Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How To: Cut a hole in the muffler and make the V8 sound awesome (video in thread)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 02:25 PM
mikescayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

i purchased this and it sounds awesome. I will post a video later... for some reason it sounded wayyyy more knarly without the exhaust tips on as well when i was waiting for the quad tips to come in. Once i bolted the quad tips on, it quieted it down a bit but still sounds awesome.It even farts on the upshifts from 1st to 2nd, and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd (when at full throttle).

https://flat6motorsports.com/product...em-cayenne-958

Video when first installed, cold start without exhaust tips installed:

Video recorded tonight (3/5/2024), inside vehicle, full throttle, rolling start. Windows rolled up at first then at :30 seconds windows rolled down:

Last edited by mikescayenne; 03-05-2024 at 10:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
958_beast (03-06-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 10:32 PM
mikescayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Videos uploaded above as promised, switching out the exhaust really wakes these cars up! This is another option if considering doing the secondary CAT delete, both similarly priced. This was also bolt on and very very easy to install.

Last edited by mikescayenne; 03-06-2024 at 01:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FlatOverCrest71 (03-06-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 04:54 PM
nkbitsch
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emission?

Has anyone done any emission tests after applying the “cut hole, remove wadding method”?

I am really tempted cutting the holes, but here in northern Europe we have to pass an emission test every two years, and Im slightly afraid of the outcome.

Originally Posted by TyreReviews;[url=tel:18639670
18639670[/url]]A number of people have been wondering if you can cut the blanking ports of the stock 958 S muffler out and make the Cayenne sound better. As I plan to cut half my exhaust off eventually, I thought I'd give it a try.

The good news is that you can, it's really easy, and it makes the Cayenne sound like it should have from the factory (and quite similar to the GTS.)

The bad news is it can make your lungs feel itchy if you're not careful.

How to:
1) Get a hole saw attachment for your drill
2) Lay down near the back of the cayenne and locate the blanking plate
3) Drill hole
4) Get some sort of tool, I used a bent coat hanger and fish out all the fiberglass exhaust wadding
4.1) Wonder if the exhaust is secretly magic at all the wadding it contains.
5) Repeat on the other side
6) Enjoy

I would thoroughly recommend wearing an N95 mask, long sleeves and gloves when you're doing this. I'm not sure what exhaust soaked fiberglass will do to the lungs, but I didn't want to find out.

Pictures

The hole cut

Some of the wadding out

More of the wadding out. This was about 70% of it.

Videos
Cold start. It sounds raspy when cold but once warmed up the rasp sadly goes (I like it.) You do get the rasp if you use more than 1/3rd throttle in a certain rev range but again it goes away when hot. This video makes it sound louder than it is most of the time.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UrAZHYQwsdd59Ce66

In car with window down. Quite hard to tell when cruising. I also realize my car makes odd noises which the phone picked up a lot.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZmKGSgxba5eMRH7B8

On a motorway cruise at steady speed you're hard pressed to know it's been done. With all the windows up it's quite subtle even when accelerating.

I've now driven for 5 months / around 1000 miles with no issues. I'll try and get a driveby if anyone is interested.

Really, it's what the V8 SHOULD have sounded like from factory. Not intrusive, not loud, but you can now tell you're driving a V8 which I love, without ruining the internal comfort. But, I want it louder so the exhaust will be cut off before the muffler soon
Old 07-22-2024, 04:59 PM
TyreReviews
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I've since cut the backbox clean off and it passes emissions no problem here in Utah. The backbox is responsible for sound, the cats are there for emissions and they're further up the chain.

Obviously YMMV and it's worth double checking your local laws about noise.
Old 07-22-2024, 05:12 PM
nkbitsch
4th Gear

That makes sense!

I'm not looking for an ultra-noisy solution. I'm just looking for a slight bit of V8

For the people that used plugs to reduce the hole size after cutting, what material did you use? I assume it should be slightly heat-resistant.
Originally Posted by TyreReviews;[url=tel:19559114
19559114[/url]]I've since cut the backbox clean off and it passes emissions no problem here in Utah. The backbox is responsible for sound, the cats are there for emissions and they're further up the chain.

Obviously YMMV and it's worth double checking your local laws about noise.
Old 09-20-2024, 04:37 AM
nkbitsch
4th Gear

Does any of you know if the original PSE has the wadding inside, or if it's removed?

The reason I ask is, that the original PSE would have been approved, noise-wise, here in Europe.

Our cars are tested for noise and emissions every two years, and it would be a bummer to fall on the noise (I believe the limit is 80dB at 3000prm).

Old 09-20-2024, 11:40 AM
jaustin
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Has anyone use the top speed pro and the secondary cat delete? If so do you have a sound clip?

Quick Reply: How To: Cut a hole in the muffler and make the V8 sound awesome (video in thread)