Sponsored By:

DIY Retro fit interior auto dimming mirror 958

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 11:40 PM
porsches4ed
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts
Default DIY Retro fit interior auto dimming mirror 958

This is the second time I’m posting this I don’t know what happened to the other one.

buy an auto dimming mirror and make sure it has the male and female clip to make it easier to remove if you ever need a new windshield

This is the part number you are looking for 7PP.857.511.F

Don’t forget to try and find one with the male and female clips

The removal is easy it just turns once you have the cover off. Everything on the overhead pops off they are all clips. There are videos on YouTube on how to do this.

There’s a thin trim around the U shaped light pop that off carefully it is thin

Now pop off the entire overhead controls. Same thing use a panel tool to remove it.

There are metal clips that may bend out making it feel like you are going to break something so be careful. If they bend out you need to bend them back before putting it back in otherwise, the overhead is going to wobble and hang down about a quarter of an inch

So you have three wires we’re gonna start with the power wire first you can start with ground, but the power wire requires a five amp fuse, on the driver side fuse panel. You’re gonna look for fuse 42 there will only be one metal tab. What you need to do is run the wire on the opposite side of the metal tab. Just imagine that that wire represents a tab that’s there. If it was factory installed, obviously that wire would be going to its own tab there.

You can see 42 in this photo and you can see how one side has the middle tab. This requires a 5 amp fuse.

Go ahead and either solder or wire wrap your fuse on the side that does not have the tab and push it into place so that the wire is running to the side without the tab and the other contacts on the fuse is touching the middle tab on 42

Now let’s do the ground. I found that the easiest clip is this one here that has a red safety clip that you need to slide out use a pic or something small to slide it out and then push on it and the clip should completely disconnect

Once disconnected I spliced into the thick brown wire with the brown wire coming from the rearview mirror.

Go ahead and put it back in and you’re done with the two easiest parts of the wiring. Go ahead and tuck your 12 gauge wire into the panels. It should be pretty simple to hide and push in there. You can use the panel tools to push it up in deeper.

Now we’re going to go to the rear and you’re going to use the biggest panel removal tool that you have and pull open the top part of the pillar where the speaker is. There are two hidden 3 mm Allen key plastic screws that you need to remove

For some reason, the one closest to the rear on mine was glued in place so I had to break it off. It is just a push type of screw but instead of just pushing it, you screw in and out and the pressure widens the base to hold it in place.

Now on the rear passenger side, once you pop that side out, there’s a screw there as well. This one came out easily using the 3 mm Allen key.

Once you pop that one out you’re going to expose the BCM you need to tap into the blue clip. This control module just slides up. It’s not tied down by anything or at least mine wasn’t.

Once you slide it up, you should be able to pop out the rest of the panel, but be careful because you need to disconnect your speaker

Move the entire panel out of your way

And now pull out the BCM module

There is a slide clip so you need to pull up and then there’s a tab that you push down the entire clip will pop up

What you’re looking for is 33 (not numbered but next to 34) which is a black wire with yellow just like the black wire with yellow that’s coming off of the mirror

There are two separate pieces where the wires are in the cartridge side of the clip so you need to use something to slide it out. It’s pretty easy use a pic or a very thin, flat, head screwdriver, and the entire side where you see the number 33 will come out.

Once this is out, you need to tap into the black wire with the yellow stripe which is 33 you consider it or you can just wrap it and use electrical tape

Here you can see the 12 gauge black copper stranded wire that I used it’s gonna be coming out and then what I did is I just use electrical tape to wrap it up with the other ones

That is basically it you’re all done. Don’t put the rear back together until after it’s programmed. Put everything else back together and once you turn on your car, you’ll see the light come on if you press the button, now the wire that you just tapped into actually has several modules running off of that wire and from my understanding, it sends a different signal to control each module, so there is a different voltage that will affect different electronics in the car. Now, for this part, the Dealer does have to program the auto dimming mirror

The BCM does not recognize the mirror so it will need to be programmed depending on how your relationship is with your dealer or if you’re cool with the tech you could probably give them like 50 bucks or something I’m sure a Dealer is going to charge at least one hour they shouldn’t charge more because there’s no installations they have to do. It’s all just programming. I’m taking the car tomorrow to get programmed.

Last edited by porsches4ed; 08-30-2023 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-30-2023, 04:45 AM
Gk101
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice write up!
The following users liked this post:
porsches4ed (08-30-2023)
Old 09-02-2023, 05:29 PM
porsches4ed
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by porsches4ed
This is the second time I’m posting this I don’t know what happened to the other one.

buy an auto dimming mirror and make sure it has the male and female clip to make it easier to remove if you ever need a new windshield

This is the part number you are looking for 7PP.857.511.F

Don’t forget to try and find one with the male and female clips

The removal is easy it just turns once you have the cover off. Everything on the overhead pops off they are all clips. There are videos on YouTube on how to do this.

There’s a thin trim around the U shaped light pop that off carefully it is thin

Now pop off the entire overhead controls. Same thing use a panel tool to remove it.

There are metal clips that may bend out making it feel like you are going to break something so be careful. If they bend out you need to bend them back before putting it back in otherwise, the overhead is going to wobble and hang down about a quarter of an inch

So you have three wires we’re gonna start with the power wire first you can start with ground, but the power wire requires a five amp fuse, on the driver side fuse panel. You’re gonna look for fuse 42 there will only be one metal tab. What you need to do is run the wire on the opposite side of the metal tab. Just imagine that that wire represents a tab that’s there. If it was factory installed, obviously that wire would be going to its own tab there.

You can see 42 in this photo and you can see how one side has the middle tab. This requires a 5 amp fuse.

Go ahead and either solder or wire wrap your fuse on the side that does not have the tab and push it into place so that the wire is running to the side without the tab and the other contacts on the fuse is touching the middle tab on 42

Now let’s do the ground. I found that the easiest clip is this one here that has a red safety clip that you need to slide out use a pic or something small to slide it out and then push on it and the clip should completely disconnect

Once disconnected I spliced into the thick brown wire with the brown wire coming from the rearview mirror.

Go ahead and put it back in and you’re done with the two easiest parts of the wiring. Go ahead and tuck your 12 gauge wire into the panels. It should be pretty simple to hide and push in there. You can use the panel tools to push it up in deeper.

Now we’re going to go to the rear and you’re going to use the biggest panel removal tool that you have and pull open the top part of the pillar where the speaker is. There are two hidden 3 mm Allen key plastic screws that you need to remove

For some reason, the one closest to the rear on mine was glued in place so I had to break it off. It is just a push type of screw but instead of just pushing it, you screw in and out and the pressure widens the base to hold it in place.

Now on the rear passenger side, once you pop that side out, there’s a screw there as well. This one came out easily using the 3 mm Allen key.

Once you pop that one out you’re going to expose the BCM you need to tap into the blue clip. This control module just slides up. It’s not tied down by anything or at least mine wasn’t.

Once you slide it up, you should be able to pop out the rest of the panel, but be careful because you need to disconnect your speaker

Move the entire panel out of your way

And now pull out the BCM module

There is a slide clip so you need to pull up and then there’s a tab that you push down the entire clip will pop up

What you’re looking for is 33 (not numbered but next to 34) which is a black wire with yellow just like the black wire with yellow that’s coming off of the mirror

There are two separate pieces where the wires are in the cartridge side of the clip so you need to use something to slide it out. It’s pretty easy use a pic or a very thin, flat, head screwdriver, and the entire side where you see the number 33 will come out.

Once this is out, you need to tap into the black wire with the yellow stripe which is 33 you consider it or you can just wrap it and use electrical tape

Here you can see the 12 gauge black copper stranded wire that I used it’s gonna be coming out and then what I did is I just use electrical tape to wrap it up with the other ones

That is basically it you’re all done. Don’t put the rear back together until after it’s programmed. Put everything else back together and once you turn on your car, you’ll see the light come on if you press the button, now the wire that you just tapped into actually has several modules running off of that wire and from my understanding, it sends a different signal to control each module, so there is a different voltage that will affect different electronics in the car. Now, for this part, the Dealer does have to program the auto dimming mirror

The BCM does not recognize the mirror so it will need to be programmed depending on how your relationship is with your dealer or if you’re cool with the tech you could probably give them like 50 bucks or something I’m sure a Dealer is going to charge at least one hour they shouldn’t charge more because there’s no installations they have to do. It’s all just programming. I’m taking the car tomorrow to get programmed.

I could not edit the post so here is the programming screen

You have to select automatic not manual

When you press the button on the mirror it will recognize it so press save. Once it resets the system it will now appear as an oem option

You have to turn on the car and it needs to be dark enough so the lights turn on automatically.

Then put a light up to the sensor and watch it get dark. It will not get completely dark if it’s not that dark outside.

I closed my garage and it got completely dark with the light on the Sensor

Then as soon as I remove it the mirror gets clearer

BIG THANKS to Porsche Silver Spring for helping with the information, wiring schematics and programming. Email Jonny at jventura1213@gmail.com

Last edited by porsches4ed; 09-02-2023 at 09:10 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY Retro fit interior auto dimming mirror 958