Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 10:58 AM
Topfin
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My experience

Originally Posted by john981
Hi

I have the opportunity to buy a well serviced non CPO 2016 base with 100k miles for USD20k. I think the transfer case is still under warranty. Is it a bad idea to buy such a high mileage porsche without warranty or is there a good chance that I can enjoy it for a while without paying an arm and a leg for repair costs. I know generally people say don't do it but am curious to hear from people who own a high mileage cayenne or bough one. Thank you for your help!

over the last two years I have replaced my entire stable with high mileage cayennes.

2013 base dressed as a GTS non CPO bought at 103k for daughter instead of a Japanese tin can new. Only issue so far is rear passenger door lock not working. She loves it! I loved driving it so much I bought a

2015 cayenne S for my self with 83k on it. Been good to have CPO on this one. Blower motor and lessee lock on drivers door handle on the door broke. Both covered. Awesome car I love driving every day. It feels special. If I didn’t have CPO I could have lived without the door handle lock working.

Love both cayennes so much I bought my wife a CPO 2014 cayenne turbo. This car is immaculate and gorgeous. She loves it. We have three year CPO on it. It did end up needing a transfer case fully covered by CPO. Now that I have so much experience with these cayennes and how the drive trains are supposed to feel, I can tell the state of the transfer case.

I totally recommend high mileage cayennes as many are elk taken care of. Just make sure the transfer case is good when you buy it if you’re not doing CPO. Expect something to go wrong with the door locks. Expect a blower motor to go. Only cost of parts if you do the fixes yourself.

One other thing. Expect to clean the drains at least once per year. Learn to do it yourself to save dollars.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:20 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Topfin
Expect something to go wrong with the door locks. Expect a blower motor to go. Only cost of parts if you do the fixes yourself.
You just helped me decide between the Platinum and Gold Fidelity warranties.

Platinum should cover both of those failures.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:39 AM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Topfin
over the last two years I have replaced my entire stable with high mileage cayennes.

2013 base dressed as a GTS non CPO bought at 103k for daughter instead of a Japanese tin can new. Only issue so far is rear passenger door lock not working. She loves it! I loved driving it so much I bought a

2015 cayenne S for my self with 83k on it. Been good to have CPO on this one. Blower motor and lessee lock on drivers door handle on the door broke. Both covered. Awesome car I love driving every day. It feels special. If I didn’t have CPO I could have lived without the door handle lock working.

Love both cayennes so much I bought my wife a CPO 2014 cayenne turbo. This car is immaculate and gorgeous. She loves it. We have three year CPO on it. It did end up needing a transfer case fully covered by CPO. Now that I have so much experience with these cayennes and how the drive trains are supposed to feel, I can tell the state of the transfer case.

I totally recommend high mileage cayennes as many are elk taken care of. Just make sure the transfer case is good when you buy it if you’re not doing CPO. Expect something to go wrong with the door locks. Expect a blower motor to go. Only cost of parts if you do the fixes yourself.

One other thing. Expect to clean the drains at least once per year. Learn to do it yourself to save dollars.
I took the rubber tips off of all the drains and am taking my chances with the bugs. Its been pleasant so far.

Nice set of Cayennes!
Old 04-21-2023, 12:11 PM
Topfin
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default The fleet

Originally Posted by jpru2001
I took the rubber tips off of all the drains and am taking my chances with the bugs. Its been pleasant so far.

Nice set of Cayennes!

The following 2 users liked this post by Topfin:
GTCharlie (04-22-2023), RAudi Driver (04-21-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 02:10 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3,009 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Just a heads up that a jump to the S model is a good move as that base V6, 300 hp engineis a dog. It's pretty slow.
Old 04-21-2023, 11:27 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Just a heads up that a jump to the S model is a good move as that base V6, 300 hp engineis a dog. It's pretty slow.
I have a 2015 S w/76k miles on it and had a whole slew of problems with it over the years since buying it new. The bulk of which related to engine. Now the nice thing is while under warranty I got put into many base Cayennes for weeks at a time. Many a time I said I’d happily just exchanged my S for the base since seemingly that “VW” motor was much more sorted. Although the reality is I also got put in many a Macan too, I’d get one of those instead simply because found much more fun to drive.
Old 04-22-2023, 01:27 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Snipe656
I have a 2015 S w/76k miles on it and had a whole slew of problems with it over the years since buying it new. The bulk of which related to engine. Now the nice thing is while under warranty I got put into many base Cayennes for weeks at a time. Many a time I said I’d happily just exchanged my S for the base since seemingly that “VW” motor was much more sorted. Although the reality is I also got put in many a Macan too, I’d get one of those instead simply because found much more fun to drive.
I think he's referring to the 958.1 V8 S model... The V8s are great engines.
Old 04-22-2023, 10:07 AM
Snipe656
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Got it, just figured since the OP was looking at a 958.2 base that the reply was encouraging to jump from the base to the S.
Old 04-22-2023, 05:04 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 161 Posts

My biggest challenge is to find a decent deal. I am open to a base, S, GTS or even a Turbo but I am not willing to pay e.g. for a 2016 base with 90k miles $35k, no matter how clean it is. It has to make sense. Most of the commercially listed Cayennes are priced way too high and there are hardly any privately listed ones. Any ideas where to find one?
Old 04-22-2023, 07:15 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 482 Posts

My biggest challenge is to find a decent deal. I am open to a base, S, GTS or even a Turbo but I am not willing to pay e.g. for a 2016 base with 90k miles $35k, no matter how clean it is. It has to make sense. Most of the commercially listed Cayennes are priced way too high and there are hardly any privately listed ones. Any ideas where to find one?
Deal, as in a low price for a good Cayenne?
With a Cayenne, this is very difficult unless you move fast, get eyes on it, know what you to look for, and assess it. Good ones, and bad ones, tend to sell quickly these days. And what's difficult, is that it is SO EASY to buy a Cayenne that seems good and all of a sudden you're looking at $10,000 in work to sort it; and way more than that if you can't do the work yourself. The fancier the trim, the more stuff to go wrong and greater cost to fix. That's what makes buying an inexpensive one from a no-name used car lot, so risky! There are so many people that dump their Cayennes as trade ins, since they don't want to deal with their expensive issues. Auctions pick them, up, used car dealers buy them, and pass them off with all their problems to the next owner.

Unless you want a project, or have such love that having to pay a few thousand to sort current and future issues that arise with a used Cayenne is OK, then it might be best to buy from a Porsche dealer, or large network dealer.
Old 04-23-2023, 09:53 AM
slombard3000
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I have the opportunity to buy a well serviced non CPO 2016 base with 100k miles for USD20k. I think the transfer case is still under warranty. Is it a bad idea to buy such a high mileage porsche without warranty or is there a good chance that I can enjoy it for a while without paying an arm and a leg for repair costs. I know generally people say don't do it but am curious to hear from people who own a high mileage cayenne or bough one. Thank you for your help!
Double check the transfer case .. it's 7 years from the time the car was delivered. I have a 2016 and it is out of warranty.

Check Carfax and see if you can see any maintenance or dealers it was at. Call the with VIN to see what maintenance was done.

Look for transfer case, coolant lines, power steering pump, starter. These are items I have had fixed on my 16 GTS

Also, no apple car play on 2016.

Hopefully with 100k they hit all those already.
Old 05-22-2023, 03:06 PM
PFDGSB
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

To clarify your statement, can you please cite these "many" other owners that you know of, specifically?

And regarding your personal transfer case replacement situation, isn't it correct you actually do not know for sure if your last failed transfer case (done after 2018) was actually the GNC upgraded version? You'd need to know the software version of that transfer case; do you know that info to confirm it was the updated version?
Here's another . . . https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...lves-help.html
Old 05-22-2023, 05:05 PM
991TurboTim
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

My experience has been:
- As reliable as anything else out there
- Great Build Quality, Fit, and Finish
- Investigate a warranty. Think of them like insurance policies.
- If they are not available for sale - again, think of them similar to an insurance policy - if they won't offer a warranty similar to a high risk driver

TK
Old 05-22-2023, 07:45 PM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

Unfortunately the car was sold as I got there. It is these days so difficult to find a decent Cayenne for a good price. There are hardly any good private offers and the dealerships want much more than the car is worth. Any ideas where to look?
I would like to know where all these buyers for used Cayenne’s are? I’ve had mine listed on Rennlist and on PCA mart for a couple weeks and so far only 2 inquiries and pretty sure both were used car dealers looking for inventory but low balling me without even any real serious questions. No way I’m trading it in with estimates around $15k for trade or cash value.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (05-22-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 10:48 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3,009 Likes on 1,782 Posts

I was talking about any of them except for the base V6 with 300 hp. That thing, although reliable, is not the peppiest car to drive. I'm not savvy on the reliability of the 958.2 V6 turbo engine, except that it needed a software update and it is famous for an oil leak in the front. That's about it.

Quick Reply: How risky is to buy a high mileage (100k miles) 2016 base cayenne