958 Air Strut assembly choices?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 09:19 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
Have you seen them in bad shape? How many miles?
Not yet! The highest mileage I've personally seen and dealt with was 135k miles, and while every single control arm was shot on that Cayenne and required replacement where most of the control arms had to be cut off due of bolt corrosion, the shocks were/are fine.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:26 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Just ordered the OEM B4 bilstein air struts from Rock. They were about $935 a pop for the fronts. Same price as the remanufactured Arnotts but without a core return required. Will let me keep my OGs and do my own rebuild and have an extra set!

Sadly I will have to eat the shipping costs on the Arnott's I ordered.
Old 05-04-2023, 10:02 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3,009 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Originally Posted by Ripking
Just ordered the OEM B4 bilstein air struts from Rock. They were about $935 a pop for the fronts. Same price as the remanufactured Arnotts but without a core return required. Will let me keep my OGs and do my own rebuild and have an extra set!

Sadly I will have to eat the shipping costs on the Arnott's I ordered.
Remember, work on one shock at a time. Push nitrogen to accumulator, change shock and pull it back in. If you're running air in your system, might be good time to flush and make sure it's all grade 5 nitrogen.

Also, make sure date codes are good and that you got the new style where the valve screws into the shock.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:58 AM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 890 Likes on 603 Posts

Agree 100% on the recommended option, just trying to see if I can save a pretty penny.

Also, just called Arnott with a bunch of questions... Looks like they only sell Passive units. This means that if you have a Sport, Normal or Soft setting in your Cayenne (which I'm sure you do), these shocks will not change when you press those buttons. They will just be at the normal setting all the time. Also, Arnott doesn't do Lifetime Warranty any longer and are now at 2 years. Suddenly I'm starting to come up with a decision.
Check your part numbers: if you ordered AS-3235 and AS-3236, they won't do the different dampening. If you ordered the AS-3056 and AS-3057 then they will do dampening since those are rebuilt units. Also, if you ordered from FCPEURO, you will still have lifetime warranty, but Arnott itself only does 2 years apparently now.
I always thought they sold two. New ones are passive and don't adjust but they also had oem rebuilds that worked as designed.
Old 05-05-2023, 06:32 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by s65e90
I always thought they sold two. New ones are passive and don't adjust but they also had oem rebuilds that worked as designed.
They do have both, right now they only have the front rebuilt ones. no rears. but he ordered the wrong ones accidentally.
Old 05-06-2023, 12:06 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Found this.... Looks like maybe someone here on the forum already did a video on replacing O-Ring and shock mount.

Old 05-06-2023, 12:55 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Found this.... Looks like maybe someone here on the forum already did a video on replacing O-Ring and shock mount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Ei1UEDj6o
That is this member's whip. He is still having an issue.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...n-issue-3.html
Old 05-06-2023, 10:09 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
That is this member's whip. He is still having an issue.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...n-issue-3.html
Sucks to hear. I'm going to attempt to replace the o-ring anyway, since it's the cheapest route. If that doesn't work or I discover the strut to be dead, I'll replace the while thing with the RMT units, I think.... kind of made a decision on this by now after going back and forth here several times.

I'm ok with being the guinea pig for you all if it comes to that RMT company.
Old 05-06-2023, 01:07 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Sucks to hear. I'm going to attempt to replace the o-ring anyway, since it's the cheapest route. If that doesn't work or I discover the strut to be dead, I'll replace the while thing with the RMT units, I think.... kind of made a decision on this by now after going back and forth here several times.

I'm ok with being the guinea pig for you all if it comes to that RMT company.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/rebuild-mas...-ft-lauderdale
Old 05-06-2023, 01:16 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Ei1UEDj6o
This member, maybe he will chime in, is still having an issue and my opinion is that he was wingin it and did not reassemble properly, leading to his shocks still leaking. AS noted, his shocks lost air when one side was lifted putting extra pressure on the opposite side. Bolts not torqued properly can bend and flex the system making for small deviations in sealing areas. Also it wasn't the cleanest working environment and get a little dirt on that oring and air will find it's escape route.

Proper tools, proper working environment and proper manuals is the key to success. Ovrlrdtra, dm me if you still have issues and I'll try to help out any way I can. Garrett is more versed than I but I'll do what I can.
Old 05-06-2023, 04:39 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Where can I locate the torque values for shock reassembly?

I'm sure I can get torque specs for top and bottom of shock and suspension parts around the shock.
Old 05-06-2023, 06:16 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Old 05-08-2023, 04:51 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for those specs. I didn't see it till now.

I ended up changing out the Owings and strut mounts (that rubber part) on both rear shocks.

Ride is much better, shocks hold air now, especially the one that was fully deflated.

No more rattling coming from the shocks going over random bumps.

Ended up cutting the electrical plus like everyone else. But tried to remove connector with no success for about 45min.

Before installing new parts, I cleaned the he'll out of the o-ring Grove, as well as the flat surface that the rubber mount sits on.

My only mishap is that I torqued one of the body to shock bolts that it broke off. Not sure if I should drill it out and get new bolt or get new top shock cover.
Attached Images    

Last edited by F SANE IL; 05-08-2023 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:51 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

You broke the bolt off in the hole?
Old 05-09-2023, 12:47 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
You broke the bolt off in the hole?
It's stuck in the strut. Only 3 bolts holding the strut in place to the car right now. Wasn't really overtorque, was more like it was rusty and was going in tight. Kept going because it was still above the floor. Then pop...

Need to get this part, plus one bolt.

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...Y4LWdhcw%3D%3D

Last edited by F SANE IL; 05-09-2023 at 12:56 AM.

Quick Reply: 958 Air Strut assembly choices?