Sponsored By:

2 driver door handle issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2023, 05:10 PM
figure1a
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 2 driver door handle issues

The exterior driver door handle lock tiny button is not working. But the grab the handle to unlock works fine. The tiny buttons on the other 3 doors still work fine. This thread seems outline the same issue but with most people saying their problem was with the actuator. I seem to think it is just the button since the door lock actuator works fine by all other means (grab, remote, interior door lock button). I think buying a whole new handle would probably be unnecessary as it would have to be painted also and getting the paint the match without blending the whole door is probably not going to happen. Anyone else successfully just replace the button/electronics from a salvage handle from eBay?

The 2nd problem is that I can't get the door handle off to see if I can remove just the button and use my idea from above. I followed this
to get the handle off which seems pretty easy (just loosen/remove the two bolts) and the lock cylinder should slide right out and then the handle can come off. But my lock cylinder will not budge. I even rapped it with a hammer just to see if was weather corroded but it still will to budge. Am I missing a step or anyone ever have this same issue?
Old 05-28-2023, 11:55 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3,008 Likes on 1,782 Posts

That DIY wants to make me put a bullet in my head.

Remove only one of the two bolts. The screw that is closest to the interior of the car comes completely out. The screw that is closest to the exterior should only be unscrewed to the point it is blocked. At this point, you'll need to push it forward with a screwdriver to be able to release the cylinder.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-29-2023, 01:20 AM
figure1a
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

"At this point, you'll need to push it forward with a screwdriver to be able to release the cylinder. " Thank you. This might be what I needed. I will try again next weekend.
Old 05-29-2023, 01:58 PM
kvec
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

If the button is dead, you’re in for a new handle. No other option. Removing the handles is easy—takes about 5 minutes and you need a tool with a hook. This thread has some good info on it. I’ve replaced all 4 door handles. I suggest sourcing a used handle on eBay with a color close to yours.
Old 05-29-2023, 02:54 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3,008 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Or you can go with a black handle mod like the new Cayennes.

$192 to your front door from Rose Passion.

From China!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38555740648...Cclp%3A2047675

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 05-29-2023 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply: 2 driver door handle issues