Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Adding Tow Capabilities - Parts needed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 06:47 PM
will_atl
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Adding Tow Capabilities - Parts needed?

Hi all,

I recently picked up a new (to me) 2012 Cayenne, it has almost everything that I want, with the exception of towing.

Having read through the various threads on towing, thanks to those who have contributed, I believe that I need the following (but couldn't find confirmation):
  • Cayenne Trailer/Towing Control Module 7P0907383
    • If I buy used, it should be preprogrammed, and if working, no coding required
  • ​​​​​Porsche Trailer Tow Harness, Part Number: 95861250600 (this adds 7 Pin)
  • A 2" hitch, I was thinking of going Curt, or something from eTrailer (I installed one on my old Cayenne, and it was simple, but I never did wiring)
Is there anything else that I need, or should the module and harness be plug and play?

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2023, 09:27 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts

Look for a similar year Q7 tow hitch. You should be able to pick one up for not much more than an aftermarket hitch. I think I paid $300 for mine.

You'll need new (longer) mounting bolts.

Otherwise, I think you're good. Make sure the harness has the seven pin connector.
Old 07-24-2023, 10:51 PM
will_atl
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks, I'll take a look for a Q7 hitch and see what I can find. Then it's all OEM

@lml999 It's good to see that you are still here, the forum seems a little quieter than when I was last here, which was during Covid, and we are all locked down and WFH!
Old 07-25-2023, 08:34 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by will_atl
Thanks, I'll take a look for a Q7 hitch and see what I can find. Then it's all OEM

@lml999 It's good to see that you are still here, the forum seems a little quieter than when I was last here, which was during Covid, and we are all locked down and WFH!
@will_atl Thanks...yes, it's a bit quieter....I think people are out and doing things rather than (literally) pounding their keyboards. Th good news is that we're more focused on helping one another with our Cayenne issues.

The Q7 hitch is exactly the same as that coming in a Porsche box. I found mine on ebay. Just make sure that you confirm that it's OEM versus aftermarket before they ship...and confirm that it's from a 2011-2015 Q7. They should *look* absolutely identical (because they are!)

I asked one seller to confirm that what they were selling was OEM, and I guess they decided it wasn't worth the effort to actually remove the hitch from the parts car...and ended the auction. Hmmm.

Quick Reply: Adding Tow Capabilities - Parts needed?