Sponsored By:

Help DTC/CELs: P1069, P0068, P0431

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 09:07 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Question Help DTC/CELs: P1069, P0068, P0431

Hey everyone, I am hoping to get some help tracking down these check engine codes that have recently surfaced. I posted about this on my build thread with more photos, but I don't think anyone follows that.

Obviously the codes it's throwing are: P1069, P0068, and P0431. These codes have basically only shown up after the most recent modifications/upgrades: ECU tune by Todd @ Protomotive (Porsche tuning expert, generally trust what he's doing), larger cone short ram air intake filters, larger 82mm throttle body (modified factory y-plenum to kinda fit as temp fix...), and especially the Capristo secondary cat bypass pipes.
Each time I clear the codes, they'll come back maybe within an hour of driving, so I know they're not false positives. And when the light(s) come back, sometimes the vehicle acts like it's in some kind of "limp mode" if you will. It will barely build boost past 4psi. I don't think it's a physical boost leak though, because it's intermittent behavior. Other times, it boosts just fine up to 14psi or whatever. After I installed the larger cone filters and the secondary cat delete pipes, this puppy was FLYING. I just mean it was quick. It moved faster than I ever remember. So I was happy. Then the codes started coming.

Here are my theories/ideas:
  • Bad O2 sensor(s)? Vehicle does have 113,000 miles, so perhaps they're started to go bad? Weird that this issue just happened after recent work. And bad O2 sensors shouldn't affect boost...
  • Bad MAP sensor? Here's the thing, I just replaced it with a factory OEM perfectly new MAP sensor when I did the larger throttle body upgrade, so I don't know why it'd be bad already.
  • Issues with the y-pipe plenum not really seating or sealing perfectly on the new larger throttle body? I do plan to purchase a solution that fits i.e. FISHER 957 turbo S to 958 turbo Y pipe
  • Throttle body calibration? Didn't think that was a thing or necessary on the 958.1, but maybe I'm wrong?
  • Something with the ECU tune i.e. it's not calibrated correctly for the recent modifications: larger air intakes (more air coming into the system than previously?) and less restrictive exhaust. However, the factory O2 sensors and cats are still in place, and my understanding of the Upstream and Downstream O2 sensors are to monitor the exhaust pre and post catalytic converter (main) on either side. Not sure how doing the secondary cat delete pipes would affect that since it's a fairly common modification many Cayenne owners do and all the websites that sell these usually say they won't trigger a CEL.

Any help or advice or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Durametric

HPTuners
Old 10-01-2022, 01:08 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

1. Are you using 02 spacers?
Old 10-01-2022, 07:07 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
1. Are you using 02 spacers?
Negative ghost rider. Should I be? I don't even want to think about working on these factory O2 sensors due to their location. Sounds like a huge hassle and lots of weird angles and curse words and yelling lol
Old 10-13-2022, 02:28 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

BUMP. Anyone?

Quick Reply: Help DTC/CELs: P1069, P0068, P0431