Sponsored By:

FCP Euro Transmission Service Kit *BUYER BEWARE!*

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 12:38 AM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face FCP Euro Transmission Service Kit *BUYER BEWARE!*

I posted a little about this on my build thread, but I figured it should reach a larger audience. This could serve as more or less a PSA or cautionary FYI for anyone with a 958 who is thinking about or has thought about buying this full transmission fluid service kit from FCP Euro. Prior to this experience, I had held them in fairly high regard. I am subscribed to their YouTube channel and I've purchased a few things from them before this. I had nothing negative to say or think about them whatsoever. And this post isn't meant to be a knock on FCP Euro necessarily. I just want my fellow 958ers to know what they're getting into so they don't make the same mistake as me in thinking this was a fully packaged kit.

I do have to say off the bat that I tried leaving this information in a respectable manner as a review on their product page. I couldn't believe this but my review was deleted/removed. Not once, but twice! So they don't want any potential customers knowing the truth behind this "packaged deal" apparently. That part really shocked me. It makes me question the authenticity or validity of customer reviews on the actual websites now. I mean, I guess I didn't fully trust them before vs. for example a more neutral platform like I don't know, Amazon or something. Just pretty terrible that they removed my comment entirely, no?

FCP Euro advertises this full 958 transmission service kit as being a complete package: all you'll basically need to remove & replace with fresh new parts and fluid after you drain it out and stuff. Like an oil change, but much more involved lol. I quote from their literal product description, "Use this complete and comprehensive auto trans service kit to replace your auto trans oil filter and fluid. Kit includes auto trans fluid, filter, gaskets, and hardware." You can see the screenshot below. I have my 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo 958 on my account or whatever on the FCP Euro website. I made very sure the correct kit matched the correct vehicle. And their little website box part that says: "Yes this part will fit" and hell even the SKU for it is:958TRANSKT. I don't know how much more they could do to really let you know that HEY, this is for a 958 Cayenne transmission, trust us!

My fault was in not actually getting under my Cayenne and looking to see at least on the outside of the fluid pan if it looked compatible with the kit. That's where I should have double checked. Instead, like I said I went to town. I took off all the necessary parts and bits and drained the transmission fluid. As I started to put things back together and actually compare what I had vs the kit I was sold did I realize there was something really wrong here:
  • Their kit sells 11 drain pan bolts, I only received 7. Granted, this was remedied and I was sent the missing 4 bolts. Whoopdeedoo.
  • Their kit sells 1 plug crush gasket/washer, I received 0. Yes, they sent me one after I complained. Again, these are tiny problems in comparison.
  • Here's the fun stuff: Their kit is sold with not one but TWO drain/fill pan bolts. Why? The 958 transmission only has one single bolt, that's it. There's the 1 drain bolt, and after you remove it, you then remove the upper inside green little fluid fill tube that's threaded in that same hole. That's it. There's no need for the massive larger sized bolt and its gasket. They go nowhere. What were they thinking?
  • Their kit is sold with a new transmission filter O-Ring in addition to a new transmission filter that already has the O-Ring installed/included on it anyway. So, why the double charge?
  • Lastly and most importantly IMHO is that FCP Euro sells this kit with just 6 bottles of Liqui-Moly ATF. Little did I know our 958 transmissions call for much, much more than that. Again, my fault for not double checking on this. In my naivety I trusted FCP Euro thinking there's no way a reputable German vehicle parts supplier would get this wrong lol.

Maybe this is just an overly excessive critique of a packaged kit sold for our vehicles and maybe I'm making a big to-do over nothing. But I do think it's concerning when a company pretends to sell a "complete" kit for your vehicle, claiming it's compatible, and proceeds to sell you an very insufficient kit that's missing some parts, adding extra unnecessary parts, and shorting you on the fluid capacity. Combine that with the customer experience of trying to rectify this situation by contacting FCP Euro via phone calls and emails, only to be more or less told to get lost and that I'm the retarded one in this equation. Literally, I haven't felt this gaslit by a company in a while. Like, how was I in the wrong here? Why did my pointing out the deficiencies in their advertising rub them so wrongly? Why did they remove each of my attempts to review this product on their website so future 958 owners don't experience what I went through? For example, I found this company BLAUPARTS that's maybe comparable to FCP Euro somewhat. They sell a 958 transmission service kit and what-do-ya-know? Their kit has 9 bottles of ATF vs just the 6. Hey!

I was belittled and talked down to as a customer when I reached out to them. They first couldn't even give me an answer and "had to talk to their techs" and get back with me. They of course didn't get back with me, so I had to reach out again a day later for a follow up. Here's what's so funny, you know what they told me?? First they said that huge extra second drain pan bolt "wasn't actually for the drain pan, that's for the transmission itself". I'm like, "OK where? Why?" and I triple checked my transmission and found nowhere that kind of bolt/plug would go. It's ridiculous. Secondly they said their "tech" told them something like, "6 bottles of fluid would be more than sufficient for a simple drain and fill and the only reason the capacity calls for 10-12 bottles is for a FULL drain and fill which you don't need".

Just unbelievable, truly. Yeah if so, why does Blauparts sell a kit with 9 bottles? Why does your kit have the wrong parts and inadequate amount of fluid? I think I know why: because it was meant for a 955 or 957 maybe!? I'm just guessing because the YouTube videos I've seen show two pan bolts on the earlier model Cayenne. Additionally, I believe the 955 and/or 957 had a 6 speed transmission (automatic) whereas they started putting a 8 speed automatic in the 958+. And someone correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that ALL models of the 958 had the same exact automatic transmission regardless of the powerplant i.e. S, GTS, Turbo, Diesel, etc. So how could you screw this up FCP? It was just frustrating and confusing for me personally. I hope someone can learn from my mistake. If you purchase from FCP, just buy the parts individually. You don't need two drain pan bolts and gaskets or two filter o-rings, so save that money and put it towards 3-4 more bottles of the fluid, whether you go with Liqui Moly, Ravenol, or OEM or whatever. Just know that 6 bottles ain't gonna cut it no matter what. I burned through those 6 bottles very quickly. In order to get the baby up and running so I could even go to the auto parts store at least, so I could buy a few bottles of generic ATF to add just so I wasn't super low on fluid. I ordered a full 10 bottles of the same Liqui Moly and when it arrives I'll dump the mixed crap out and fill it all back up with the same fluid.

Just a headache and extra money and time wasted in the end. I was hoping that after I kindly pointed out to them all these issues they'd do a customer service gesture of like "oh man we're so sorry you're right we need to rethink this kit and as a token of appreciation let's overnight you those 3 missing bottles of fluid" or SOMETHING. I definitely didn't expect the whole "nah nah nah we're right you're wrong" approach.

lie #1

lie # 2
The following 3 users liked this post by ElSpoon958:
AbominableR (03-13-2024), TyreReviews (09-20-2022), vwbrd (09-20-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 08:45 AM
PFDGSB
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Of all of the issues listed, deleting the review bothers me the most.

​​​​
The following 3 users liked this post by PFDGSB:
cwc1jz (09-19-2022), DemonBG (09-19-2022), ElSpoon958 (09-18-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 09:08 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

1. I buy EVERYTHING from FCPEURO, even went to their facility a few times and they've accommodated me most of the time

2. Review deletion is bad for sure, I'm one to leave reviews all over the place and really bad ones must be earned. I do try keep them to the point.

3. On the kit.... I actually bought same said trans kit.
The larger drain plug is behind the transfer case. If you take off the transfer case, you can fill the trans through that large opening. Everyone fills through bottom as stated by Porsche manuals.
The 6 bottles should be enough if you're just draining the pan as far as I'm aware. If you end up draining the cooler lines, then you need more.

4. Blueparts sells good fluids. Most guys buy their fluid for out transfer case and change it every other oil change, roughly every 12k miles.

Lastly, thanks for the info, but as far as your huge post, idk that FCPEURO is that bad. I think it was just a mistake on the screws and such. Things happen. I checked mine and looks correct, haven't gone in to do it yet.
The following users liked this post:
ElSpoon958 (09-18-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 09:43 AM
PFDGSB
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Agreed. Long post for a smallish problem. If FCP had addressed his review instead of deleting it, I'd bet we wouldn't be seeing this post.

Either way, I hope the OP gets his tranny flushed.
ElSpoon958 (09-18-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 11:06 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by PFDGSB
Agreed. Long post for a smallish problem. If FCP had addressed his review instead of deleting it, I'd bet we wouldn't be seeing this post.

Either way, I hope the OP gets his tranny flushed.
Old 09-18-2022, 02:24 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
but as far as your huge post, idk that FCPEURO is that bad.
Huge, dramatic posts are the OP's thing.

Some things to consider: 6 liters is the normal change capacity when dropping the pan, and dropping the filter. Making a fuss because you couldn't get it done without spare fluid does not seem appropriate at all. This is a technical forum, and this post doesn't really serve much purpose. My vote is to send it to the abyss. Anyone else agree?

And now that you've put generic ATF that does not belong in your transmission to remedy your fluid shortfall, your fix is to buy 10 bottles? What will you do with the 10 liters, considering you only change 6 liters with filter change, and only change 5-5.5 liters when leaving the filter in place?
Since the fluid capacity is 13 liters, hopefully you have a plan to flush your transmission completely, which would likely require about 13 liters , and 15+ if you're messy. Otherwise you will continue to run inappropriate fluid that you pass on to the next owner.

And just to clear your other incorrect assumptions, the transmissions are not exactly the same between the 958 models.
rutthenut (09-22-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 06:09 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
1. I buy EVERYTHING from FCPEURO, even went to their facility a few times and they've accommodated me most of the time

2. Review deletion is bad for sure, I'm one to leave reviews all over the place and really bad ones must be earned. I do try keep them to the point.

3. On the kit.... I actually bought same said trans kit.
The larger drain plug is behind the transfer case. If you take off the transfer case, you can fill the trans through that large opening. Everyone fills through bottom as stated by Porsche manuals.
The 6 bottles should be enough if you're just draining the pan as far as I'm aware. If you end up draining the cooler lines, then you need more.

4. Blueparts sells good fluids. Most guys buy their fluid for out transfer case and change it every other oil change, roughly every 12k miles.

Lastly, thanks for the info, but as far as your huge post, idk that FCPEURO is that bad. I think it was just a mistake on the screws and such. Things happen. I checked mine and looks correct, haven't gone in to do it yet.
I would just ask, why then does Blauparts kit sell with 9 bottles? I don't know about everyone else, but I can tell you just from draining the pan and filter etc, I needed way more than just 6 bottles of new ATF. It was thirsty.

My goal wasn't to make FCP look bad necessarily, but I hope you can see where I was coming from, especially after my concerns were dismissed by them nonchalantly and my reviews keep getting removed. It just stinks of poor behavior all around.
Old 09-18-2022, 06:13 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Originally Posted by garrett376
Huge, dramatic posts are the OP's thing.

Some things to consider: 6 liters is the normal change capacity when dropping the pan, and dropping the filter. Making a fuss because you couldn't get it done without spare fluid does not seem appropriate at all. This is a technical forum, and this post doesn't really serve much purpose. My vote is to send it to the abyss. Anyone else agree?

And now that you've put generic ATF that does not belong in your transmission to remedy your fluid shortfall, your fix is to buy 10 bottles? What will you do with the 10 liters, considering you only change 6 liters with filter change, and only change 5-5.5 liters when leaving the filter in place?
Since the fluid capacity is 13 liters, hopefully you have a plan to flush your transmission completely, which would likely require about 13 liters , and 15+ if you're messy. Otherwise you will continue to run inappropriate fluid that you pass on to the next owner.

And just to clear your other incorrect assumptions, the transmissions are not exactly the same between the 958 models.
Have you ever personally drained and filled the transmission fluid on your 958? Or any 958? I can tell you, 6 bottles is NOT enough. Why would Blauparts sell an identical kit with 9 bottles and oh I don't know, the CORRECT hardware to accompany it? There's no reason for duplicate O-rings, missing bolts, extra crap here and there, and not enough fluid. I get it, adding 3 more bottles of fluid would increase the cost. OK so be it FCP Euro, increase the cost. Just get it right for christ's sake.

And yes, why mix ATF fluids? That's why I'll drain the mixed crap and make sure to refill it all with the same kind of Liqui-Moly.

And someone said it, if FCP hadn't have treated me so poorly, I never would have made this "huge dramatic post" that you claim is "my thing" and you don't even know me one bit. You just like to fight and take time out of your day to crap on everything I post, ever since the drama with your boyfriend tuner Softronic.
Old 09-18-2022, 06:17 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Oh also, the transmissions ARE all the same on the 958 as far as automatics go. And why would FCP Euro sell an ATF fluid service kit if you had one of the very rare manual transmission? Come on lol. As you can see below. So you're wrong about that bit.

958 Transmission:
  • 6-Speed ZF manual
  • 8-Speed Aisin TR-80SD Tiptronic S automatic

Transmission 6-Speed ZF manual 8-Speed Aisin TR-80SD Tiptronic S automatic
Old 09-18-2022, 06:32 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Default 8-Speed Aisin TR-80SD Tiptronic S automatic

I found more info on the 958 automatric transmission that ALL 958s have, the 8-Speed Aisin TR-80SD Tiptronic S automatic: TR80SD Transmission

Very curious, it says: ATF full capacity: 10.5 and ATF (change) capacity: 8. So maybe everyone is wrong lol FCP Euro says 6, Blauparts says 9. As a customer, I'd rather have 1 bottle too much than 3 too little. Just my humble opinion lol.

And here's yet another website on our transmission that states you need at least 7 bottles for filling. Again, FCP Euro is less than that: Transmission repair manuals TR80SD/SN (0C8) so please continue to tell me I'm somehow wrong in all of this??

and:

Old 09-18-2022, 06:47 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

There are different 0C8 958 transmission versions used by Porsche depending on the model you have: One big difference is the different torque converters which results in the different models having different filing capacities. Check your owners manual and under Filling Capacities on page 313 you will see the Base model has an 11.45 liter filling capacity, while the S - GTS - Turbo have a 13.5 liter filling capacity. You can also call up your Porsche dealer and you will find the transmission for a Base model is not the same transmission part number as the Turbo: that is because the number of brake discs in the case that act on the clutches to affect the planetary gearbox vary based on the model from 4 brake discs up to 7.

For reference, not all 958s have the TR-80SD:
The low torque version is TR-80SD (base model, for example)
The high torque version is TR-82SD (V8, and V6/V8 turbos)

Last edited by garrett376; 09-18-2022 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:26 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Originally Posted by garrett376
There are different 0C8 958 transmission versions used by Porsche depending on the model you have: One big difference is the different torque converters which results in the different models having different filing capacities. Check your owners manual and under Filling Capacities on page 313 you will see the Base model has an 11.45 liter filling capacity, while the S - GTS - Turbo have a 13.5 liter filling capacity. You can also call up your Porsche dealer and you will find the transmission for a Base model is not the same transmission part number as the Turbo: that is because the number of brake discs in the case that act on the clutches to affect the planetary gearbox vary based on the model from 4 brake discs up to 7.
OK, well 11.45 and 13.5 are both much higher than 6. And it just seems to be if you were going to pre-package and sell something that's supposed to be sufficient for a fluid service change on a transmission of that size, that regularly calls for over 6 bottles, if not 9 for a drain/fill service, you'd rather err on the side of 1 bottle too many than 3 too little. Just my humble opinion. I think I've demonstrated that most manuals and information online about this transmission AT LEAST calls for 7, if not 8 or 9 bottles vs just the meager 6. That's all I was trying to say.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:37 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I totally agree with you: One man's ATF change is 5 liters, another's is 13! Mine is 13 liters - 14 if I'm pressed for time and don't want to end up short once topping off after flushing out the old, since I don't want to buy the super expensive fluid from the dealer..

If you have not seen it, Doug's transmission flush DIY thread is where it's at; now that you've changed your filter and cleaned the magnets, you should follow that DIY as your guidance to flush out the old stuff, and add in the new. It's far less messy, and far more effective in getting the fluid completely changed.
ElSpoon958 (09-19-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 07:47 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I buy everything I can from FCP as well. The other review of this kit is actually mine…. And it addresses not needing the larger plug and its washer and needing more fluid. Right in the Blau parts description it also states they supply more than needed.
Seems like 6 is bare minimum, 9 is over the top for doing a change with the filter and nothing more. Still quite a bit held in the cooler, lines, and solenoids, nooks and crannies.
I will agree that FCP has had some quality control issues lately. I’ve spent 10’s of thousands of dollars with them over the years, and it seems like here and there you will get a wrong part or missing a part and they always address it quickly.
Their free shipping isn’t what it once was though.
having said all that I wouldn’t shy away from FCP over any of this. You will probably quickly forget it the first time you send back a large shipment of parts and get fully refunded which is the main reason I don’t mind paying a little more through them sometimes because it’s the last time I have to pay for it.
The following 2 users liked this post by volcanogts:
cwc1jz (09-19-2022), ElSpoon958 (09-19-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 08:58 PM
GTCharlie
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

Sorry you had such a frustrating experience with them. I recently placed a big order from FCP including the transmission kit. Having read up on the change I wanted to do, I added 2 bottles for a total of 8. Even so it was $130 less than Blaupoint's (plus some other parts like the pan bolts) and I never have to pay for another change. I thought that was a good deal. Next time I'll order 9 as I used every bit of 8. And even if you don't do a full flush like Doug's method mentioned above I highly recommend using a pressure bleeder to fill it back up. I did it by hand and it was a murder scene by the time I was done. Hope you have better luck next time!
ElSpoon958 (09-19-2022)

Quick Reply: FCP Euro Transmission Service Kit *BUYER BEWARE!*