Buzzing / humming noise from engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 07:47 AM
Joostem
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buzzing / humming noise from engine bay

Hi guys,

So there is this buzzing / humming noise coming from my car. It’s sounds like a running pump or something. Inside the car I don’t hear anything so only noticeable from outside.

see the video… any ideas what this could be?
Attached Files
Old 09-19-2022, 07:59 AM
Joostem
Advanced

Just a little add on, I have the feeling it’s coming from the left front of the car. Less obvious on the right or rear
Old 09-20-2022, 09:05 AM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

Passenger side front? Where you are recording, there is nothing down there other than an inter cooler, and a turbo. What your likely hearing the the secondary airpump, as it appears you just started the car, judging my the spider webs on the wheel to fender Area.

Secondly, your car is super dirty. Clean it.
The following users liked this post:
Diesel4Life (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 09:19 AM
Joostem
Advanced

Originally Posted by cwheeler
Passenger side front? Where you are recording, there is nothing down there other than an inter cooler, and a turbo. What your likely hearing the the secondary airpump, as it appears you just started the car, judging my the spider webs on the wheel to fender Area.

Secondly, your car is super dirty. Clean it.
Hi CWheeler,

Actually it’s the driver side front, yeah the car didn’t drive for a about 3 weeks, after driving it a little the sound is less noticeable but still there..

you mean undercarriage clean?
Old 09-20-2022, 06:32 PM
Diesel4Life
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Joostem
Hi CWheeler,

Actually it’s the driver side front, yeah the car didn’t drive for a about 3 weeks, after driving it a little the sound is less noticeable but still there..

you mean undercarriage clean?
If it’s a V8 your never getting rid of that noise. Close this thread because it ain’t happening.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:57 PM
Joostem
Advanced

Originally Posted by Diesel4Life
If it’s a V8 your never getting rid of that noise. Close this thread because it ain’t happening.
Its a Cayenne Turbo

Well I am driving this car for 4 years now just never seemed to have noticed.. 😅

So do you know where the sound is coming from? If it’s normal it’s all good..
Old 09-20-2022, 09:35 PM
Diesel4Life
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Joostem
Its a Cayenne Turbo

Well I am driving this car for 4 years now just never seemed to have noticed.. 😅

So do you know where the sound is coming from? If it’s normal it’s all good..
Power steering and PDCC hydraulic systems are notoriously loud noise on our cars. Yours could be louder than normal if the mounting brackets for your hydraulic lines are deteriorating or loose. If you have PDCC sometimes oil change technicians will loosen your hose brackets for better access to the oil filter. Make sure all of that is tight and not moving around. Other than that we’ve all been chasing this noise on our V8’s. Nothing to worry about, everyone’s does it without any real side effects to the reliability of your ride

Last edited by Diesel4Life; 09-20-2022 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:39 PM
dapopa9
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

There is an in-depth existing post on this noise - https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...rom-what.htmla
Old 09-21-2022, 06:16 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

belt pully wheels are shot.
Old 09-25-2022, 01:04 PM
911S4
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel4Life
Power steering and PDCC hydraulic systems are notoriously loud noise on our cars. Yours could be louder than normal if the mounting brackets for your hydraulic lines are deteriorating or loose. If you have PDCC sometimes oil change technicians will loosen your hose brackets for better access to the oil filter. Make sure all of that is tight and not moving around. Other than that we’ve all been chasing this noise on our V8’s. Nothing to worry about, everyone’s does it without any real side effects to the reliability of your ride
Common problem on CTT’s. I had to replace the pressure hose buffers (3 of them) holding the hydraulic lines (#12 in pic) on my 2015 CTT with PDCC @36k miles. One rubber damper was broken and another split. Removing the bracket holding the lines makes for a much easier oil change to access the filter. Noise issue solved.

Last edited by 911S4; 09-25-2022 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 09:37 AM
Joostem
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911S4
Common problem on CTT’s. I had to replace the pressure hose buffers (3 of them) holding the hydraulic lines (#12 in pic) on my 2015 CTT with PDCC @36k miles. One rubber damper was broken and another split. Removing the bracket holding the lines makes for a much easier oil change to access the filter. Noise issue solved.

Thanks but I actually changed all 3 of those buffers during my last oil change..

I also replaced the PDCC reservoirs for new ones and did the flush diy.

Actually I also notice a noise on low speeds with big steering wheel inputs. Maybe PDCC pump?

Quick Reply: Buzzing / humming noise from engine bay