Sponsored By:

Mozart Electronics - Apple CarPlay/Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 03:41 PM
boatrace
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mozart Electronics - Apple CarPlay/Android Auto

Does anyone have experience with this setup? Not finding much on it, but my local installer wants to go with this.

https://mozartelectronics.com/produc...-apple-carplay
Old 09-28-2022, 03:56 PM
RGTorque
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

dont see how this is any different than the early joyaudio style units. does not even say its covered for M.O.S.T. like mr12v.

if your looking, i have a new m12v system i can ofer you for $400...
Old 09-29-2022, 06:52 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Heck, I may be interested in a mr12v setup haha but RG is right. Plus, that Mozart setup looks damn expensive. They all seem to be some rebranded/repackaged version of Chinese Alibaba cheap-o crap. At least that was my experience with a similar product by GTA Car Kits.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:46 PM
Tappet
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

When I was recently doing my research before buying my Cayenne, I looked into how these units work. They all intercept the screen signal from the PCM and override it with their own signal, and they intercept the touch screen input. So, they're a completely separate device that takes over the video from the PCM and substitutes its own. Its audio goes in through an aux input in the PCM, if you want a microphone, it's not possible to tap the existing mic, you have to run a second microphone. It doesn't matter who builds it, whether Mozart, NM Automotive or Joyeauto, they all work this way.

This really does seem like a better deal than this Mozart thing:
https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/carplay-androidauto

I ended up buying a PCM 4.0 car, so didn't need this device in the end.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:20 PM
RGTorque
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tappet
When I was recently doing my research before buying my Cayenne, I looked into how these units work. They all intercept the screen signal from the PCM and override it with their own signal, and they intercept the touch screen input. So, they're a completely separate device that takes over the video from the PCM and substitutes its own. Its audio goes in through an aux input in the PCM, if you want a microphone, it's not possible to tap the existing mic, you have to run a second microphone. It doesn't matter who builds it, whether Mozart, NM Automotive or Joyeauto, they all work this way.

This really does seem like a better deal than this Mozart thing:
https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/carplay-androidauto

I ended up buying a PCM 4.0 car, so didn't need this device in the end.
You only need the mic for siri. I use my phone with mr12v and I did not plug in their included mic, though it's very conveniently hooked into their external box.
The following users liked this post:
ElSpoon958 (09-30-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 10:16 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thing looks interesting:
PCM replacement It says you retain all the functions of the PCM which other replacement units usually loose
Old 09-29-2022, 10:24 PM
RGTorque
Instructor

Originally Posted by Toreador
This thing looks interesting:
PCM replacement It says you retain all the functions of the PCM which other replacement units usually loose
looks like a copy tesla screen...

see my thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...y-options.html
Toreador (09-30-2022)
Old 09-30-2022, 01:02 AM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RGTorque
looks like a copy tesla screen...

see my thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...y-options.html
I had not seen that thread.
Thank you for putting it together
Old 09-30-2022, 09:16 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

There are so many threads and post on this topic, it's fascinating to follow. Everyone has their own opinions it seems, but we're all aiming for the same thing. On one hand, it's great there's so many choices for us, even though many are basically identically rebranded el-cheapo Alibaba modules. On another hand, there really doesn't seem to be any universally agreed upon solid +10 option that delivers Android Auto / Car Play without spending thousands of dollars on an aftermarket setup or losing PCM functionality (my biggest question/concern?) or sound quality.

I really do wonder if the Mr12v claims about the sound quality are to be believed. I'm a huge audiophile guy. While I understand there's better systems out there, I do generally appreciate the factory Bose system I have in my Cayenne at the moment. I know I could do better, but I certainly don't want to do worse. Any degradation to the stock sound quality would negate the benefits of having Android Auto, IMHO. That's why I'm curious about the Mr12v system the most. Otherwise, I've been quoted by the local Car Toys something around $2000-$3000 all said and done for a full aftermarket custom head unit solution like something from Pioneer that would have the Android Auto. But no one seems able to answer my question about whether or not you would lose access to the PCM in any way i.e. the gauge on the main cluster that you interact with via the steering wheel controls on the right.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:10 PM
RGTorque
Instructor

I have bose in my 15 cayenne. I feel like the songs is Better with mr12v... But it may be just me. It most certainly is not worse. It even has a nice equalizer to fine tune your music. If you local to pa 19040 you can play with mine at my shop. I do installs while you wait and it's a bit less than $2-3000.........

Roman
Old 10-01-2022, 12:54 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

I wouldn't buy from Mozart. The start with they are using the Porsche logo, which is illegal. That being said, who's to say that they are a trustworthy company. I'd stay far away from them. So either they know what they are doing is wrong and don't care or they don't know. I don't know which is worse.

ElSpoon958 (10-12-2022)

Quick Reply: Mozart Electronics - Apple CarPlay/Android Auto