Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Steering shake, car shake, vibration. Swap rims NY/NJ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 07:17 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Steering shake, car shake, vibration. Swap rims NY/NJ?

Anyone close to Staten Island and willing to swap rims with me for 10 minutes?

I got an annoying shake/vibration I've been chasing that's not going away.

Swapped a bunch of suspension parts already. Things got better, then got wheel alignment at Porsche and all new tires, now shakes again or maybe just still shakes. I'm wondering if rims just bad or new tires defective.

Thinking if I prove that it's not the rims by driving with another set on highway (60mph is where it starts to shake). Then maybe it's inner CV joints.

At a loss at this point.... upper and lower trailing arms, sway links, tie rod ends, rotors, pads, tires are all new. Rims checked and straightened year ago.

Taking any advice and maybe an invite to swap rims. Will pay with drinks for entertaining my idea.
Old 10-01-2022, 09:50 PM
Diesel4Life
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Check for warped brake rotor
Old 10-02-2022, 03:21 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

Shake at 60 mph is wheel balance. Get your tires balanced. If you just had it done, get it done again at a different place. Have them check the wheel before they do the work and if needed then balance. Then check again afterwards to see how much of an improvement they were able to achieve.

If you had them road force balanced to begin with, then do a static balance or make sure the wheel tech knows his stuff before another road force balance is done. Those Hunter machines can be a nightmare for techs who don't know how to operate them correctly. I've had the 60 mph steering wheel vibration many times and every time it's boiled down to wheel, tire balance issues. My first GT3 had to have the wheels balanced 4 times before they got it correct. My new GT3RS had to go to three shops before they were able to get it done right.

If it were your rotors, then at 60 mph, your brake pedal with also be pulsating.

Also, you mentioned that your rims were straightened a year ago. Are you on stock wheels? That's a good thing if you are as they are strong. If not then I'm going to go with repaired rims becoming bent again.
The following users liked this post:
Ripking (10-02-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 11:08 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Shake at 60 mph is wheel balance. Get your tires balanced. If you just had it done, get it done again at a different place. Have them check the wheel before they do the work and if needed then balance. Then check again afterwards to see how much of an improvement they were able to achieve.

If you had them road force balanced to begin with, then do a static balance or make sure the wheel tech knows his stuff before another road force balance is done. Those Hunter machines can be a nightmare for techs who don't know how to operate them correctly. I've had the 60 mph steering wheel vibration many times and every time it's boiled down to wheel, tire balance issues. My first GT3 had to have the wheels balanced 4 times before they got it correct. My new GT3RS had to go to three shops before they were able to get it done right.

If it were your rotors, then at 60 mph, your brake pedal with also be pulsating.

Also, you mentioned that your rims were straightened a year ago. Are you on stock wheels? That's a good thing if you are as they are strong. If not then I'm going to go with repaired rims becoming bent again.
That's the thing I'm trying to rule our, rims. I've done everything with rims, balanced several times at different places, rotors as mentioned are new. If this turns out to be just rims balance I'm going to close these shops up. They shouldn't be in business if they don't know how to do what they specialize in....

After making the post yesterday, driving on highway at 60 and road was turning left, vibration went away completely at some point after turning. Then came back on the straight..

I still think I just need to try another full set of rims to see if shake goes away or is still there with another set. If it stops, I'll work on rims. If it persists, I'll keep digging into the Cayenne, not much left, but all expensive stuff... CV's, diff, steering rack.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:15 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

UPDATE:

End the panic, it's fixed.

I truly feel like an embarrassed idiot on here. The place I went to for tire change yesterday must have been drunk doing the balance. I dropped by another spot today just to say I did it... This place allows you to stand right next to the guy doing your balance and holy crap!! I've never seen rims/tires be so out of whack. Removing weights on all of them showed way better balance already and all except one rim, required about .25oz. One had a bend on the inside, which they say can be fixed mon-fri for $120, but the weights balanced it out none the less.
On the way home, going 103 and CS feels like new!

Pictures are worth a 1000 words, see this horror yourself. This pic is before work was done by this se one shop. This wheel was apparently balanced yesterday.
Attached Images  

Last edited by F SANE IL; 10-02-2022 at 08:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Monetizer (01-27-2024)
Old 10-02-2022, 09:10 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

I'm glad it worked out and glad you took my advice on the issue. It saved you a ton of headaches.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:33 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I'm glad it worked out and glad you took my advice on the issue. It saved you a ton of headaches.
100%%% Thank you for insisting.

Now I just need to figure out the CEL light...

Quick Reply: Steering shake, car shake, vibration. Swap rims NY/NJ?