Sponsored By:

2016 Cayenne Diesel - Possible Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 01:37 PM
Super Stroby
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 100 Posts
Default 2016 Cayenne Diesel - Possible Leak

Just bought a CD last month from a PCA member and up until Sunday everything was going swimmingly.

I saw a few spots of oil on a my paver driveway so I parked the CD in the garage with paper underneath to locate the leak. Come to find out it's the passenger rear shock. I'm not too upset about this. I was planning on doing some sort of lift suspension on the CD in the future. Now that time line will need to be moved up a little.

However.... The worrying part.

While underneath the car I noticed that the ends of the transfer case mounts were wet. While not enough to have a dip from the leak it seems on both sides there is/was something leaking around the top of the frame rails and down inside in rails, out two bolt holes in front of the transfer case mounts.

While looking at the transfer case, transmission, under the engine, and back side of the engine, it's all bone dry. This could have been a previous leak repaired however I'm asking for help to see if someone here has had a similar issue.

Are there diesel fuel filters connected further up to the frame rails that might be leaking? One for each bank? Any help is appreciated.

Short term I plan on using brake clean to clean the areas and confirm its an active leak.

Last edited by Super Stroby; 05-30-2023 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:31 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 311 Posts

Love the Diesel.

1. Awesome that it is a shock leak and not something major. With age and mileage, the Cayenne diesel will need shock replacement. Easy fix.
Personally, the diesels are such great highway cruisers, I'd avoid doing a suspension lift.

2. Concerning the drips or leak. That is a strange area. Very atypical. You mentioned fuel filter. There is only one. It's on the passenger side near the firewall. Very easy to change.
It is very possible that a recent fuel filter change got messy and drained down. Thus, what you are seeing is the remnants. Locate your fuel filter. Maybe pour some water near there and see if it ends up near those two holes?
Also check 4-6 inches below each fuel injector. If a fuel injector crush washer goes bad, black tarry drips may fall close to this.

I'm no expert. Just trying to brain storm for yea. Check the fuel filter location and see if diesel and dirt dripped down during a change. Check fuel injector for possible leak. It will leak out a seep hole 4-6 inches below the injector.

Otherwise, your undercarriage looks amazing.

Good luck. Keep us informed
The following users liked this post:
Super Stroby (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 10:49 AM
ChrisTDI
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

+1 for fuel filter job that got messy.
When diesel "dries" it tends to leave behind a oily residue. Keep an eye on it but I wouldn't be too concerned especially if you don't smell anything.
The following 2 users liked this post by ChrisTDI:
KBell (05-31-2023), Super Stroby (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 01:04 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

The diesels are know to leak oil and seem to be warranted for some under the diesel gate settlement. Mine is going in shortly for the leak fixes and it has less than 65k and has been leaking for some time.
Super Stroby (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 09:01 PM
s996
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Agree with above.

Shock leak may be chronic but if it failed should be easy for them to evaluate and you should feel it, this looks like maybe old diesel and would make sense if the filter was changed.

I have a 14 but the diesel leaks in predictable places

Rear timing cover bad epoxy from factory, engine out, motor oil on under cover,

Valve cover gaskets right more than left and injector crush washers leaking to the outside (passenger side)

I had all fixed at 70k and injectors are leaking again on the right bank.

Now at 102k no more shop service unless major. Diesel fix is still active for you take it in to the dealer.

Last edited by s996; 05-31-2023 at 09:06 PM.
Super Stroby (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 01:38 AM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Anyone with diesel leaks had rear main seal leak? That's what it looked like when we first noticed it on oil change. Usually have oil changed at indy where I can see what they are doing, the first time I noticed leaks was an oil change about 5-6K after dealer changed oil- no mention of wet under pan from them. I never get drips but the under pan is fairly dry oil.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:32 PM
Super Stroby
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 100 Posts

I will take it to the local dealership for its first oil change under my ownership and have them take a look for leaks while in for service. I have the diesel warranty until Sept 2025. If there will be an issue hopefully it happens in the next two years. I'm currently trying to decide if I should swap out the whole suspension system or just buy a shock off of eBay and replace it.

Quick Reply: 2016 Cayenne Diesel - Possible Leak