Sponsored By:

Do I need to get 4 new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 08:07 PM
WinstonL
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do I need to get 4 new tires?

Hey y’all! Parents bought a 2018 Cayenne Base and we are in need of some tire advice.

Just got a screw in one of the front tires and it’s close enough to the sidewall that it’s unrepairable. The other front tire is at 6/32 and the rear tires are at 5/32. Will it be bad if we get one new tire to replace the front one and run it for 5,000-10,000 miles until we replace with a new set of four? We have a damage waiver so the new tire would be free which is why it’s an appealing option.

I appreciate the input!
Old 09-05-2023, 08:39 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 537 Posts

@WinstonL You can buy a single tire from TireRack and have them shave it down to match the tire on the other side of the car.

Howeer, at 5-6/32 I might just consider replacing all four. And if they are original 7-8 year old tires, I would absolutely replace all four.
The following 2 users liked this post by lml999:
figure1a (09-11-2023), KBell (09-13-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 08:43 PM
WinstonL
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lml999
@WinstonL You can buy a single tire from TireRack and have them shave it down to match the tire on the other side of the car.

Howeer, at 5-6/32 I might just consider replacing all four. And if they are original 7-8 year old tires, I would absolutely replace all four.
Thanks for the quick reply. I’m going to see if I can get any shops around here shave tires, since it would be a free tire from DT because of the coverage. Tires are from 2020, definitely wouldn’t be running old tires. Dry rot scares me. Part of the reason I don’t want to buy all four yet is I’m waiting on the Bridgestone Alenza with the 80k mile warranty to be back in stock at Costco.
Old 09-05-2023, 09:06 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 537 Posts

@WinstonL Local race shop is your best bet, if any are around. Most tire places don't have the machine to shave tires...
Old 09-11-2023, 11:25 AM
TargaGrandpa
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tire shaving

If anyone knows shops that can provide this service, perhaps listing some may help. I used Vilven Tire in Royal, IL back in the day.
Old 09-11-2023, 12:34 PM
figure1a
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by WinstonL
Hey y’all! Parents bought a 2018 Cayenne Base and we are in need of some tire advice.

Just got a screw in one of the front tires and it’s close enough to the sidewall that it’s unrepairable. The other front tire is at 6/32 and the rear tires are at 5/32. Will it be bad if we get one new tire to replace the front one and run it for 5,000-10,000 miles until we replace with a new set of four? We have a damage waiver so the new tire would be free which is why it’s an appealing option.

I appreciate the input!
I would actually take it to the dealer for service. At least in San Diego, tire service at the dealer is the same price or lower than going to a "tire shop". The dealer will replace what they feel is correct for your situation. I've had them replace a single tire for the same situation as yours with road hazard warranty (San Diego Porsche includes road hazard warranty for free with new tires). Sometimes they will just do front or rears when I need service.
Old 09-12-2023, 10:45 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

I was traveling on business several years ago. Better than 300 miles from home and out in the middle of BFE. I got a nail/screw close to the sidewall. A small'ish Walmart was as close to a tire shop as there was. They too would not patch the tire, but pointed to a tire plug kit and told me to do it myself. So, I plugged the tire.

3000 miles later, both tires on the axle needed replacing and that was an easy decision.

So if you just want to buy some time, and drive sensibly, consider a plug.

Here is a YouTube video on how to do it.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:28 PM
NYCayenne
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Each time this has happened on my Audi and Subaru in the past few years I've found a good condition identical brand/model used tire with similar or slightly higher tread depth on ebay, seller united tire has almost everything

Quick Reply: Do I need to get 4 new tires?