Sponsored By:

Alignment in Mass

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 05:36 PM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Alignment in Mass

So I called around to several places to get a rough idea about a front end alignment for my 2015 CD. I called a place just over the border in Mass and they quoted me $270 ++. They said that, in addition to the alignment they were now required "by law" to check all safety features on the vehicle. When I asked what features they were talking about, they said car in the lane sensors, parking sensors, cruise control sensors, etc. I told them I didn't have Adaptive Cruise or any of those more modern driving assist features. I also asked what that had to do with an alignment?

It sounded like BS to me. Has anyone, particularly in Mass, ever heard of this requirement/law??
Old 02-22-2023, 09:41 AM
Reeds
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SSDVC
So I called around to several places to get a rough idea about a front end alignment for my 2015 CD. I called a place just over the border in Mass and they quoted me $270 ++. They said that, in addition to the alignment they were now required "by law" to check all safety features on the vehicle. When I asked what features they were talking about, they said car in the lane sensors, parking sensors, cruise control sensors, etc. I told them I didn't have Adaptive Cruise or any of those more modern driving assist features. I also asked what that had to do with an alignment?

It sounded like BS to me. Has anyone, particularly in Mass, ever heard of this requirement/law??
Likely a boilerplate response they give when they don’t know what features your car has, but they’re not incorrect in that an alignment should include recalibration of the ACC sensor on Cayennes. It may mot be a legal requirement but any reputable shop wouldn’t want the liability associated with doing an alignment, not recalibrating the ACC and then having it cause an accident.

Check local dealers specials on alignments, especially if you have air because that can be tricky to get right. Burlington is $259 at the moment, I had mine done (958.1 with air) at Nashua and have no complaints.
The following users liked this post:
KBell (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 07:10 PM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

No Air Suspension, no Adaptive Cruise Control. It should be a straight forward alignment, just like any other vehicle. I don't think there is anything special for my CD as far as an alignment goes......................Am I wrong?
Old 02-23-2023, 08:59 PM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

I'll try and ask again. I am tying to make sure that getting an alignment on my 2015 (no ACC or Air Suspension) should be a straight forward deal, just like any other vehicle. Do I have it right?

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2023, 11:41 AM
2PartsEther
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SSDVC

This is BS. No such law in MA. Car repair scammers. It's like replacing your tires and the shop telling you NEED to get an alignment. Not so. If your tires were wearing normally and it drove straight, no alignment required. Best part is the nonsense "european alignment" or whatever they want to call it that costs more than a normal alignment. Basically this is an inflated cost that may offset that it could require more adjustments to get within specs. My experience is most the places don't try to hard and will toss your car back to you with it out of alignment and claim they couldn't get it closer.
The following users liked this post:
SSDVC (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 01:19 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,975 Likes on 1,763 Posts

Originally Posted by 2PartsEther
This is BS. No such law in MA. Car repair scammers. It's like replacing your tires and the shop telling you NEED to get an alignment. Not so. If your tires were wearing normally and it drove straight, no alignment required. Best part is the nonsense "european alignment" or whatever they want to call it that costs more than a normal alignment. Basically this is an inflated cost that may offset that it could require more adjustments to get within specs. My experience is most the places don't try to hard and will toss your car back to you with it out of alignment and claim they couldn't get it closer.
Gospel!

Quick Reply: Alignment in Mass