Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

No longer 12v power through 7-way trailer plug, bad plug?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 02:58 PM
Dingo24
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default No longer 12v power through 7-way trailer plug, bad plug?

Hey all,

Hooked up the RV today and noticed I’m no longer getting 12v power. All the lights are working as usual (turn signals, parking, brakes) but generally I get actual power to charge the RV batteries / run some equipment.

Thought maybe it was my rV, so I tried my 12V curt echo brake controller and it also no longer powers up.

no corrosion on the plug, before I purchase a new Pollak plug, anything I should try?
Old 09-23-2022, 03:08 PM
Diesel4Life
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

You have a blown fuse. This is man cub 101! Check your manual and find the location of the primary fuse. If it’s good then there is likely an inline fuse between the engine bay and the tow connection. You might also check that you have a good ground. If your receiver ball or trailer hitch is rusty then clean it. You need good metal connection for the circuit to work correctly. Good luck. This is very basic troubleshooting. I’m alarmed. Pulling my 9 year old boy out of school right now to make sure he never has to ask anybody this question.
Old 09-23-2022, 03:46 PM
Dingo24
Advanced

Originally Posted by Diesel4Life
You have a blown fuse. This is man cub 101! Check your manual and find the location of the primary fuse. If it’s good then there is likely an inline fuse between the engine bay and the tow connection. You might also check that you have a good ground. If your receiver ball or trailer hitch is rusty then clean it. You need good metal connection for the circuit to work correctly. Good luck. This is very basic troubleshooting. I’m alarmed. Pulling my 9 year old boy out of school right now to make sure he never has to ask anybody this question.

lol I had a good laugh! But jokes aside, I should have mentioned I did troubleshoot the fuses.

4 fuses labeled trailer hitch control unit in spots 7/8/40/42. All appear fine - one step more I actually took my multimeter to each and every fuse and all have perfect continuity.

I’ve ruled out fuses as my issue.

I have a hunch this time the pollak assembly has gone caput.
The following users liked this post:
lml999 (09-23-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 06:30 PM
Diesel4Life
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingo24
lol I had a good laugh! But jokes aside, I should have mentioned I did troubleshoot the fuses.

4 fuses labeled trailer hitch control unit in spots 7/8/40/42. All appear fine - one step more I actually took my multimeter to each and every fuse and all have perfect continuity.

I’ve ruled out fuses as my issue.

I have a hunch this time the pollak assembly has gone caput.
Well then I stand corrected and apologize for being a smart ***. Buy another assembly or barrow one from a neighbor to confirm your suspicion before wasting more time. Glad you could laugh about it. Your likely a cool dude.

Last edited by Diesel4Life; 09-23-2022 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-29-2022, 03:32 PM
Dingo24
Advanced

I’m stumped - I’ve replaced the Pollak plug with a new one and still no power. Signals, brakes, running lights work without issue, it’s strictly the 12v accessory power.

I’ve confirmed yet again every single fuse on the left and right side of dash + engine bay are perfect.

Any ideas?
Old 09-29-2022, 09:09 PM
Dingo24
Advanced

For reference, this is what I mean about 12V accessory power - label #4 is the issue.

Everything else works, including the ground (assumed since the remainder of the lights require a ground).

Old 09-29-2022, 09:43 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 537 Posts

@Dingo24 Have you tried checking accessory power at the other end of the trailer harness (in the right rear kick panel)? It's a pita to get in there, but you need to start working your way backwards until you find power... It's possible that harness is pinched along the bumper, or is simply partially unplugged. First, pull the green plug and reinsert it. Then pull all the connector to the trailer module and reconnect them. Hopefully...
Dingo24 (10-03-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 10:08 PM
Dingo24
Advanced

Originally Posted by lml999
@Dingo24 Have you tried checking accessory power at the other end of the trailer harness (in the right rear kick panel)? It's a pita to get in there, but you need to start working your way backwards until you find power... It's possible that harness is pinched along the bumper, or is simply partially unplugged. First, pull the green plug and reinsert it. Then pull all the connector to the trailer module and reconnect them. Hopefully...
Thanks for the input! I have not tried the above, but I’ll take a crack at it tomorrow and see what I can come up with. I’m hoping it’s as simple as that; although I find it strange that everything else works.

will report back 👍
lml999 (09-29-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 08:26 AM
Dingo24
Advanced

Originally Posted by lml999
Update; your advice worked (or coincidental timing lol) ! I unplugged the modules in the right rear panel and plugged them back in and power started working again. I confirmed that none of the harnesses were unplugged or loose to begin with so I'm baffled this actually worked.

I got a circuit tracer as well to confirm there was no breaks in the wire, and all seems to be good.

Really strange - I'm not sure where the issue is though, but I hope that it never returns. Thanks again for the advice!
lml999 (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 10:42 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingo24
Update; your advice worked
Yay!

With electronics, reseating the connectors is always a good first step.

(At IBM PC service training in Boca, one of the factory-recommended steps was to lift the front of the PC enclosure an inch off the desk and then drop it, ensuring that either the various connectors and IBM-branded daughter cards would be reseated, or that the computer would be really broken!)

Glad this worked out for you!

Last edited by lml999; 10-03-2022 at 10:45 AM.

Quick Reply: No longer 12v power through 7-way trailer plug, bad plug?