Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Transmission noise during acceleration and deceleration Goes away when in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2023, 06:01 PM
buster1
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission noise during acceleration and deceleration Goes away when in neutral

As above 2011, Cayenne S4.8 L , I bought it pretty cheap off a friend ( Who was fired from work, and had to leave the country ) knowing it had some issues but in general it’s been very well-maintained ( mostly at the Porsche dealer) and has 345,000 km . It has a transmission Hum similar to a power steering pump noise when getting up to speed or decelerating, probably most noticeable between 2500-4000 RPM, goes away when driving steady on the highway about 2000 rpm and when put in neutral .Transmission seems to be working fine otherwise but I don’t wanna hurt the vehicle , it was just at the porsche dealer getting the front air springs replaced, and they test drove it before giving it back and said nothing about this noise but I also never mentioned it . In general it’s a very nice vehicle and drives very well. I have pretty much the full maintenance history but I also don’t wanna hurt it any help and input would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

Last edited by buster1; 08-13-2023 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2023, 10:19 AM
Kenrevo
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a similar issue (but not exactly) and it was the front differential. I would suggest changing the fluid in the front and seeing how it looks; would probably be good to do the same for the transmission.
Old 08-14-2023, 04:06 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,975 Likes on 1,763 Posts

Font diff here also. Changed out under warranty back in the day.
Old 09-17-2023, 01:28 PM
orangedawg
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar noise: sounded fine when accelerating, but when let off the gas it would hum or a similar sound. I just took into the dealer this past week, they replaced transfer case under extended warranty. Sound went away, so maybe that is the issue as others have noted.

Quick Reply: Transmission noise during acceleration and deceleration Goes away when in neutral