Sponsored By:

2014 CD - First Tow - 12 VDC Aux Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 02:07 PM
wake74
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2014 CD - First Tow - 12 VDC Aux Question

Recent purchase of high mileage ‘14 CD with factory tow package. One owner, and it doesn’t appear that the receiver has ever had a hitch in it. Installed the correct 7 PIN adapter from dealership, installed my old Prodigy P2 with Tekonsha harness (no splicing) etc. Drove out to the trailer storage place today, as I want to make sure everything works before the first real tow in September. I’ll be towing my 20x8.5 enclosed, total weight with race car will be in the 5000 lbs range. The Cayenne identified the trailer correctly, lights work, brake controller worked (didn’t need the relay). No apparent issue with the LED trailer lights.

Here is where the test tow went sideways. My trailer has an Ultra-tow 3500 lb jack (from Northern Tool). It has a 7 pin connector just like hte trailer to pull power off the tow vehicle via the 12 VDC Aux power pin. However, I could not get it to work. I’ll be headed back out to the car with a multi-meter when it cools off a bit. But I’m guessing that the car is smart enough to know when a trailer is connected and it powers the Aux 12 VDC pin. No trailer, no power. I may have to cut the jack power cable, and hard wire it back to the winch battery in the trailer.

Can anyone verify whether they get power at their 12 VDC Aux Pin when trailer isn’t connected?

After I cobbled some tools together out of the trailer tool box (couldn’t find the emergency jack handle) and got the trailer connected, I took it for about a 20 mile drive. Just used a straight hitch with a 2-5/16 ball. I didn’t use the WDH. Trailer doesn’t have the race car in it currently, so figure 4,000 lbs. Seemed to tow fine, good torque down low. Stability seemed about like my former Tundra when I wasn’t using the WDH / sway hitch. Need to buy/borrow a tongue scale to see where I am at. Receiver has a fair amount of slop in it, so will be looking to fix that as well before first tow. Visibility wasn’t great, so will be looking at clip on mirrors.

Last edited by wake74; 08-06-2023 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-06-2023, 02:36 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by wake74
Visibility wasn’t great, so will be looking at clip on mirrors.
Sounds like you're doing all the right things.

I rented a 31' travel trailer last summer and felt totally blind to the rear. Extended mirrors should make a big difference!
The following users liked this post:
wake74 (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 06:46 PM
Kenrevo
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I checked and I don't have 12v on the auxiliary with no trailer connected. I didn't measure it with the trailer connected but all my auxiliaries work when the trailer is connected.
The following users liked this post:
wake74 (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 06:48 PM
wake74
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenrevo
I checked and I don't have 12v on the auxiliary with no trailer connected. I didn't measure it with the trailer connected but all my auxiliaries work when the trailer is connected.
Thanks for taking the time to double check for me. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply: 2014 CD - First Tow - 12 VDC Aux Question