fluid out through the oil cooler up front after drawing 4 qts from the pan. There are several threads on this method, search two bucket method. Liqui Moly Top Tec 1800 is reasonably priced, total for 12 qts, tools and o-rings and seals under 200.

Mark

Sounds like a great fill method. I am surprised folks change the fluid without changing the filter and gasket along with not cleaning out the pan. I am
sure it is very helpful for the transmission, but I would worry it wasn’t a complete service not doing the filter, clean and gasket. In a pinch though still way better than not doing it and much simpler. Thank you for letting me know about the alternative!
Old 12-03-2023, 10:44 PM
mdistel
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I've done it both ways, on my 957 I dropped the pan but didn't pump out the fluid. There is more risk and mess when you drop the pan, I had one or two bolts break off for example and on my e39 5 series BMW it leaked from the pan bolts afterwards. I changed at 68k mi on the 958, far below the 160k factory amount so I'm not too concerned about filter issues but would have liked to inspect the magnets. In the end I think the most critical thing is fresh fluid. I also changed diff and transfer case. Recently my 957 diff was cooking the redline fluid I put in several years and 50k mi ago so I think it's important to keep up on those fluids as well.

Mark
Old 12-04-2023, 08:45 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 307 Posts

Topfin

At 100,000 miles, shifting was a little harder.
Very, very small amount of fine "liquid metal" on transmission magnets.
Otherwise, everything else really looked good.

Shift was smooth again after the flush.
I'll do it again at 200,000 miles.
Old 12-04-2023, 11:39 PM
CDMC
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A fluid change should always be done with a filter change. Changing without doing the filter can cause the filter to get plugged from contaminants over time leading to early failure. As others have said, the total parts cost is under $200. Labor is under 2 hours. Any independent shop can do it. No independent in your area, ask your VW dealer to do it. It is the same transmission as a Tourareg. The proper fluid is Toyota WS, the full synthetic Idemitsu fluid that meets the requirments is about $85 for two 5 quart jugs from Amazon.

https://www.idemitsulubricants.com/p...tf-type-tls-lv

Quick Reply: Dealer transmission service cost