958.2 Bose Audio Upgrade - mObridge, Morel, Audiofrog

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 07:21 PM
deebs
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Base radio PCM 3.1

Originally Posted by RhinoComp
I wouldn’t make it the top priority. It can certainly add to the system in the ideal scenario and it’s certainly an upgrade over stock components if you weren’t replacing the amp. But with Base radio you’ve got a bit more freedom to go crazy on DSP and amp since you don’t have to deal with the fiber optics. If it came down to prioritizing the center channel or subwoofer, I would definitely prioritize the subwoofer if that helps!
I've just picked up a 958.2 diesel with the base audio package and am starting to plan an audio build with sound quality as the top priority. I was considering the mr12volt solution, although I realize that may require reprogramming the base PCM3.1 to use the MOST output, but I like the idea of retaining the digital signal all the way to the Mobridge amp you selected.

In your opinion, if you also had the base audio, what would have been your top choice for getting audio from the head unit? Line output converter, or an amp with speaker-level inputs? Or do you think using the fiber optics will retain the best sound quality and warrant the potential hassles involved? Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Daniel
Old 05-07-2024, 08:31 PM
RhinoComp
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by deebs
I've just picked up a 958.2 diesel with the base audio package and am starting to plan an audio build with sound quality as the top priority. I was considering the mr12volt solution, although I realize that may require reprogramming the base PCM3.1 to use the MOST output, but I like the idea of retaining the digital signal all the way to the Mobridge amp you selected.

In your opinion, if you also had the base audio, what would have been your top choice for getting audio from the head unit? Line output converter, or an amp with speaker-level inputs? Or do you think using the fiber optics will retain the best sound quality and warrant the potential hassles involved? Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Daniel
I could be wrong, but I believe base audio does not use fiber optics in the 958. If it were me, I wouldn't even bother Mr12Volt and I would just outright upgrade the radio to a nice aftermarket unit like something from the Sony Mobile ES line and just use a traditional 8 channel amp for the speakers. Fiber optics will really only make your life harder and wallet lighter! If you're set on retaining the PCM, a good line out converter is probably your best bet but I wouldn't even know where to begin on this platform for that stuff having personally never used a LOC before.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:39 PM
Surf SD
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Malmenator
Thanks so much for this input. Looks like I'll be going with the biggest sub (plus amp) I can fit in the driver-side trunk area.
I would love to hear what you went with and how happy you are with it. My CS has a Bose satellite system and the bass is horrible. I listen to lots of old school rock and symphonic metal and I'm appalled at how crap the bass response is. I was thinking of buying a Rockford Fosgate P500-12P to give the system more punch.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:21 PM
Malmenator
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Surf SD
I would love to hear what you went with and how happy you are with it. My CS has a Bose satellite system and the bass is horrible. I listen to lots of old school rock and symphonic metal and I'm appalled at how crap the bass response is. I was thinking of buying a Rockford Fosgate P500-12P to give the system more punch.
I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a subwoofer set up yet. I noticed there was a JL Audio Stealthbox that makes it very plug-n-play friendly, but it only exists for the first gen Cayennes unfortunately. I may need to just have a place custom-make a box enclosure for me to have neatly placed within the drive-side cargo panel. (I have an E-Hybrid, so spare tire compartment is not an option due to hybrid battery sitting there).

As soon as I find a good solution, I will definitely update though.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:40 PM
cheembucket
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audio shop nearby also recommended the JL stealthbox, following this thread!
Old 05-14-2024, 09:18 PM
Flygts
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

JL doesn’t make a stealth box for the 958. I might be selling my old one that is built for a 10tw3 though

Quick Reply: 958.2 Bose Audio Upgrade - mObridge, Morel, Audiofrog