Sponsored By:

2018 Carplay install

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 01:47 PM
Last mango
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2018 Carplay install

Since there are so many threads on the Carplay topic I thought that I would share my experience. Apparently most of the available units are for the 2017 and older models, or for a 3.1 PCM, as mine has the 4.0 I believe. I purchased the unit which was a little more than other comparable units but as I said it was the only one I could find that would work. I also confirmed with the dealer that, while 2018's are "supposed" to have Carplay, it was actually part of an option package that I didn't have, and they are unable to upgrade it for me.

After reading the install instructions, which were a bit weak, I decided to install the unit myself as it seemed very straightforward. I found it to be true, and after contacting support a couple of times on some questions, the unit was truly plug and play. It's an external unit so no need to open up the stereo to add a board as I've seen in other products. The only issue I had with the install was trying to stuff the stereo and new external Unavi Carplay device back into the dash. That alone took more time that anything else. I would say that almost anyone with very basic skills and common sense could install it as a DIY.

The functionality of the unit is great, it's in my wife's car and is mostly seamless and very close to a factory interface, and most importantly she's happy and not being very techy she likes it. The only user issue it has is that to accept or place a phone call, you must be connected to the factory BT (not a big deal as it still connects automatically) and pop out of the Carplay interface and back into the factory interface to accept or place the call, once on the call you can go back into Carplay as normal. All steering wheel controls work, and everything including camera's, etc. function as they should. Feel free to reach out with any questions!
The following 2 users liked this post by Last mango:
bmw_e30 (12-02-2023), Chaos (12-03-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 03:59 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Possible link to exactly what you purchased? Thank you.

Quick Reply: 2018 Carplay install