Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tire Chains for Winter - Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 07:54 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

The wheels and tires are in Berkeley, Ca. A bit far from you. I don't know what it would cost to ship them to you. In the past when I needed a sailboat shipped from Phoenix to Truckee I put it on a site that brokers small shipments and got plenty of responses. You might try that to see what you come up with. I think I went to a site U Ship It or something like that. The person who we went with had a 24 ft trailer that he pulled with a big pickup truck and picked up stuff along the way from Phoenix to Truckee and farther. Interesting way to make a living! He was a nice guy and it turns out his family manufactures shocks for motorcycles. Let me know what you might find on line. I don't know how much they weigh but my hunch is that they go on size. I can measure them if you are interested.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:19 PM
wyowolf
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
800$ lol...
The following users liked this post:
wkearney99 (12-04-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 09:02 PM
Surf SD
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Hmmmm, CA requires chains in the car with you, so maybe I just bring the ones for my other car and hope I am ok, as I have never had to use them on my V70R Volvo station wagon (my truck) and I have tackled some deep unplowed roads during storms with AS tires.
Old 12-01-2022, 05:45 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

California requires M&S on all 4 wheels if you have a 4 wheel drive. I've never seen them require chains on 4 wd with m&S tires. If you don't have a 4 wheel drive and M&S tires you have to have chains ON THE TIRES- they have chain control points where they inspect before letting you through. Take a look at magnifeye.com for California road conditions and live web cams- Not much fun on major highways over the Sierras when they get many feet of snow and the US 80 often is closed. A few years ago many Teslas got stranded when they ran out of battery in traffic or stopped when the road closed- had to be towed. No battery = no heat!
Old 12-03-2022, 03:15 PM
Surf SD
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by reneeweiss
California requires M&S on all 4 wheels if you have a 4 wheel drive. I've never seen them require chains on 4 wd with m&S tires.
You may not have seen them required, but per the below, you need them in the car regardless in CA.

During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are Three Levels of Chain Requirements in California:
  • Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
  • Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
    NOTE: (Four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
  • Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:48 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info. I have never seen them ask or look for chains in your car in R1 or R2 conditions. Regardless when it snows hard the mountain roads are a challenge because most people have never driven in the snow. We would often see people putting on chains dressed in light jackets and sneakers. When we had a mt. house we avoided traveling there in snowstorms or leaving.
Old 12-07-2022, 01:53 PM
Tappet
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I've gone up into the mountains in CA near Lake Tahoe and in Bear Valley quite a lot, and I agree, they've never checked for the presence of chains in R1 and R2 conditions, and they usually close the main roads before R3 happens, so the only way you hit that situation is if you're already up there on the side roads.

That being said, I would not go up during forecasted snow without chains, even on snow tires. I've driven two other cars up there with great AWD systems, a Subaru Outback and my Focus RS (which is incredible in slippery conditions), on snow tires, and there have been conditions where all 4 wheels just spin in the snow with Blizzaks for tires. It happens when there's a layer of ice under the snow and the weather gets warmer. I was only able to move the car, at all, with chains.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:47 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

The best thing is to be up in the mts. and not have to drive until the snow stops and roads are pretty clear. Yes, the ice is the culprit particularly on hilly driveways. I bring a bag of sand to a house I sometimes use in the winter since it has a steep driveway that allows the snow to melt during the day and freeze at night not thawing until mid afternoon for a short time and the cycle begins again.
Old 02-24-2023, 05:16 PM
YvonneSoCal
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still got chains?

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I've got 3 sets of chains for the Cayenne all brand new. I no longer need them so if anyone want a pair for a deal, chime in.

For 2014 Cayenne with 19” tires?
Old 02-24-2023, 05:54 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

I have snow tires on OEM Porsche Wheels that are 18 inch and will fit your car. See my ad here in classified or go to craigslist san francisco under wheels. You have to check to see if they will fit your car. Some Cayenne models have larger brake rotors and need bigger wheels. If you calculate the tire sizes you will find that they are
similar to 19 inch wheels and tires but again you have to know your model cayenne. Let me know if you are interested or have questions. You are better off with snow tires rather than chains.

Here is what is posted on Craigslist :
I have a set of 4 Genuine 18 inch OEM Porsche Wheels with Bridgestone Blizzak Snow tires mounted and balanced with TPMS and Porsche center crest. The wheels are from a 2015 Cayenne and are in excellent condition. 255/55/18 109T Bridgestone Blizzak DM V2 The snow tires have about 500 miles on them and were used once to go to Truckee 3 years ago. They have been stored in my garage ever since. They were used on my 2013 Cayenne but may also fit other Porsches (Macan) They may also work on Audi Q5 or Q7 or VW Toureg or other models or cars. You are responsible for making sure they fit your car. Other numbers on back of wheels. 8JX18 H2 E 153 R D 575 BBS MADE IN GERMANY. ET is 53mm which I think is the offset- I will check to make sure.Let me know if you are interested or have questions. These are the kind of snow tires locals use in the mountains. New OEM Porsche wheels are about $1200. each. No longer going to Truckee in winter so don't need them. Don't get stuck in the snow!
Dedicated snow tires stop better in the snow than just plain M&S tires and summer tires- forget it. Cash only please. These are in Berkeley, Ca.

Quick Reply: Tire Chains for Winter - Advice